I killed my cheap chinese job :(

J

jan

much to the old boys annoyance. Am now in the market for a new iwata eclipse. Doing some research. Huge price differences ( in Australia ) .......but I cant see the difference between Eclipse Hpcs, or Hpbs or Hpsbs. They all seem to be dual action, .35 needles with a 2" spread. Any advice?
cheers
Jan

Iwata HP-CS has a large gravity feed paint cup.
Iwata HP-BS (assuming you aren't talking about the HP-BCS) has a smaller but less obtrusive gravity feed paint cup.
Iwata HP-BCS has a suction feed paint cup (uses a seperate cup that connects to the bottom and can be swapped out for other colors etc.).
Iwata HP-SBS (what I would get if I was you) has a side feed paint cup, which looks at first intimidating but is essentially just a suction feed cup on the side (either side for left hand or right hand). The side feed setup is preferable in my eyes as it can be swapped for a 1/8oz, 1/4oz, 1/2oz, or even bigger bottle with a L-shaped connector.

I also live in Australia, and I would suggest buying it from here http://www.airbrushmegastore.com/in...t&page=shop.browse&category_id=1701&Itemid=88 as airbrushmegastore (not affiliated, just a happy customer) has consistent pricing and only 10-15 AUD Express Post shipping to most places in Australia.

As for the needle size and fan size, .35 is right in the middle range, not for tiny tiny detail work or huge murals, but a good all-rounder. Fan size is fairly pointless to know, and 5cm (2 inches roughly) is fine for most, if not all, uses.

Do you mind listing the gear you have at the moment, and the intended uses, just so I can give more of an extensive recommendation?

not at all lol...diddly squat :) hubby bought me a small compressor which came with the cheapy gun.....and 5 bottles of really bad paint....I do have another gun ( also no name ) which I can resurrect. I have used it with a full sized compressor but that became too difficult and noisy and has been packed up for quite a few months.

What are you using airbrushing for? In terms of fine art, models, t-shirts, automotive (probably not) etc?

all sorts of stuff...welding helmets to fairy wings ( fabric ) I was attempting a portrait on a canvas today when I killed my poor brush. I havent said no to automotive stuff yet :)

Ok, great, the Eclipse range would be perfect. Only thing, I would recommend against the HP-BS, as the Iwata "xx-Bx" models don't have a cap that stops paint coming out if you want to mix in the cup. The HP-BS also has a smaller cup which won't be able to hold enough paint for what you want to use it for. You could still use it, only you would need to frequently refill, which depending on the way you put paint in the cup (pouring from a bottle or using a pipette) could get very annoying.

Offtopic, but where were you looking that had the "huge price differences"? I haven't seen too many airbrushing supply shops in Australia, and many that I know of either have limited Iwata stock, or none at all.

looking at the iwat brand.....abwarehouse $219, abshop $217, absupplynetwork only had the?revolution at $225.....I have gone with the cs..:) thanks for the help :)

I can recommend the Hp-cs. The cup is large enough for slightly larger areas while having the advantage (in my eyes anyway) of the gravity fed cup. It's a great brush and can do awesome detail once you get to grips with it.

Also a happy HP_CS user but agree that it takes some time and experimentation to get the detail stuff.
Paint cup has a good capacity for most things, but on larger stuff will need refilling.
As for the other brushes you made references to; it all depends on whether you prefer a side feed, botttom feed or a "top loader" [gravity feed] style of brush.
Each of these has their pro's and cons and are for differing uses generally, but their construction is about the same.

I wanna get my hand on a HP-CS. A lot of the pros use them. Haven't seen much on the side feed version.

Thanks Squishy....I was a little concerned about its ability with detail but I guess that is up to me :)

I looked at the side feed....but I have tiny hands with arthritis and think it would be slightly unbalanced for me....I also shoot with a small camera for the same reasons.

Best thing I can think of is use what feels right and works for you.
You'll know immediately when you first put an airbrush in your hand, if it's going to be the one for you.
Only hassle I found was finding someone who had one to "try" it out first.
Fortunately for me, some of my mates were using some to paint their fishing lures with, so I borrowed some of theirs.
I got good mates.

it is always an issue....that playing with stuff. I live rural...no one I know has airbrushes lol.....no shops local either. I buy most things online.

Hi Jan, i have an Iwata hpc plus. Bought it on Gumtree for half price from a lady who did not know how to use it properly. I do not know what needle and tip size it is. It is only good for small detail, and it regularly frustrates me by not spraying properly, no matter how much the paint is thinned. A really good clean doesn`t seem to help. Maybe needs a new part. I am reluctant to spend money on it as Iwata parts are expensive. I have 2 el cheapos bought on line which work fine most of the time , and can be replaced for $25 to $30 if needed. I was even able to get replacement parts for one for $5.00. Also have 3 Paasche double action guns which work all the time, no matter what you do to them. Excellent quality and craftmanship. I`ve been lucky with them. My first one was given to me by my airbrushing son-in-law. One at a garage sale still in box never been opened $25.00. lol. And another older one in a mixed box of air parts , hoses, etc. for a $2.00 offer. Gave the airbrush a clean up and it`s as good as new. Anyhow Jan, that is my experience with an Iwata. I thought i would never be lucky enough to own one, and when i got one i was disappointed. I`m blaming the brush, but maybe it`s just me and the flaming hot weather plays havoc with dry tip. I`m on the Sunshine Coast Qld. cheers.

Hi Jan, i have an Iwata hpc plus. Bought it on Gumtree for half price from a lady who did not know how to use it properly. I do not know what needle and tip size it is. It is only good for small detail, and it regularly frustrates me by not spraying properly, no matter how much the paint is thinned. A really good clean doesn`t seem to help. Maybe needs a new part. I am reluctant to spend money on it as Iwata parts are expensive. I have 2 el cheapos bought on line which work fine most of the time , and can be replaced for $25 to $30 if needed. I was even able to get replacement parts for one for $5.00. Also have 3 Paasche double action guns which work all the time, no matter what you do to them. Excellent quality and craftmanship. I`ve been lucky with them. My first one was given to me by my airbrushing son-in-law. One at a garage sale still in box never been opened $25.00. lol. And another older one in a mixed box of air parts , hoses, etc. for a $2.00 offer. Gave the airbrush a clean up and it`s as good as new. Anyhow Jan, that is my experience with an Iwata. I thought i would never be lucky enough to own one, and when i got one i was disappointed. I`m blaming the brush, but maybe it`s just me and the flaming hot weather plays havoc with dry tip. I`m on the Sunshine Coast Qld. cheers.

The HPC+ is a .3mm nozzle from the factory. The performance you are getting out of it explains the price you got it for. I would say the nozzle is clogged. If the previous owner used a lacquer based paint in it and didn't maintain it well, you may not be able to get it out. Replacing the nozzle may be your only option. If you get it fixed, I'm sure it will perform better and more consistent than your other brushes. I have two Iwata's and they are both rock solid.

I am rocking 9 Iwatas , when not clean they can be touchy, squeaky clean and I wouldn't trade them for the world.0

Thanks for giving me your experiences Brushahhh. I am hoping I have a better experience with a better brush :)

Back