I'm confused

W

Wayne Wickers II

I don't want to keep sounding like a noob (I've been airbrushing for 25 years); however I am now thoroughly confused. I spoke with people on this site as well as reps from both Badger and Iwata. Everyone says I'd need two brushes, a siphon feed around 0.5mm for textiles and then a Custom Micron with illustrator paint for board work. However I CLEARLY see Aleksandar Paunkovic on YouTube painting (VERY well indeed) T-shirts with what is obviously a CM-C+. I am so confused. Can I or CANT I use a Custom Micron to push thicker textile paints? Ive used regular Badgers, Paaches, Aztecs and Vega 2000s for EVERYTHING before but just want better quality.

With a lot of reduction you'll be able to get regular createx to go through a 0.2 (used it in a H&S evolution when i started out) so you should be able to get it through a 0.18 micron. Wether you'll like how it flows and the amount of tipdry will be a completely different question though (gues you'll get used to it after a while maybe). So yes you can use a micron but keep in mind it's not the tool for the job (or paint in this case :)) so don't blame the gun for all the problems your'e probably gonna have :p

I haven been able to get regular createx to flow nicely through anything below a 0,4 (I think 0.5 is mentioned as recommended on the bottle)

Aleksandar Paunkovic I just checked his youtube page and I do not see any t-shirts being painted. Walls murals, canvas , and artist board Yes but no t-shirts.
So seeing him use a micron for the type of material he works on is right.
For someone who has been playing the game for 25 plus years you should be better versed in the world of paint. Standard Createx is made and designed for textiles. Design to go through a .5 or larger nozzle at 60 PSI Might want to check on folks like Terry Hill

He does a Tshirt of a hand holding the Tshirt in black and white. He is CLEARLY using a CM. The only paint I've ever used has been Createx. Just now branching into STRICTLY board and illustration work. Don't want to be just a Tshirt artist.

I have just recently started to do tshirts and have been using Medea textile paints, they say in the packaging thats they are the only textile paints that are designed to go thro the microns 0.18 needle. While this is true for most of the colours with a bit of reduction, i have even sprayed the black thro the micron but the white i find you would have trouble getting thro the back door. I also tried the white thro my Neo, it is possible but i had to reduce it that much i wasnt getting any coverage. So textile paints can be sprayed thro a small nozzle but as the guys above have said it takes a bit of reduction

Can I or CANT I use a Custom Micron to push thicker textile paints?

Whether paint goes or not through micron's nozzle depends on propper reduction.
If you're in Europe I'd recomend to use JAVANA textile paints (made in Germany). They're waterbased but there's almost NO tip dry there. And the paint itself once is dried becomes like a very thin layer of rubber. It's very pleasant to body feel.

if your mainly painting T-Shirts consider a badger Anthem 155, much better than all other alternatives and will argue that till blue in the face, there is NO better TShirt Gun or imho multipurpose gun. Siphon-For quick color changes, 3-1 needle for fine to course spray, comfortable and precise. Put a fineline conversion kit on it if and when you want to do some finer detail art..You don't need multiple guns, just the right one to suit your needs and if your needs are TShirts one day then fine art the next, perhaps one for each isn't not the worst idea, and likely that's what 90% of us do..jeez why stop at one or two guns, they need friends too ;).

On textile paints though and putting such through a fine needle, the idea of textile paints is that you don't want to reduce them, leaving them the full strength they are designed to be is the only way to really get a strong color into the weave and have the color stay strong and steadfast, reducing textile paints is weakinging them and reducing their life for the wearer. I would suggest its likely a better idea for a micron or similar not to be used in this application as they ain't designed for it. Its not the reduction thats really the issue its the size of the pigment grind. trying to squeeze the larger pigment through a smaller needle gun sounds painful LOL, and I assume thats why the reps suggest both, as if you do TShirt paint a bit, most smaller nozzle guns ain't designed for it besides the Anthem LOL, oh and prob a few more but consider something with a 3-1 needle and you'll be surprised what they can do at both ends of the spectrum.

best of luck :)

Rebel thank you so much for the insight. I have decided to go with your recommended Badger for shirts and a CM for illustration. Does anyone know where I can get the adapter for the pressure since only the Cplus comes with it built in?

Back