Inexpensive DA advice?

D

Dark Rose

I'm looking for an inexpensive DA siphon feed internal mix AB... I'm not an artist, just a hobbyist at the moment. Currently I've been using it to prime/seal my hand cast miniatures, so I went to the cheap plastic Paasche SA just to cut down on overspray waste and for thinner coats. Locally I can get and have been using some of the Creatix paints and tried some of the cheap hobby acrylics with mixed results... I'm looking to maybe get back into plastic models in the future and be able to do better camo/shading/detailing.
Right now I'm looking at 3, trying to keep it under $100.
Paasche VL
Iwata Neo
Iwata Revolution BCR

Any distinct pros and cons to any of them? I can find limited parts for each locally (Hobby Lobby is all we have).
I'm currently using a cheap 3 gal tank compressor with regulator and water trap. I can get Creatix paints and maybe some of the Aztek paints locally.
I'm having problems with my cheap external mix clogging, because once I prime so many parts I set them aside, get more ready, and it takes a few minutes...
So I'm looking for a better option with more flexibility on a budget.
Thoughts?

Not sure about the Paasche, the REvolution is probably the better of the Iwata ones, the Neo is just branded Iwata. Check the needle packing, if you are going to use anything other than water based make sure it is a PTFE aka Teflon (solvent resistant) needle packing. Createx paints can be problematic, they were intended for textiles and like a larger nozzle. Maybe go with the Aztek paints. Just make sure they are Ab specific.

These reviews are all for gravity feed (except the VL) but I think you can get all these brushes in siphon.

VL review from a reviewer who knows AB's... https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/paasche-vl
Revolution https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/iwata-revolution-hp-cr
Neo https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/neo-for-iwata

My recommendation is the Iwata Eclipse, little more pricey - worth the dollars!
https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/iwata-eclipse-hp-cs-review

Go with Iwata, and Wicked paints. Make sure to get the reducer, add that in the cup first, then paint and shake

I didn't realize Createx was for textiles... my local Hobby Lobby sells their Wicked Colors, Candy20, AutoAir and Airbrush colors...

And at the moment being laid off for an undetermined time (until business picks up) and on unemployment, budget is important. Looking to make some side money as I cast chess sets and make boards to sell, so I try to save money where I can.

I'm leaning towards the Revolution or VL, read good reviews of both... Everyone seems to say the Iwatas have a much smoother and better trigger and are more comfortable to handle...

Wanting siphon but what's the tradeoff vs gravity fed? More capacity and options on spray direction? (Easier to spray upwards?)

Check the clearance area at hobby lobby, I've found wicked and wicked detail there for 2-3 bucks a bottle. Also check eBay for used stuff. Old badger 150's can be had cheap. I'm sure iwatas too. Gravity tends to be more for detail with smaller nozzles and lower pressures, which means mix is more important. Siphon usually has larger nozzle so you could get away with thicker paint, but need more pressure. I like my siphons for spraying stuff right out the bottle. Just blow out the tube and back flush in cleaner. Gravity will need attention to viscosity but great for details and fine lines.

I will throw another brush out there for consideration, and that would be a Badger 155 Anthem (if you are hooked on the siphon feed idea). I just picked one up off ebay brand new, with three bottles, cup, and hose for around $85 delivered. Unless you step up to the Iwata Eclipse, I think this could be the best choice in that particular range...

The original Createx was developed for Textile, canvas, wood and tag work. It is the water based acrylic. Wicked has a small amount of solvent to help reduce tip dry and is semi transparent. Wicked detail is the same but is the transparent line. Createx Illustration is similar but has a cross link abilities so that they are able to be easily erased and scratched until the cross link window is over and the paint has cured fully. All are decent paints. I have used them all. Wicked was my favorite. Now I use E'Tac because I ran into too much trouble with CI flow and clogging and spitting issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

I will throw another brush out there for consideration, and that would be a Badger 155 Anthem (if you are hooked on the siphon feed idea). I just picked one up off ebay brand new, with three bottles, cup, and hose for around $85 delivered. Unless you step up to the Iwata Eclipse, I think this could be the best choice in that particular range...
Yeah for sure. I got mine cheap on clearance at Michael's for 35 bucks. It's my workhorse for lures. Base coats, pearls and metallic with ease. Nice big nozzle and the taper on the needle is pretty stout. Very good brush for some of what I do. I was able to get some great detail as well. Love that Anthem, it's brother in gravity feed is the patriot which I also like. Smaller nozzle.

Well I can get the Badger 150 set and Badger Renegade Rage set both right at my $100 mark... and both are gravity/siphon kits...
I was looking to narrow my choices now it looks like I'm expanding...
Do Badger parts interchange with Iwata or Paasche? I don't think there's anyplace within about a 45 min drive that would carry them... and even then I'm not sure. Got a Michaels and Hobbytown USA about 45 mins from me...

The rage is great too. I love my renegades. Better than 150. Parts do not interchange between brands. I have all badgers and there is some interchangeability within them. You shouldn't need parts if you take care of them. Maybe an extra needle nozzle set in case you bend one. The renegades have a nice two prong needle guard that has saved me bent needles. You can still pick off tip dry, on the 150 you can't, gotta use a brush to get in there. I'd get the rage or anthem, but that's me. Hobby Lobby carries iwata, so if you needed something.

Well I can get the Badger 150 set and Badger Renegade Rage set both right at my $100 mark... and both are gravity/siphon kits...
I was looking to narrow my choices now it looks like I'm expanding...
Do Badger parts interchange with Iwata or Paasche? I don't think there's anyplace within about a 45 min drive that would carry them... and even then I'm not sure. Got a Michaels and Hobbytown USA about 45 mins from me...

Parts do not interchange - but that being said, I can tell you that Badger has one of the best customer support operations in the industry. They have a FB group, and the owner is very active/present most of the time. Very easy to deal with, and I have yet to hear of anyone not being able to get something taken care of, if the need arose. I have a few older Badger brushes, and they rebuilt them for just about what it cost to ship them, far below what parts alone would have cost - and it was an easy experience. I have a Paasche, and they too can be work horses, but they are among my most unused brushes...

Well I think at this point I'll be saving pennies for the Badger Renegade Rage set... I like the look and flexibility of siphon or gravity if/when I progress to more detailed work.

It looks to come with .21mm and .33mm tips, any other size I'd need to have a good overall setup? At the moment I'm painting/priming figures about 2" tall, But if I get back into models I'd be doing plastic tank and vehicle models...

I wasn't aware of any gravity/siphon gun other than the 3155 universal I think it is. Are you talking about a multiple brush set? The rage is a siphon feed, you can change needle and nozzle to the smaller size but it's still a siphon gun. I'm confused.

Well just for convenience that's what I was looking at but the Badger has a siphon feed cup included.
If I get all my pieces set out ahead of time (I put them on plywood I cut to fit on my lazy susan turntable deal) I can go through a... 2oz? glass jar or plastic siphon bottle in one session priming 32-64 pieces at once.

Chicago airbrush has the rage for 96 and free ship. The cup is nice for small amounts of paint. You get an extra tip and nozzle cap of the same size. That's how all mine came and I'm very happy with them.

Back