Is the micron worth the money?

Cheryl have you tried side feed before? I know I had a Renegade side feed at one time and just didn't like it. It was the fact that the cup always ended up on the wrong side for angles spraying. I have the cm-c and cm-b. This way I have both sizes in Gravity feed. Just suits me better.

If I got another Micron, I'd probably get the B also. I just don't like side feeds.

Those damn Microns would have to be at least $5 cheaper before I would ever consider buying one, until that happens they are just not worth it.

I don't believe for one minute they can ever come close to the precision detail I can get with my wall mart sandblaster.

:)

Ah, bad news malky, i heard they where gonna raise the price by $2.50, i can prob sort you the .50 if that helps

love my infinity and my micron and hi-line and all my other brushes. But if I have tight detail I don't want to fight my equipment on I grab the micron. I can get the same detail from the infinity or the badger but not with the ssme ease of the micron. It is a tool with a purpose use it for that take care of it and don't ever drop it you will be happy.

I just want to give my perspective on this topic as a relative newbie that has been airbrushing about 10 months now. I started with the HP-CH. Got an infinity for because they are cheaper than a micron and I love the multiple nozzle size options and the ease of change. The opportunity came to get a CM-SB 2 cheap(ish). Whilst I love my other airbrushes, they are just not as good. The micron does atomise better than the other brushes. It is more reliable. I spend less time getting it to work right. The HP-CH is just as responsive when it is working well but does not atomise quite as well. I also seem to spend more time to get it to work right. The infinity I found less responsive unless I tightened the trigger spring beyond my preference.
As a newbie I thought that this sort of money would be wasted on me. I was wrong! I now think that learning to airbrush would have been so much easier with an airbrush that just worked properly each time I picked it up. Is it worth the difference in price over the other airbrushes? In my mind yes, I'd pay the extra for a 20% better airbrush but for those that can't or won't then the Infinity or the HP-CH are damn good airbrushes.

I was planning to get the HP-CH as my first detail airbrush, but after reading this post, I'm thinking about just going all out and getting the Kustom Micron CM. Its my intension to get serious about airbrushing and I want an airbrush that will do anything I want, when I want it to. I'm a firm believer that the tool you use should be better than you are. Unfortunately, that will usually cost you more, but for some things, you really do get what you pay for. I think airbrushes are one of them.

I too was curious if the Micron was really worth double the price of a HP-CH with a 0.2mm nozzle. I have never used either, but the simple answer I have found was both no and yes. I don't think it is worth it for most people. They just won't notice enough of a difference for the extra money. This could be due to their skill, the type of paintings they do or how much they paint. For a lot of people though, it will be worth it without question.

I think Wayne said it best though. "If you can't decide if it's worth it then you are not ready for a Micron."

I was planning to get the HP-CH as my first detail airbrush, but after reading this post, I'm thinking about just going all out and getting the Kustom Micron CM. Its my intension to get serious about airbrushing and I want an airbrush that will do anything I want, when I want it to. I'm a firm believer that the tool you use should be better than you are. Unfortunately, that will usually cost you more, but for some things, you really do get what you pay for. I think airbrushes are one of them.

I too was curious if the Micron was really worth double the price of a HP-CH with a 0.2mm nozzle. I have never used either, but the simple answer I have found was both no and yes. I don't think it is worth it for most people. They just won't notice enough of a difference for the extra money. This could be due to their skill, the type of paintings they do or how much they paint. For a lot of people though, it will be worth it without question.

I think Wayne said it best though. "If you can't decide if it's worth it then you are not ready for a Micron."

It is definitely much easier to control. I've used a lot of brands and models, not one has been as responsive and consistent.

You sound like you're ready. Lol

It is definitely much easier to control. I've used a lot of brands and models, not one has been as responsive and consistent.

You sound like you're ready. Lol

Yes, my mind is, my wallet is not. LOL. I actually just got my first "real" airbrush, Iwata HP-CS. I have not even had a chance to use it yet. :( I'm going to pay for the Dru Blair's Achieving Photorealism class at the Orlando airbrush getaway first, then get the micron.

At the Dru class you will use one and you can then make up your mind.

Probably not at the Getaway. All the brushes are supplied by Iwata and they don't loan out Microns. When I did the Getaway in Orlando for the Johannes Wessmark class, we used HP-SB's. Dru has CM-SB's at his classes in South Carolina, unless he brings them with him.

Probably not at the Getaway. All the brushes are supplied by Iwata and they don't loan out Microns. When I did the Getaway in Orlando for the Johannes Wessmark class, we used HP-SB's. Dru has CM-SB's at his classes in South Carolina, unless he brings them with him.

That sucks. Guess they can't afford for Microns to get hurt.

Maybe that is one reason the class cost less than at his school.
The Getaway class doesn't have near the content of Dru's class due to time. I was happy with just what I got from the Getaway class though. I was stuck on color for a while and it helped out a lot. The Getaway is about 8 hours a day over 3 days where Dru's class was about 12 hours a day over 4 days.

Hi guys, i seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest amongst a few of you guys by starting this thread, whoops, sorry, didn't think things would get so heated! So without trying to annoy anyone any further( I hope!), I can see the majority of you seem to go with the micron as being worth the money and that's great, i was kinda swaying that way its just my heart and mind (not to mention my wallet!)were in conflict!.I don,t want to buy something I might regret and it seems If i invest in a micron i won't, so at the risk of stirring it up again here goes!.....if I can pick up an original micron cmc for around £250 or whatever, would I be better off getting the version 2 with its extra bells and whistles for the extra financial outlay? do the NEW changes make the original lesser of a brush?
Again, I don,t want to start a row over it!,it's a lot of money to part with so I want to get it right and I do appreciate any opinion, I know opinions vary but if the best IS the best for all the right reasons, then that's where I,ll invest my cash! Thanks guys!

Hi guys, i seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest amongst a few of you guys by starting this thread, whoops, sorry, didn't think things would get so heated! So without trying to annoy anyone any further( I hope!), I can see the majority of you seem to go with the micron as being worth the money and that's great, i was kinda swaying that way its just my heart and mind (not to mention my wallet!)were in conflict!.I don,t want to buy something I might regret and it seems If i invest in a micron i won't, so at the risk of stirring it up again here goes!.....if I can pick up an original micron cmc for around £250 or whatever, would I be better off getting the version 2 with its extra bells and whistles for the extra financial outlay? do the NEW changes make the original lesser of a brush?
Again, I don,t want to start a row over it!,it's a lot of money to part with so I want to get it right and I do appreciate any opinion, I know opinions vary but if the best IS the best for all the right reasons, then that's where I,ll invest my cash! Thanks guys!
This may be something that only someone that has used both versions could answer but I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I have the CM-SB version 2 and I am very happy with it. However if I could have got the version 1 for a lot less, I probably would have. I can't compare the 2 but I figure that for decades the version 1 has been and continues to be used by many top airbrush artists. It must still be a cracking good airbrush. I love my version 2 and find the atomisation fantastic but I can't say whether this is better than version 1. The taller square trigger is something that is personal preference. Some still prefer the older round version.

if I can pick up an original micron cmc for around £250 or whatever, would I be better off getting the version 2 with its extra bells and whistles for the extra financial outlay? do the NEW changes make the original lesser of a brush?

You are asking a legit question, if that "stirs up a hornets nest" I wouldn't worry about it, we have admins to handle that if needed :).

I own the early version of the CM-SB and have painted with the newer version. For me (we are talking an airbrush here so this is all personal) the trigger of the new version feels a bit better, its bigger giving better grip and a bit higher which just feels a bit better. As for the qualities that actualy matter (how it sprays) I must say I didn't note any difference (and at the risk of sounding arogant, I think I would notice it if there was a more than realy slight difference in performance).

I generaly tend to want the very best of equipement but I haven't switched to the new one and am not planning on doing it (might fit the new trigger though sometime as it is sold seperately but not in a hurry to do that). If I had to buy a micron and could get the old one a reasonable amount cheaper I'd get the old one (look at some websites of shops if you decide to go for an old one, a few months back some went out at 25%+ discount)

In my eyes, go for the original......foxy studio.com has a sale on the older type , the older type does have a slightly l9nger needle than the v2 but will take the new needles just fine aswell........ go for it!

This may be something that only someone that has used both versions could answer but I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I have the CM-SB version 2 and I am very happy with it. However if I could have got the version 1 for a lot less, I probably would have. I can't compare the 2 but I figure that for decades the version 1 has been and continues to be used by many top airbrush artists. It must still be a cracking good airbrush. I love my version 2 and find the atomisation fantastic but I can't say whether this is better than version 1. The taller square trigger is something that is personal preference. Some still prefer the older round version.
Thanks supernova, you make a good point about the original. I may just be getting a little paranoid about having the newest thing I don,t know, but without knowing it,s kinda like splashing out all your cash on the latest Ferrari before they announce the next model will be out a week later!, if that makes sense!

People please!!! Tell everyone the newer version is better!!!! It's my only chance to get a micron, if no one wants the old ones anymore and they get much cheaper lollollollollollollollol I would be more than happy with the original, I have small hands and don't like tall triggers.

But the new ones are SO much better, and if you get one you will become an instantly famous artist, with untold riches (work with me here guys), and the opposite sex will throw themselves at you, and all your dreams will come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want those old, POS microns, with no life changing benefits.

People please!!! Tell everyone the newer version is better!!!! It's my only chance to get a micron, if no one wants the old ones anymore and they get much cheaper lollollollollollollollol I would be more than happy with the original, I have small hands and don't like tall triggers.

But the new ones are SO much better, and if you get one you will become an instantly famous artist, with untold riches (work with me here guys), and the opposite sex will throw themselves at you, and all your dreams will come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want those old, POS microns, with no life changing benefits.
Oh Yeah, forgot about that. Since getting my CM-SB2 I have had women throwing themselves at me!
err sorry typo, should have been woman.

Back