Is this good?

N

neeks

Hello, I'm wanting to start airbrushing models and wanted to know if this was a good enough kit. I know the compressor doesn't go too high, but I know it doesn't take too much with models. I don't want to spend a lot so I can give it a try before I invest too much. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190936001996

As Andre has said it wont last, i had a compressor like that and it started to pulse after a week, spend a bit more to get something decent

that would be like putting your money in the bin , it is crap and will only give you trouble from the start

I can vouch for that from experience, and as @AndreZA says all that will last is the hose, I'm still using the hose from it from 4 years ago, lol, although to be fair, the plastic box the excremente brush comes in is real handy for your cleaning stuff and spares should you ever get a real brush;)

You did right to ask here before throwing away your money thereby avoiding yourself a load of misery and frustration:thumbsup:

P.S. I had one of those little compressors and the only enjoyment I got out of it was it being able to dance, I used to put my I-tunes on and watch it perform the dangleberry waltz, that was really cool until it fell of the edge of the desk and shattered :cry: same thing happened to my little monkey with the cymbals when I was a child, I remember my mum saying "keep it on the floor son, it will be safer there" but no, I had to have it on the kitchen table just because I liked to see it trip over and bump into cups and saucers and other dangerous obstacles hoping it would fall on it's face and get gashed by the cymbals and have scars just like my Chucky doll does now, but instead it fell on the floor and both it's arms broke off and it couldn't play the cymbals any more, this pleased my mum no end but the fact that it lay there still smiling freaked me out totally, I mean would you still be smiling after such an ordeal?, I doubt I would:eek: I still have nightmares about the whole incident, I had to get rid of my therapist because she too used to smile a lot and after three years all I could see was that damn monkey's face, but these days I get a little comfort out of taking my two Chucky dolls to bed with me, I know they will protect me while I sleep and they will stab that damn monkey if he rears his ugly little head, now this may sound like useless information to you but just know that by taking the advice given to you (free of charge) here above you can avoid traumas just like this one and have a happy carefree airbrushing life, it's too late for me now but you have your whole life ahead of you so don't waste it like what I did...... OH, and always listen to your mum, "MUM KNOWS BEST":thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I appreciate all the replies. I'm honestly fine if it doesn't last long at all. I just don't want to spend a ton and not like it you know? My main worry is whether the 15psi it can handle continuously is enough for models. Don't get me wrong. I understand it's crap. I do.

I appreciate all the replies. I'm honestly fine if it doesn't last long at all. I just don't want to spend a ton and not like it you know? My main worry is whether the 15psi it can handle continuously is enough for models. Don't get me wrong. I understand it's crap. I do.
Hey neeks,
Its not just that its crap and cheap, it will frustrate you and might even put you off all together, this is the reason the guys have said get something a bit more decent, i got a single piston compressor and an Neo airbrush for under a hundred, im still using them after a yet and a half

It's not just the fact that it won't last long that is the problem, it's also the fact that it just wont perform for you, you may get two trouble free days of use from it and then you'll be pulling your hair out, the compressor is useless and continous use will burn it out within days, it will pulse and your paint will splatter instead of spray, please believe this, I've had the kit and almost gave up completely.

If you are set on a kit with all you need have a look at badger kits or even separate badger bruges and small badger compressors, if you find these it would be a far better option than having to replace the cheap kit you posted two or three times, the only thing you are guaranteed with these cheap kits is grief.

15 psi wont get you anywhere , that is the pressure I would use for over reduced paint and I am talking about good airbrush paint and a Iwata micron and if I talk about over reduced paint I talk about 1 drop paint to a minimum of 5 drops water

If you buy that setup, I predict you won't like it and you will give up. It's marginal for inks and dyes and poor for hobby paints. It's not just pressure. It's also about pressure at volume. If you really want to go cheap, at least get something useable. This Harbor Freight setup is no premium choice, but at least it will produce a decent spray with hobby paint. If you can't afford that, stick with spray cans.

Listen to these guys. They know what they're talking about.

Don

I have a back up compressor like that one and it does the job alright so that is a good starter compressor , the airbrush is still crap tho

Okay thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I won't get that one. Does this look any better?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001T...=8-2&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=airbrush

If not, I'll just have to spend more than I planned.

As Ron said the compressor would give a good start, I have the same compressor with a tank, it's been running for 3 years without a hitch.

The brush is crap but it would allow you time to save for good badger brush which are very reanalysis priced.

May I ask what models you want to paint?

As Ron said the compressor would give a good start, I have the same compressor with a tank, it's been running for 3 years without a hitch.

The brush is crap but it would allow you time to save for good badger brush which are very reanalysis priced.

May I ask what models you want to paint?
Mostly 3d printed models. I saw someone use an airbrush on a 3d printed lightsaber and it looked amazing.

Mostly 3d printed models. I saw someone use an airbrush on a 3d printed lightsaber and it looked amazing.

If you already have some painted in other mediums feel free to post some up.

I started airbrushing to paint my model planes and fibreglass helicopter canopies but ended up doing art instead, that's another reason to buy good equipment, once you get the bug you want paint everything.

But an airbrush is indeed ideal for any kind of models since you have ability to make them more realistic by learning weathering, aging and other different techniques.

If you already have some painted in other mediums feel free to post some up.

I started airbrushing to paint my model planes and fibreglass helicopter canopies but ended up doing art instead, that's another reason to buy good equipment, once you get the bug you want paint everything.

But an airbrush is indeed ideal for any kind of models since you have ability to make them more realistic by learning weathering, aging and other different techniques.
Here it is right here:http://www.redicubricks.com/3d-printed-lightsaber-painting-tutorial/

I have been using that same compressor for last 18 months and its done me well, i will eventually get one with a tank like the one @ Madbrush has, hes always saying its a good bit of kit for the money
Is the airbrush any good at all?

They are very hit and miss, more miss, i got two with mine and they were pants, as i said above the Neo is a decent brush for starters 0.35 nozzle the gravity feed comes with a big and small cup size, theres a thread on here called "which airbrush" or some thing like that, have a read at that plus search for the names of different brushes on the forum someones bound to have asked a question about it before. Your lucky you cane here before you bought anything, best place to et advice, i was down 3 excrementty airbrushes and a piss compressor before i found this place lol

The airbrush is crap but it will give you start and can look around for a more suitable brush at your leisure, all the major brands have entry level brushes which are very affordable and reliable, as Matty mentioned the Neo for Iwata is probably a good choice in your case, I have one of those too and it is a good all rounder, it has a slightly smaller tip than H&S in the video from your link at 0.35.

Back