Iwata brush opinions

markjthomson

AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind
Staff member
Admin
Hi all...

My back ground with spraying is aeronautical painting, I refer to it as 1:1 model finishing!

I'm about to get myself a nice general all round type brush. I really like the Iwata HP-CH brush but for the additional $100 nz the main difference I see between this brush and the Iwata-C Plus is the MAC valve on the former.

While I love having air pressure right at my finger tips it's not a deal breaker. Is there any particular comment you guys have on any difference between the 2 brushes?

Thanks, Mark

Get the C+ and get an inline regulator for the hose. It's a lot cheaper. Personally I don't like the Hi-line or Performance series because you have to unscrew the nozzle to clean in. Eclipse and Micron you get better access to the nozzle for cleaning.

Thanks for that Andre, I will probably be painting cap off so that's OK. Yes, that's what I was figuring.

I mean to get to the back of the nozzle you need to unscrew it to clean it. Flushing it does not get rid of all of the paint inside.

So the C plus has the very small nozzle where as the eclipse has the larger nozzle (for the same diameter needle) part? Is that correct?

yer..... so you just have to take off the whole head assembly and clean rather than unscrew cap and fiddly nozzle.....

apart from that the micron is all round better than any brush in the hi line or hp series

That's what I thought. Yes, the micron looks beautiful... outside my current budget. Well, OK, no, It is within my budget but i'd have to puff into the hose to get it working - need a compressor as well. On my yes please list!!

I would go for the brush without the built in mac valve and get a much cheaper in line one. It does the same job at the end of the day. More money left for the compressor and paint.

Lee

the hp-ch is a great brush and many on here absolutely swear by it, the micron is pretty much as good as you can get at this current time, maybe not the ideal brush for beginners, but with your relative experience maybe it wouldnt be wasted......

check out lion art in holland...... you get tax back when ordering outside of e.u..... they have a sale on the micron as the micron 2 is now out..... not a massive amount of difference so the original micron range is still a great buy.....specially at these prices

http://www.lion-art.nl/contents/nl/d4.html#p3508

I never really change my pressure once I get going, although I know people love mac valves, I've never been fussed about having one. Apart from the smaller nozzle size on those two brushes (I believe both are .3 with the option to change to .2 on the HP-CH) you are paying for extra gadgets on the brush. The valve and pre set handle on the CH, and the pre set handle on the C plus. I personally don't like the pre set handles, you need to vary the amount you spray constantly to get different tones etc, so for me I don't see the point - again I'm sure there are people who like them.

The HP-CS however has all the Iwata quality and same cup size, at a much lower price £118.00 as apposed to the £225 for the Ch and £180 for the C-plus (guess your prices will be different, but I assume comparatively) You don't get the gadgets, but the other difference is the nozzle which is .35, so a bit bigger. A .2 nozzle may make fine lines and detail easier once you get paint reduction, technique etc right, but you can get those same lines with the .35 when you get to know your airbrush, it probably takes a bit more practice though. Plus the CS will also give you a 2 inch spray pattern too, so is very versatile, a great all rounder and is way easier to clean and maintain, and a self centering nozzle (i think the CH also has the single-piece auxiliary lever/needle-chucking guide, but not the self centering nozzle) which makes life much easier . And even though it is cheaper you won't outgrow it, the better you get, the more you will get out of it. I use the CS all the time, and would only upgrade to a micron for super fine detail, but even then I still think the CS would remain my go to brush. (just need to win the lotto lol)

So really it just depends on whether you are set on the smaller nozzle size, think you have use for the gadgets, and whether it is worth the extra money to you. :)

I'm not a big fan of airbrushes with built-in MAC valves. I just use an in-line valve like the Grex G-Mac. Cheaper, much easier, and for the cost of a couple QD's, you can use the G-MAC on all of your airbrushes (I know you're starting with one, but that usually doesn't last all that long before Gear Aquisition Syndrome kicks in).

As far as Iwata in general, I've used a ton of different brands and types of airbrushes, but I wind up back with Iwata. They just work reliably and without the fussiness I've noticed in other brands. The only airbrushes I like better than Iwata is Olympos, and their basically cousin-companies (long story short, Olympos basically got Iwata started out, and most of Iwata's airbrushes are still based off of Olympos designs).

What kind of aircraft painting do you do? I'm going to check out a job with Gulf Stream on Monday.

Hey there HCP-Draggin ... yes, Gear Acquisition Syndrome is well developed here... Thanks for that tip... QD removed form order, G Mac put in. That's perfect!
I have sprayed many Iroquois UH1H's, a few Westland Wasps, partial repaints on P3C Orions, C-130's and 727's along with so many components I can't remember!! Oh, and a Mk 7 Lancaster! We used 2 pack polyurethanes and Iwata W-70's and W-85's bottom feed spray guns so I'm satisfied I like Iwata gear. A lot of it was camo but almost all the components were gloss. Not a lot of room for expression but you certianly get good at gun slining doign it 40 hours a week. I think I've settled on the Iwata Eclipse and will have a look at a locally manufactured gun for my second once I've sorted out where I'm going to head.

Back