Iwata CM-CP2 or Iwata CM-SB2

P

pajonate

Hi, all.
Don't hate me for posting a similar thread to some already posted here on this forum.

I looked a lot of threads, videos, reviews and I am asking for your opinion.

I am considering a purchase of one of the following:
Iwata CM-CP2 .23 nozzle
Iwata CM-SB2 .18 nozzle

I have no rules for the answers, just share your expertise about the ones you have experience with.

As a sub question is, what is your opinion on buying it from Ebay, from Japan, for $370 shipped (CM-CP2), or $345 (CM-SB2). The seller I am considering is this one:
zipangu999 (2347 ) 99.7 positive feedback
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA...515588?hash=item2a45133ec4:g:WfAAAOSwcBhWUDrO

This seller I have found through this theairbrushreview.com page:
http://theairbrushreview.com/airbrush-articles/how-to-save-up-to-40-on-iwata-airbrushes/

I know coastairbrush and chicago airbrush supply, TCP and merriartist all carry these with a price tags of $540 and up. I think the price difference is in the customs fees, and different profit margin, but of course I may be wrong.

Go crazy and tell me what you think.

@musicmacd, that is also one of my concerns. I am wondering how much of obstruction is the 7 ml cup on the CM-CP2?

I have seen a lot of users, including Mitch, using it with ease, but that cup looks huge. My Sotar 20/20 and my HP-B have small cups and I am used to look directly behind the brush for the most of the time. That will not be possible with CM-CP2, but then, maybe it is a matter of adjusting and learning how to paint by looking from the side of the AB.

the SB for me you never have to think about the angle you hold the SB it will spray in any angle and I never liked the gravity feeds as the cup always seems to block my view

I have both. ....I don't really find the cup on the cmc to much trouble. ....realistically there is little difference in spray pattern or detail you can achieve. ....I find the cmc easy to clean but the sb has the advantage of a additional cups

SB for me too. Not because the view issue but because I don't think the mac valve is worth the extra money.
The price from where I want to purchase them is not that different ($370 CP2 vs $345 SB2).

I've found even this website, but I am not sure if I will go with them.
https://japanese-airbrush.myshopify.com/

They have CM-CP2 for $295 and CM-SB2 for $319. A bit weird since all stores have CM-CP2 pricier than CM-SB2.

Also, I talked with smiler65, since he got hp-cs from Ebay, and I am trying to narrow down to the seller he got it from. His experience with that purchase was very positive.

SB for me too. Not because the view issue but because I don't think the mac valve is worth the extra money.

Me also about the MAC valve, I have two brushes with it, and don't use them. I always just use an external one.
That line of sight thing I never really understood. I don't hold my airbrush like looking down the barrel of a gun. Even if I did, the trigger would be in the way. I've tried every way possible to hold the brush looking from straight behind, and every one was uncomfortable for me.

the SB for me you never have to think about the angle you hold the SB it will spray in any angle and I never liked the gravity feeds as the cup always seems to block my view
Surprising coming from "Mac valve maestro", :), or you have your MAC valve on
Me also about the MAC valve, I have two brushes with it, and don't use them. I always just use an external one.
That line of sight thing I never really understood. I don't hold my airbrush like looking down the barrel of a gun. Even if I did, the trigger would be in the way. I've tried every way possible to hold the brush looking from straight behind, and every one was uncomfortable for me.

I think I get what you are saying. I am not completely positioned behind the airbrush, too. And a lot of time I have the brush tilted to avoid over spray in all directions, so I am seeing the tip clearly from an angle.

Unfortunately, even that I live close to NYC, I have not found a local place that carries these ABs, to get my hands on feeling.

It would be nice, if someone who has a CM-CP2 to snap a phone camera photo, line of site towards behind of the airbrush.

If I need external MAC it is available for close to $20, so the MAC valve is not the deciding factor for me, either.

If I need external MAC it is available for close to $20, so the MAC valve is not the deciding factor for me, either.

You'll get an external mac for well under $20, you'll probably be closer to $10, another bonus with external mac is if anything ever went wrong with it, chances of which are minimal, you won't be left without your brush.

I have the HP-BH with built in Mac and never use it, its too easy to accidentally nudge it open causing unwanted blasts.

Surprising coming from "Mac valve maestro", :), or you have your MAC valve on

I think I get what you are saying. I am not completely positioned behind the airbrush, too. And a lot of time I have the brush tilted to avoid over spray in all directions, so I am seeing the tip clearly from an angle.

Unfortunately, even that I live close to NYC, I have not found a local place that carries these ABs, to get my hands on feeling.

It would be nice, if someone who has a CM-CP2 to snap a phone camera photo, line of site towards behind of the airbrush.
3024ebc27d97a97d5e31403aa5f2bd1e.jpg
669fd05f26f0f4004a698914b9f0dc80.jpg

Thanks for the pics, @jagardn. They look great.

I am just pissed off with couple of things.
I went on Iwata's website, looked at local distributors in NYC. I have found one, A. I. Friedman, close to my work (5 streets down), and I went there.
The sales person told me: "Oh, we don't carry airbrushes anymore. No one is using them anymore. They were huge some years ago, not anymore. blah, blah, blah"
Damn it, am I cursed that whatever I show interest is slowly dying as hobby?

First, I am flying remote control airplanes and multirotors. Now, FAA jumped in with some regulations for registrations, that can bring the hobby down to it's knees. BTW, nowadays kids are not into modeling, just phones, tablets, computers.

Second, I am into riding motorcycles, Harley Davidson fan here, owner of 2015 Road Glide Special. Again, nowadays kids are not into riding, just phones, tablets, computers.

Third, I got interested in airbrushing, and what do you know, no one is doing anymore, :evil::evil::evil:. Again, nowadays kids are not into airbrushing, just phones, tablets, computers.

Lastly, I don't even want to start about the 2nd amendment. Here, again, nowadays kids are not into practicing it, just phones, tablets, computers.

Damn you, FACEBOOK and whoever found you. I am proud to say that I am 2 1/2 weeks Facebook free, :D:D:D.

@pajonate I do use a mac valve but it is the quick connect type on my hose so I only need 1 for all my airbrushes :)
I thought of that, too, Ronald, and I am not sure how that comment that I started and never finished got included in my post. I figured out that iwata has it's own external MAC valve. I wanted to edit my post, but the 25 minute limit had passed.

Sincere apologies, man. :)

get a Quick Disconnect mac valve, stick it on the end of your airhose, then you never have to pay extra $$ for an airbrush with one.
I bought a couple of iwata ones with the aim of one on each brush.... as a mac valve they were hopeless, not enough variation in the airflow, and they weren't a quick disconnect type either.
I've since bought a Grex quick disconnect Mac Valve, attached it to the water filter which is attached to the air hose and all brushes now just have the male quick connect on them. It makes packing the airbrushes away a lot tidier than having the filter/mac valve attached to each brush.

the Grex was probably the best <$20 airbrush related purchase I've made.

as for dying hobbies, I don't believe that for a minute, theyre not dead, they've just gone underground for awhile. As long as people like us keep doing what we are doing it will never die.

as for dying hobbies, I don't believe that for a minute, theyre not dead, they've just gone underground for awhile. As long as people like us keep doing what we are doing it will never die.

I only mentioned this based on the comment from that seller, which may be somewhat true, since rarely any art store in NYC carries airbrushes, especially not the higher end ones. They all offer to order for you, like I cannot do that, right?
Also, it was based on my observation. My HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter counts ~450 members, and I, as 49 years young guy, am among the youngest there. Fun fact, last month we had celebrated one of our member's birthday. He turned 90. :eek: He rides his Harley with support wheels, that go up and down, depends on the movement of the bike.:)
Same goes with my remote control airplane flying hobby.

I am trying to be active in all my hobbies, just to keep them floating and alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Badger PAC valves and I am happy with them. I use it with my Iwata HP-B and my Sotar 20/20, and I am very happy with them.

Back