Iwata Hammerhead Shark Compressor - Oil change

M

Milo

Hi,

I picked up replacement oil for the compressor. It has sat inactive for years, and didn't have a lot of use on it before. I discovered I don't know how to change the oil. Nor can I find the little green single page manual.

I am not sure I need to change it, The color looks very similar through the glass level indicator as whats in the new bottle, but I was told it breaks down even though I didn't use it a lot, since there has been so much time. (think around 2002ish I got it).

From what I understand, I can tilt it on end (or not fully as I would image that would be bad, just enough tilt say 20-30 degrees, and unscrew the bolt with the fluid level indicator, and then turn it upside down the otherway 20-45 degrees or is it safe to turn it farther? and let it drain out. Then wiping and drying the thread area, I rescrew in the fluid indicator. Q: Do I use teflon/plumbers tape on it? It may have a rubber seal on it, I am not sure without taking it apart and I can't find any parts diagram.

Then to refill, it should be about 1/2 to 3/4 in the little dome of the fluid window. I can either pour into that when the dome is still off or fill using the place at the top that has a red screw on cap.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, if I read another thread correctly, that you remove the level indicator to remove the oil. That is why it is shaped like a nut.

Hi Milo,
I'm no expert on this but one thing I do know is that tilting an oil-filled compressor can get oil going into places you don't want it to go. I haven't done an oil change on my compressor yet but you could try one of those pumps you get from liquid soap bottles. Once a bottle of liquid soap is empty (or just take it out) clean the pump and tube by pumping through with clean water until it stops foaming up and then let it dry completely. You can put the tube of the pump through the Oil Indicator hole when you take it off and then safely pump the oil out into a container. You could wedge the compressor up, very slightly, in the direction of the hole (5mm or so should be enough) after you have got most of the oil out and that should help get the last of it.

This is what I plan to do when I do my first oil change and I've saved a few of those soap bottle pumps for the job. :D If you try it, will you let us know how it worked, thanks :thumbsup:

Hi Milo,
I'm no expert on this but one thing I do know is that tilting an oil-filled compressor can get oil going into places you don't want it to go. I haven't done an oil change on my compressor yet but you could try one of those pumps you get from liquid soap bottles. Once a bottle of liquid soap is empty (or just take it out) clean the pump and tube by pumping through with clean water until it stops foaming up and then let it dry completely. You can put the tube of the pump through the Oil Indicator hole when you take it off and then safely pump the oil out into a container. You could wedge the compressor up, very slightly, in the direction of the hole (5mm or so should be enough) after you have got most of the oil out and that should help get the last of it.

This is what I plan to do when I do my first oil change and I've saved a few of those soap bottle pumps for the job. :D If you try it, will you let us know how it worked, thanks :thumbsup:

Excellent observation there Me:thumbsup:l, I have advised before that comps with refrigerator/silent motors should be kept level and still as much as possible to avoid the oil going anywhere other than where it should be, it's the same reason fridges shouldn't be switched on for 24 hours after rehousing or violent movement.

great ideas and information. I was worried about tilting it. I think another way would be to get a large syringe and a tube and just pull it out, there is about 700 cc's in a 24 bottle of oil, so about 11 draws and I will get most of the oil out, no tilting and hopefully no mess. I don't even have to go through the glass level if I get a soft tube I think! Off to the pharmacy or autoparts store to see if they have what I need :)

I will post how it goes

I went to the feed store and they had a nice large syringe and tube! Going to do it tomorrow. Thanks again

My only other thought would be to search for an on line link to a manual. The manual should tell you the oil change procedure.

With motors the rule are to do it when the engine are warm, more of the old oil will be drained. But my experience are from the old silent dentist compressor I bought that you see in one of my albums. I got it in germany so to make sure the oil was not spill from the dentists Mercedes 180, I bought a liter compressor oil but was surprised how little was needed. I expect there will be enough for the next 100 years that compressor seem build to last in that liter of compressor oil ;)) Anyway If there are a gasked it proberly will not be a rubber one as lubrication oil disolve rubber. My advise if you use teflon tape are not to overdo it, --- from what I remember 3½ turn is plenty enough and what you must use, not more.

Back