Iwata HP-C Plus - Amazon UK has a good price

C

Cheesegeezer

Was looking at a few reviews on airbrushes and this airbrush seems to have pretty good reviews for novices and is deemed the workhorse for the more proficient users.

However, I found this on amazon uk and it seems too good to be true, at about 1/2 price to most shops/stores.

Linky Here

Could someone see if it's legit and if so, any novice like myself might be interested in picking up a bargain.

That is comming direct from japan, possibly get hit with import duty on top.

That is comming direct from japan, possibly get hit with import duty on top.

It seems funny in the UK, that I have never been hit with import duty from japan or HK or anywhere like that, when purchasing items that come from overseas. It's only the US that seem to incur sur-charges when I buy from there. I bought a bath faucet from the US for about £170, which saved me approx £300 to buy in the UK and Fedex charged me £10.25 import duty. so quite a saving still :D

It seems funny in the UK, that I have never been hit with import duty from japan or HK or anywhere like that, when purchasing items that come from overseas. It's only the US that seem to incur sur-charges when I buy from there. I bought a bath faucet from the US for about £170, which saved me approx £300 to buy in the UK and Fedex charged me £10.25 import duty. so quite a saving still :D

Everyone gets hit with it, you've just been lucky, Japan and Hong Kong don't apply any taxes so if the customs decide to take a peek they will keep your stuff for weeks and weeks and then hit you with the tax as well as administration fees bumping up your total to sometimes four times what you thought you would have to pay, I'm the unluckiest bastard in the world I get hit every time, in fact if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all:cry:

Generally customs will only inspect packages over around 500 grams, heavy stuff gets their juices going and they assume lighter things are just worthless toys and the like with little or no tax value.

In the U.S., I got an Eclipse CS for around $80. It was not from that same vendor. Mine took 2-3 weeks to arrive, but it didn't bother me.
I took the gamble and it worked out, that may not be true for every other vendor out there.

Just got my HP-C+ this last week. Took about three weeks to get. No taxes or duties were added.
Question on Iwata. I can adjust the spring tension for pulling the trigger back. Is there an up/down adjustment on the valve? I find mine to be very stiff compared to my Badger Sotar, the action is like silk on glass. I do like the performance and weight of the brush though. It is a first-rate piece of equipment.

Just got my HP-C+ this last week. Took about three weeks to get. No taxes or duties were added.
Question on Iwata. I can adjust the spring tension for pulling the trigger back. Is there an up/down adjustment on the valve? I find mine to be very stiff compared to my Badger Sotar, the action is like silk on glass. I do like the performance and weight of the brush though. It is a first-rate piece of equipment.

Have you prepared it as Mitch suggests

The HP range does have a much tougher down push than the other ranges. The only way to adjust this is with a spring. Dru Blair and Marissa Oosterlee both sells softer replacement springs.

hi all, guys i just had a look and this HP-C + is still up for £76 on Amazon.uk, so lets say i will get charged with customs, does any1 have an idea how much extra would that be on top of that £76? if its like £20 charge then its still worth but if more? this AB is £160 in uk

hi all, guys i just had a look and this HP-C + is still up for £76 on Amazon.uk, so lets say i will get charged with customs, does any1 have an idea how much extra would that be on top of that £76? if its like £20 charge then its still worth but if more? this AB is £160 in uk

Mine is on its way so if you want to wait I can tell you if I get stung wit any duty. But going by a tap I bought from the US for like $170, i was only charged £11 duty on it.

ok mate, sound, let us know as soon as u get it :)

I had to rotate my phone to see where your location was. Just from the expression...... sound. I instantly thought North west as I lived up in Lytham St.Anne's for a while and went to senior school there.

I had to rotate my phone to see where your location was. Just from the expression...... sound. I instantly thought North west as I lived up in Lytham St.Anne's for a while and went to senior school there.

Small world, I lived just up the road in Blackpool for twenty odd years, and there is a very good chance I painted the school you went to, I worked as painter and decorator for a contractor who did all the schools in Lytham St, Annes:thumbsup:

Small world, I lived just up the road in Blackpool for twenty odd years, and there is a very good chance I painted the school you went to, I worked as painter and decorator for a contractor who did all the schools in Lytham St, Annes:thumbsup:

wow!! yeah small world isn't it. I went to Arnold School in South Shore, it closed down 3 yrs ago due to lease holdings and politics, such a shame!

wow!! yeah small world isn't it. I went to Arnold School in South Shore, it closed down 3 yrs ago due to lease holdings and politics, such a shame!

I definitely painted that one, if my memory serves me correctly Arnold school was a boy's school and just up the road a bit they also had a girls school which we also did, I remember being amazed at how much more disgusting the graffiti was in the toilets compared to the boys school, it was so bad all the doors had to be taken off and sent away to be solvent dipped.:confused:

I lived on Lytham road in Blackpool at the time just over from the Grand Hotel which is also shut down and demolished now, I was doing my HNC in building studies at Blackpool and Fylde college also at the time and discovered that there is an underground (40 - 60 metres down) belt of peat that stretches all the way from Lytham St. Annes to just past Thornton in blackpool, and this is how Blackpool got it's name:) after finishing my HNC I went straight to the university of central Lancashire in Preston and studied law, when I first moved to Blackpool from Scotland I was employed as a sign-writer at the pleasure beach but quickly gave that up because most of my time was spent fixing other people's work and cleaning ice cream and other stuff thrown by punters:eek: you'de be amazed how many punters on the big dipper vomit all over the other attractions form the very top, from that height it goes everywhere:confused::confused::confused:

I definitely painted that one, if my memory serves me correctly Arnold school was a boy's school and just up the road a bit they also had a girls school which we also did, I remember being amazed at how much more disgusting the graffiti was in the toilets compared to the boys school, it was so bad all the doors had to be taken off and sent away to be solvent dipped.:confused:

I lived on Lytham road in Blackpool at the time just over from the Grand Hotel which is also shut down and demolished now, I was doing my HNC in building studies at Blackpool and Fylde college also at the time and discovered that there is an underground (40 - 60 metres down) belt of peat that stretches all the way from Lytham St. Annes to just past Thornton in blackpool, and this is how Blackpool got it's name:) after finishing my HNC I went straight to the university of central Lancashire in Preston and studied law, when I first moved to Blackpool from Scotland I was employed as a sign-writer at the pleasure beach but quickly gave that up because most of my time was spent fixing other people's work and cleaning ice cream and other stuff thrown by punters:eek: you'de be amazed how many punters on the big dipper vomit all over the other attractions form the very top, from that height it goes everywhere:confused::confused::confused:

This is getting spookier... (queue sinister music), I went to Blackpool and Fylde college too and i now live in Scotland. Hahaha, you did it the other way round, Lived in Scotland and moved to Blackpool. I lived in Blackpool, then moved to Wokingham (near Reading) for quite some time and then moved up to Scotland.

I was in Blackpool a few weeks back for a School Reunion, we ( the missus came too) wanted to go the Pleasure beach, but the prices are ridiculous, gone are the days where you pay £4.50 to go on the Big One. it's £10 for one go on it..... we passed on the pleasure beach and went into town and supped cocktails for the rest of the afternoon :D LOL

This is getting spookier... (queue sinister music), I went to Blackpool and Fylde college too and i now live in Scotland. Hahaha, you did it the other way round, Lived in Scotland and moved to Blackpool. I lived in Blackpool, then moved to Wokingham (near Reading) for quite some time and then moved up to Scotland.

I was in Blackpool a few weeks back for a School Reunion, we ( the missus came too) wanted to go the Pleasure beach, but the prices are ridiculous, gone are the days where you pay £4.50 to go on the Big One. it's £10 for one go on it..... we passed on the pleasure beach and went into town and supped cocktails for the rest of the afternoon :D LOL

LOL, yes the pleasure beach was always a rip off, I was lucky enough to have a friend who continued to work there and always got me voucher books for when my family came, I've never paid for anything there, but to be honest the only attraction I felt safe on was a little car that moved around like a vibrator when you inserted 50 pence, lol.

Here in Holland less than 35 minutes form my house there is a theme park called "De Efteling" you can book tickets for this park on-line which cost around €30 per person and you can use all the attractions all day long as many times as you like, I find that far more honest, I remember going on an attraction called "flight of the phoenix" which is basically a roller coaster but entirely in the dark, I had just had a hot dog before I got on it and by the time a got off the guy behind me was wearing it, lol, of course being the tight arsed Scottish git that I am, I demanded he pay for it, but needless to say no joy there, us Scots pride ourselves in having short arms and very long pockets, but unfortunately the Dutch have their arms amputated and their pockets sewn up making them worse than us if you believe that that is even possible.

Where are you in Scotland? if you have ever visited St. Andrews golf course, you may have noticed the sign that says "please do not lift lost golf balls until they have stopped rolling" and in the toilet at the 19th hole the sign that says "and now please wash your hands, but bring your own soap":)

The HP range does have a much tougher down push than the other ranges. The only way to adjust this is with a spring. Dru Blair and Marissa Oosterlee both sells softer replacement springs.

Well, after working with the HP-C+ and Sotar, I still prefer the spring tension for the valve on the Sotar. Debating on what to do, I looked up the price for the spring ($20.00 U.S.) and decided to go a different route. I pulled the spring out of the valve and measured extended vs. the space it occupies. There is a lot of spring for the space. With the nut in place its was about 8mm +/-. The spring extended is 14mm +/-. Maybe the Iwata engineers like a bit more resistance on the valve. I decided to cut the spring to 10mm +/-. After reinstalling the spring and nut on the valve, it took little pressure to depress the trigger and it would still have enough to spring back and close the valve, matching my release as it should. There is no "play" in the trigger.
I like it much better now. I hope I didn't hurt any Iwata fans feelings...again. I found what I like in an airbrush and will go with that. Like I said earlier; I really enjoy everything else about the brush. I hope to use it for years to come.

Back