Iwata HP-C plus

R

Raidok

I got a new airbrush, the Iwata HP-C plus and there was a paper with it from the factory but its all in Chinese.:glee: Now what i can make of it i think is that the needle is 0,3 mm can anyone confirm this? And if someone else uses this type of airbrush whats your experience with it ?

The HP-C is a great brush. It is the older version of the HP-C+( adjustable handle), and the HP-CH( adj. handle and Mac valve). I have an HP-CH and I love that brush , it sprays like a dream, and I get great control with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got a new airbrush, the Iwata HP-C plus and there was a paper with it from the factory but its all in Chinese.:glee: Now what i can make of it i think is that the needle is 0,3 mm can anyone confirm this? And if someone else uses this type of airbrush whats your experience with it ?
If your airbrush is an Iwata, that's Japanese, not Chinese (not that I could tell the difference anyway, but they tend to be a little more sensitive about that stuff). The HP-C+ does have a .3 nozzle. It can be converted to use a .2 nozzle as well. The HP-C is a very nice airbrush, IMO. Personally, I think that the Iwata HP's and Olympos HP100's (which the Iwata's are basically decendants of) set the benchmark for non-micron airbrushes. The HP-C isn't really meant as a dedicated "detail" airbrush, but it will get enough detail for the vast majority of jobs while maintaining a good amount of flexibility. Overall, the HP-C's are generally considered one of the "benchmark" airbrushes in the industry, so, definitely a very good airbrush and a good find.

unless it really is chinese. if so you need to return the brush especialy if you bought it on sleaze bay or the like

Last edited by a moderator:
Noob question

If I buy the .2mm needle, do I need to get the .2mm cap? After some more playing I realized I need to get a finer line out of this guy. Well, want, to be clear. ;)

The original "poor man's micron" mod is to replace the .3 nozzle with a .2 nozzle, and keep the .3 needle (preferably polished). An optional step is to add a taller trigger. In the old days, you had to order a trigger from a different Iwata model (I forget which one offhand). Now you can just order the trigger for a "Kustom" HP-C. Any Iwata dealer should have both in stock.

Or you could just extend the original trigger with a trigger pad. Ashley brayson makes awesome ones.

or add some height to the trigger with hot glue (Primate style)

I've done the 'Craig Fraser Conversion' to mine, and it's an outstanding brush.
I have all 3 brushes aforementioned, and my .5 cents worth is that if you need a Micron over a .2 converted HP-C+ then it's time to quit your day gig and turn pro.
You would have to be an outstanding fine detail artist to justify the price difference - I got my Micron before I did the conversion by the way.
I can get .25 mm line all day with good tip cleaning - with my hot-rodded .2 HP-C.
Did I mention that parts are 1/3 the cost?
I got the needle and fluid tip at Coast Airbrush, they cater to this one a lot.
I didn't worry about a .2 needle packing, just tightened up the .3 one, all good.
I got a tall trigger in my order but haven't used it cos gluing a thick piece of leather on the top has proven to be great (used 5 minute aereldite).
I also cut down the needle bushing spring to lighten the touch on the pull.

Attachments

• IMG_4228copy.jpg
    IMG_4228copy.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 80
Funny - I have wished for a taller trigger and this didn't occur to me. I've got enough foam and leather to make that work, I'll use hot glue or a thin layer of epoxy to the metal, and maybe white glue for the foam-to-leather. That's cool, I had no idea that was the solution; thank you.

So, and just so I have this clear - if I upgrade to a .2 needle, all I need is the needle itself?

The original "poor man's micron" mod is to replace the .3 nozzle with a .2 nozzle, and keep the .3 needle (preferably polished). An optional step is to add a taller trigger. In the old days, you had to order a trigger from a different Iwata model (I forget which one offhand). Now you can just order the trigger for a "Kustom" HP-C. Any Iwata dealer should have both in stock.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my ignorance, I read "nozzle," knew what it was, but since I asked about needles I just thought you made a typo, ko. :) My apologies.

Is a nozzle all that's needed? I'm not looking to do this on the cheap, just minimally.

Tip polishing looks... fun - and dangerous to the equipment. And beyond my needs right now since I'm still learning - I just want to paint tiny lines on tiny space ships without using sable hair. :)

In my ignorance, I read "nozzle," knew what it was, but since I asked about needles I just thought you made a typo, ko. :) My apologies.

Is a nozzle all that's needed? I'm not looking to do this on the cheap, just minimally.

Tip polishing looks... fun - and dangerous to the equipment. And beyond my needs right now since I'm still learning - I just want to paint tiny lines on tiny space ships without using sable hair. :)

Dont want to discourage you, but a .2 on the hpcp wont mak you do fine lines. It takes many hours of experience and practise on it.

I can do finer lines with my hpcp .3 than with my .15 hs evolution.

Id advice you to practise instead of fitting a smaller nozzle.
And you won't be able to paint metallics and stuff with a .2 properly.

Just performed this trick. .2 nozzle on my hp-ch. WOW!!! Tip dry gone! The .3 nozzle allows too much of the needle to stick-out. It provided great detail for a .3. But with so much surface area, the paint stuck to it like asphalt. Now I get finer lines and almost no tip dry.

heres the question for the day does the hpc come in a side feed not that its necessary i am thinking of getting one f these when tax time comes... of course i can always go to coasts page and look lol just figured i would pst the question here

So if you change the nozzle to .2, do you change the nozzlr cap as well?

And Ferret, it does come in side feed as the HP-SB+ but it is already 0.2. I see it is also not shorter then the rest of the guns in the group.

it looks just like the micrn i have to stop what i am doing for a moment and just say unles your talents are so that you are painting your name so tiny like andre has or you plan to work super fine hairs in your portrait or you plan t do mini paintings on 2 inch by 2 inch canvas i would say get the hpsb and save the 200 dollars for paint or rent lol at 250 i will be definitely looking into this gun before i get a second micronh3001lgw.png theres no need to invest 450 into a micron cmsb unless you just realy want on and can afford it unless your doing photo realism

Funny - I have wished for a taller trigger and this didn't occur to me. I've got enough foam and leather to make that work, I'll use hot glue or a thin layer of epoxy to the metal, and maybe white glue for the foam-to-leather. That's cool, I had no idea that was the solution; thank you.

So, and just so I have this clear - if I upgrade to a .2 needle, all I need is the needle itself?

In your post you say you have the HP-CPlus which I believe IS the HP-C+ and not the HP-C.

This is the HP-C http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSyryCEHPxi87N43Rze7wvesv8blQW9IaFTs9M-IHUoHlW9tSv It has a rounder cup and no cutaway or limiter on the back handle.

This is the HP-C+ (HP-CPlus) http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxrElhcxXhJQ8L1894Btx874cLajq-5fH9XrEFMHUxJfljo-a-4w It does have a cutaway and limiter on the back handle.

Which one do you have Ketjak?
Cheers Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you change the nozzle to .2, do you change the nozzlr cap as well?

I didn't. I just changed the nozzle. I have an hp-b+ so i just decided to experiment with he .2 nozzle swap like someone here (i forgot who, sorry) mentioned would work. It did. I'll probably head over to Coast to get another nozzle and who knows what else i'll find there.

Back