iwata micron choice

badgersb

Needle-chuck Ninja
hay guys i was thinking of buying a micron.. i currently have a eclipse which is gravity fed ......so my question is what is your opinion of the
MICRON cm-c plus
MICRON cm-sb
I have never used a side cup before and not sure if it is different from the gravity and also will it hold as much paint as the gravity, BUT..i do wonder if i would like to see past the cup.. lol...it is always difficult to decide on something like this and i guess it is because it is so expensive..lol.. and also i cannot test it before buying.. lol...
let me know your thoughts..

Personally I use the sb as you said it allows you a straight line of sight, holds less paint than a gravity but you can get different sized pots for it. I have a nice set of plastic pots that are a lot cheaper than the iwata cups but does mean I can have them loaded with different colours, not that I'm at that stage yet.

I switched from a cm-b to the sb purely for the sight, I haven't noticed any imbalance with the side cup as some others have and I also find the sb easier to clean.

I have a cm-c and cm-sb. I started out with the cm-c as I thought it would be easy if it could hold more paint, for me it defeats it's purpose though.

As you'll probably will get this gun for detail work you will never need the amount of pait the cm-c can hold and the large cup just gets in the way. Also why get a 0.23 when a 0.18 is avaliable when you get it to do detail.

I don't notice any difference between gravity feed and side cup when opperating them. I do like side feeds as you can easily switch paints (I keep one cup with water, quick flush and attach another cup with another paint, this does requier more than one cup ofcourse :p) without cleaning the whole brush or throwing away paint.

Knowing what I know now I'd never have gotten the CM-C

I have the CM-C+ and love it. But I did change the head unit and needle to the .18 that the SB comes with.
Side cup and bottom feeder and I do not play well together . But that is a personnel choice of what works for me after trying and working with the 3 different set up.

I have the CMC+ and would prefer the SB. Quick color cup changes would be the main reason. Also on the CMC+, I paid for a MAC valve that I don't use because I have an external one.
From what I recall, you were painting cars. I personally would get the SB and use your eclipse for the areas with large volumes of paint.

I am so used to a side feed airbrush my choice was easy : the CM SB 0.18 I use it for 95% of all my work

I don't look straight over the body so the obstruction by the cup is not a problem for me. I like it for quick colour changes and if something goes wrong, I don't have to drain the cup to attend to the problem.

wow.. you guys rock.. as expected ... great feedback and all different.. thanks again.. it gives me food for thought.. if and when i get one. i think i will definatly go for the sb.. might aswell try something different..

one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I can see is that a SB allows you to paint off horizontal.... if you had a need you could paint the ceiling, you just angle the cup accordingly.... OK, so not everyone wants to paint the ceiling, but if you are painting the bonnet /roof/boot of a car then being able to angle the cup so you don't spill paint would be an advantage.

one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I can see is that a SB allows you to paint off horizontal.... if you had a need you could paint the ceiling, you just angle the cup accordingly.... OK, so not everyone wants to paint the ceiling, but if you are painting the bonnet /roof/boot of a car then being able to angle the cup so you don't spill paint would be an advantage.

IF you need to paint a ceiling you will definitely not use a micron. The detail is too far from the viewer and will be lost. Headliner of a car maybe.

This is why I cant get used to a gravity feed airbrush anymore : I am so used to holding the sidefeed in any position I want or need I dont even think about it anymore , if I pick up a gravity feed airbrush I forget to hold it in the right angle :p

IF you need to paint a ceiling you will definitely not use a micron. The detail is too far from the viewer and will be lost. Headliner of a car maybe.
lol
Ok, you're right, you wouldn't use a micron to paint a ceiling, but if you really wanted to use the micron then it should be a side brush:D

Back