Iwata micron cm-sb vs cm-sb v2

Freakaziot

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Heya guys,

Since iam growing in my skills, iam struggling with the capacity of my H&S silverline.
So I want to start a piggybank for my first micron, i tried the cm-sb from haasje and i really liked the sidebucket. After some searching i saw the "new" model, but is this v2 really that better then a v1?

Anyone got a good review experience with this micron?

Thnx

Last edited:
Airbrush step by step has a video of a review on their Facebook page which is pretty informative (in german though). From what I gathered there it has some nice new features but I haven't heard anyone saying there is a difference in how it paints so if the price is equal I'd go for the v2, if the difference goes above 50,- I'd stick with the old one if it's avaliable (but that ofc is personal).

Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QdyqbYfDlw4

Yes the v2 does have improved atomisation, I personally find this very noticeable; I have been using the v2 for a few months and I prefer the v2 to the v1. This is due to the atomisation more than any other 'improvement' IMO.
It has a 'crown cap dock' at the rear of the airbrush but I do not remove my crown-cap so I don't use this; when I did try it out, I found that the whole part of the 'pre-set handle' mechanism moves, so if you have it set at a particular distance, it will move when you put the crown-cap onto this 'dock'.
I prefer the square trigger to the round one but it is so insignificant to many airbrush users..I wouldn't buy the v2 just because it has a square trigger. The v2 trigger is taller than the v1 and personally, I prefer what I perceive to have more control over the airbrush with this taller trigger, there are numerous ways of increasing the trigger height of the v1 if you want to try this out…'hot-glue' is just one way and there are numerous posts on this forum that can advise about that.
The 'one-piece needle chucking guide' is an improvement when you need to take the airbrush apart. The needle is shorter in the v2, so you can not use a v1 needle in the v2 airbrush.
Hope this helps.

I too have read that its supposed to be slightly better BUT like Haasje said if its the same price go for it, if its way more expensive then stick with the old model, im not upgrading mine any time soon its still ace.
Thanks for the info Trem, you may ne the only person here with the v2. When i win the lotto i might treat myself..

Lee

Thank you all for the reply!
The v1 is in clearance ad this moment, but my piggybank doesn't allow it to buy the micron now.
So probably when I got the money it's out of stock :(
But iff I can find one for a special price I will really think about it (+\- 120€ difference)
I will keep you updated :)

@Freakaziot

To avoid confusion, The CM-SB has the side cup, the CM-B doesn't (and has no v2 as far as I'm aware)

You might want to check airbrush almere, they have a sale on the CM-B which now is priced at 240,- (95,- off). The same 0.18 needle/nozzle as the CM-SB only without a side cup. I've used this one a couple off times and the cup on it is pretty low and doesn't obscure ones vission when doing detail.

Depending on how much you think the side cup is worth to you this might be a (relative) cheap alternative

Last edited:
Little caution with the side feed micron. I had one and being right handed and habit of spraying at an angle, the cup would always graze the surface and scratch the paint. Maybe it's just because I paint hard surface and a lot of rounded shapes. I found myself spending more time paying attention to where the cup is instead of on the painting itself. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

not an sb fan either doesn't fit my hand and harder to clean IMO If you do get one make sure to get some Aztec cups they are cheap and have a lid.. that was the other thing I did not like I spill even more paint with an sb than I do with my gravity feeds LOL

If the v2 sprays better then the v1 it will be an awesome gun because the v1 sprays amazing. The only part I want and will probably get for my v1 is the one piece needle shaft and rocker. The shorter needle has no affect on performance. In theory it only needs to pass the needle chuck so that you can lock it down and grab it when you remove it.

Obviously, the needle length will have no effect on the performance of the airbrush. I mentioned the needle length with reference to 'rdawk's thread dated June 15th 2014; he mentions that he had put a cm-sb v1 needle into the cm-sb v2 and screwed the 'pre-set handle' onto the airbrush. This pushed the needle against the head nozzle and damaged the nozzle which then had to be replaced. The head nozzle is an expensive item to replace.

Heya all,
A small update, i went to the local airbrush shop and they wil order the complete micron series inclusing the v2.
They hope to have them in 2-3 weeks, so when they arive i van try them all and chose from that point.
I wil keep you updated

Grz

I just ordered me the v2's one piece needle shaft and what is interesting is that the part number is exactly the same as the same part for the HP and Hi-line.

Obviously, the needle length will have no effect on the performance of the airbrush. I mentioned the needle length with reference to 'rdawk's thread dated June 15th 2014; he mentions that he had put a cm-sb v1 needle into the cm-sb v2 and screwed the 'pre-set handle' onto the airbrush. This pushed the needle against the head nozzle and damaged the nozzle which then had to be replaced. The head nozzle is an expensive item to replace.

How could the needle lenght affect the pre set handle? It doesn't push on the needle, but the needle chuch nut.

How could the needle lenght affect the pre set handle? It doesn't push on the needle, but the needle chuch nut.

I would gather the back of the needle is different in thickness and as such won't pass through the handle?

@denstore Good point..maybe a question for @rdawk to answer…. I presume that if you used enough force to screw the pre-set handle onto its thread the needle could slide within the needle-chucking guide, even if the needle chucking nut was screwed on tight; but as I said, it was an issue that rdawk had….

….so I had to try it myself… I put a v1 needle into the v2 airbrush, I started to screw on the pre-set handle and it stopped 1mm before it came to the end of the thread, so I suppose he (rdawk) then used too much force to screw on the pre-set handle until it stopped against the airbrush body…which made the needle slide within the needle chucking nut. I don't suppose it takes too much to splay the head nozzle. He certainly would have had more leverage screwing on the pre-set handle than the chucking nut…

@Madbrush I have just checked both needles, the v1 and the v2, they are both the same diameter 1.9mm, it is just the length that is different mate.

All I can think is the new handle with the needle cap storage is not hollow. Easy to check.

Sorry forgot to mention that earlier, the new pre-set handle is no longer hollow, due to the new cap-dock.

Back