Iwata neo

S

swampig

today both of my Iwata neos' have broken down! the air is bubbling up in the cup (like when you clear the nozzle) and no paint is coming from the tip. I have cleaned them out and they are spotless. needles dont look bent,and air comes from the needle jet but when I want to apply paint ....bubbles!!! any Ideas? :confusion:

more than likely where the nozzle cap scews into the body of the airbrush is not sealing properly and sucking air.....that is a common cause with a lot of airbrushes....check to see if there are any seals that may have fallen out, but an easy fix is to apply a little thread tape to seal it.....hope this helps you out....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers slipery I had noticed some bubbles coming from round the nozzle cap Ill try that tomorrow ...had enough for today!!!

Im with slipery with that. I also have a Neo and i also had a air leak at the nozzle cap since the Neo has no seal there. I used some teflon tape around the threading and it was gone.
Hope this will be an easy fix for your problem.

more than likely where the nozzle cap scews into the body of the airbrush is not sealing properly and sucking air.....that is a common cause with a lot of airbrushes....check to see if there are any seals that may have fallen out, but an easy fix is to apply a little thread tape to seal it.....hope this helps you out....:)

I can say with 99.9% surety that this is indeed the problem, I also have a Neo, which I totally would never be without, it even our performs my Evolution 2 in 1 silverline ornamental airbrush, however when I first bought I had 2 problems which I managed to fix in 10 minutes, the first being this very same problem, easily rectified by applying a little ptfe tape around the nozzle cap thread and voilà job jobbed.

The second problem was the air stayed on constantly (there are benefits to this sometimes) this was result of the air valve spring coming in contact with the inner wall of the valve, again rectified by simply winding up the spring so that it was closer the air pin than the wall, again job jobbed, after these little tweaks the Neo has never ever let me down.

It's always a good idea to give every new airbrush a good look see before using it for the first time, something I always like to the hard way, living life on the edge, that's me lol

When you say nozzle cap, you're referring to the part the crown screws on to correct?

It hasn't been a problem for me but I get bubbles there occasionally and a few days ago some black paint bubbled out of there onto a white tee I was doin and of course it landed on the white of the eye lol. I'll be putting some tape there on both my Neos and any more I get from this point on. Great brushes though for only 40-50$.

When you say nozzle cap, you're referring to the part the crown screws on to correct?

It hasn't been a problem for me but I get bubbles there occasionally and a few days ago some black paint bubbled out of there onto a white tee I was doin and of course it landed on the white of the eye lol. I'll be putting some tape there on both my Neos and any more I get from this point on. Great brushes though for only 40-50$.

Yes the nozzle cap is the bigger one that you fit right on front of the body to protect the nozzle, then the needle cap or crown fits on that one then.

Thanks for the help guys the problem is now fixed!!!:excitement:

Glad to hear you all located the problem and got it fixed. That being said, I just wanted to point out a danger in using teflon tape around the threads on an airbrush. The metal used to manufacture our brushes is soft and the threads are very small. Teflon tape is relatively thick and can create the perfect storm for stripping the threads if one is not careful! An alternative I have used for years with great results is chapstick or beezwax. A small dab around the threads normally seals the leak. It's also much easier to clean off the next time the brush is stripped down.

Trevor

Glad to hear you all located the problem and got it fixed. That being said, I just wanted to point out a danger in using teflon tape around the threads on an airbrush. The metal used to manufacture our brushes is soft and the threads are very small. Teflon tape is relatively thick and can create the perfect storm for stripping the threads if one is not careful! An alternative I have used for years with great results is chapstick or beezwax. A small dab around the threads normally seals the leak. It's also much easier to clean off the next time the brush is stripped down.

Trevor

A very handy tip, and one I shall not ignore, I'll put this into practice during the very next strip down, Thanks for that.

I personally used a very thin slither and one time around the thread, which seems to be enough, but as much as I like living dangerously, no point in wasting a good brush, lol

I can say with 99.9% surety that this is indeed the problem, I also have a Neo, which I totally would never be without, it even our performs my Evolution 2 in 1 silverline ornamental airbrush, however when I first bought I had 2 problems which I managed to fix in 10 minutes, the first being this very same problem, easily rectified by applying a little ptfe tape around the nozzle cap thread and voilà job jobbed.

The second problem was the air stayed on constantly (there are benefits to this sometimes) this was result of the air valve spring coming in contact with the inner wall of the valve, again rectified by simply winding up the spring so that it was closer the air pin than the wall, again job jobbed, after these little tweaks the Neo has never ever let me down.

It's always a good idea to give every new airbrush a good look see before using it for the first time, something I always like to the hard way, living life on the edge, that's me lol

Hello there, first time on the forum and first times using a Neo Iwata Airbrush.
I am experiencing air running constantly, sounds like the same issue you had and managed so easily to solve; in my case the constant flow of air is triggering the compressor constantly and almost over heating it. I was wondering how do you open the air valve in order to gain access to the spring inside... I tried forcing it with my hands but couldn't open it, I guess I am just afraid of breaking some parts...
Thanks for your help!
MM

Hello there, first time on the forum and first times using a Neo Iwata Airbrush.
I am experiencing air running constantly, sounds like the same issue you had and managed so easily to solve; in my case the constant flow of air is triggering the compressor constantly and almost over heating it. I was wondering how do you open the air valve in order to gain access to the spring inside... I tried forcing it with my hands but couldn't open it, I guess I am just afraid of breaking some parts...
Thanks for your help!
MM

I have a Neo aswel great wee brush, to access the airvale u need a small allen key, that unscrews it then your spring will come out, take it apart over a cloth on a table so you if you drop anything itll not got to far [emoji4]

I have a Neo aswel great wee brush, to access the airvale u need a small allen key, that unscrews it then your spring will come out, take it apart over a cloth on a table so you if you drop anything itll not got to far [emoji4]
Thank you matty171! I just managed to unscrew it, now proceeding with the allen key, I noticed that the tiny o-ring there moves with the piston, wondering if that is correct, anyway, proceeding to windup the spring and hoping for good :)

Thank you matty171! I just managed to unscrew it, now proceeding with the allen key, I noticed that the tiny o-ring there moves with the piston, wondering if that is correct, anyway, proceeding to windup the spring and hoping for good :)

I just saw your question above here Marcus, but it seems my very good friend has got you covered, thanks @matty171

And welcome to the forum Marcus, why not pop along to the introductions section and tell a little bit about yourself, tell us what you like to paint and such, and if we have an idea of your location we can guide to the best place to get any new stuff you might need.

Yea the wee o ring moves so sounds like your all good so far, as MB has said introduce yourself in the intros section so everyone can say hi [emoji4]

I just saw your question above here Marcus, but it seems my very good friend has got you covered, thanks @matty171

And welcome to the forum Marcus, why not pop along to the introductions section and tell a little bit about yourself, tell us what you like to paint and such, and if we have an idea of your location we can guide to the best place to get any new stuff you might need.

You know i got your back lol

Thank you both! I will introduce myself in a few minutes :) just realised I need a tiny allen key to access the spring in the air valve :D

Just wanted to send an update; I managed to open the air valve and wind up the small spring, will test in five minutes, fingers crossed.....
:)

And it works!!!! I am also using 60psi for an acrylic thick paint of mine, but it works, every once in a while it gets stuck but nothing compared with what it used to do.
Thanks guys for the help!

Back