iwata quick connect leaking problem

Z

zimmer

My last quick connect lasted about 2 years until it started leaking air where the male and female ends mate. The most recent one has started leaking BAD after 2 months. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Dirt can make any quick connect leak . Makes no difference if it is for a airbrush or an mechanics tool .
Mine is 7 years old and has never leaked But I keep it cleaned and lubed

I've attempted cleaning it with alcohol and with an ultrasonic cleaner. Blowing air like crazy where the male and female mate. Pushing up beside the male insert it feels like. No leaks when disconnected. Lubed after cleaning, no help either.

Take a picture of both the male and female connection and post them up. The lock ring could be jacked on it or the rubber seal has gave way

I have 5 males and they all leak so it has to be on the female side

might try popping it apart and look at the seal/o-ring,and replace it then put it back together

View attachment 37697 View attachment 37698

1 with the slider down and the other with it up

I had a problem with my hose flying off while I was working, so I had to take my connector apart both to clean it and to strengthen the spring inside, it often leaked too so I would assume you are having the very same problem, it's simple enough to to fix, on the right side of the connector in your first photo you can see the little circlip/ring, this is all that holds it together, you need to carefully remove that, in order to take it all apart you need to insert the male part, once apart you remove the male part and simply clean all the parts you have, do this on a tray with raised sides because when you open it up there three tiny ball bearings which are the main part of the connect mechanism and these are very easy to lose, once you've cleaned all your parts apply a little machine oil to the ball bearings by wiping it on and then off, since you already have it apart you can also do what I did and slightly stretch the spring to make it stronger, putting it together is obviously a reverse of what you did above.

As herb said you almost certainly have a little piece grime interfering with the internal workings, but once you've done as mentioned here above it will be as good as new:)

I did post pictures here on the forum when I did mine but I can't seem to find them at the moment, I'll have a look around though and put them up if I can find them, but I think you get the idea anyway.

P.S. EDIT: I forgot to mention that if the circlip holding it all together isn't snug in it's groove it can stop the pull tube from returning far enough forward which can also facilitate your leak.

@zimmer found it, just clean everything you see here:)

quick-coupler-jpg.35415

I also stripped down a my external mac to fine tune it a little in the same thread here

Back