Jumping right in

PhilberJ

Young Tutorling
Hi everyone, I've been looking through the boards and getting all kinds of great information, but I figured it'd probably be best for me to just ask the couple questions I have.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I'm completely new to airbrushing. I've always enjoyed drawing and painting, mostly watercolor and acrylic, but have only just admired airbrush art from a distance. So the other day my brother tells me he'd like his computer room turned into an "immersive space experience". Basically he wants his older brother to paint a space themed mural all over the walls, mainly focusing on the ceiling which slopes at about 35 degrees. Also he wants it black light reactive haha. I love the challenge and he says he will fund the whole project. And so here are my questions.... keeping in mind almost everything has to be bought online, probably through Amazon.
Looking at airbrushes, I've narrowed it down to a Badger Anthem or the Universal 360. It's in my limited price range as far as supplies go and I believe one of those would work well for this project and my beginner skill level. Any thoughts on either?
For a compressor, I've been looking at these two...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=California+Air+Tools

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T...+Air+Tools&dpPl=1&dpID=51-CRVFw7VL&ref=plSrch

I like the smaller one because of its size and weight, but not sure if it would be right for this project if I'm going to be painting for a couple hours each session.
If you can hit me with any feedback and/or suggestions, it is all very much appreciated!! I'm hoping to pull the trigger on ordering the supplies this week.
Thanks guys, Cheers!!

California air tool compressors are great. Very quiet. That's what I use. The two you have linked have the same motor. The bigger one is a better deal & will have less condensation issues. But the small one is convenient and would work fine. You would still want to put a moisture trap on any compresser with a tank.

Nice intro, just in the wrong spot LOL, never mind, i'll forgive you but @markjthomson will likely point you to the into section.

as for your question, for something that size you wont need a 'detail brush' so either will likely do the job for you. Given the theme just keep in mind that you would have a black / dark blue background. When you go to spray your stars, they'd normally be white, spraying white on the black will make the white look blueish ("blue shift")

Createx do a UV reactive paint that you can use to highlight certain areas of your mural.

Thanks J000seph, I appreciate the reassurance! I know the larger tank size would be helpful in that potentially the motor would run less often with a larger supply of air of standby. Even for that price, the only thing holding me back is the weight and size of it getting in my way. If the small one would work for a mural, then I'll lean towards that one. And add the moisture trap. Thanks again!!

Thanks Jack! And sorry Mark, pretty new to the whole forum network... amazed I'm getting such awesome feedback already!
Do I need to move this thread to the other location?

Its all good, it can stay here unless one of the mods decides to move it.
that's the great thing about this place, we are truly global and it doesn't take long for someone to chime in with info, and if their not 100% sure they'll 'tag' someone they think can help more.

I assume you'd be rolling the walls to base them? If so a small compressor just for doing planets moons asteroids or any other feature aspect will be fine, but really just depends on the size of the area you'll be airbrushing. Silent compressors get extremely hot fast, if in a humid room you will have water issues no matter how many traps you use (use one on the gun too to if you do go down the silent compressor road.) On the brush, the anthem is ideal for this kind of work but is a beast, takes some getting used to and trigger control is imperitive but will cover your needs for both big basing and for detail. Muralling generally involves a lot more traditional painting than many realise, get yourself a good compliment of rollers/spray packs and such to make your life easier and to get bases in faster and with less pain, then just use your airbrush to add that oomph..Good luck, sounds like a fun project Also to add with black light paint, quite often its impossible to see it going on, especially on a black background, you may have to work under a black light to get things right and not sure how that will go on the eyes for an extended period on such a big space/substrate such as a wall or few..best of luck with it though :)

@RebelAir those California compressers aren't really silent like the refrigerator style. They are more quiet than most but wouldn't want to watch tv in the same room. They don't get hot.

I'm not overly concerned with the noise, just that it is going to be used in a bedroom so it has to be quieter than most of the ones at the hardware store, designed for garage usage. Alaska is also a crazy dry state, so humidity in the room won't be an issue at all.
As far as the UV paints go, since I've never used anything like them, I'm wondering... should I focus on painting a space mural that looks great in normal light, then go back over it and highlight parts with UV paint? Or I was looking at this...

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Light-Medium-250Ml-Matte/dp/B00LH047B0

And it looks like I could mix that with any colors I want, basically making everything reactive on top of the dark background. If I'm understanding that right, I might order some and test it out on a canvas.
On that note, how far does a bottle of airbrush paint go? I'm obviously going to need to get white and blue for example... does a single bottle go a long way, or should I get 6 bottles of each color right up front? I'm planning on doing planets, stars, nebulas... the works.
Thanks a lot everyone for all the info! Once I get started I'll create a new thread and show my progress with pics. That way all of you can make fun of me when I get in way over my head :)

But the add says "Ultra Quiet-only 60 db" LOL..

Didnt see it had some storage ability and not one I've used, the 5.5 gallon may reduce running time, the two gallon on a room size painting will still work hard pending whats its used for..They still kinda just look like a silent compressor attached to a tank, suppose it just depends how fast and how often the things charging and what kind of fans it has to help keep it cool..but both look like nice little compressors.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Eclipse_G6

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Eclipse_HP-SBS_Autographics

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Eclipse_HP-CS

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Eclipse_HP-SBS

These are what I would choose for doing wall and ceiling murals. As for the compressor I would go for the larger because you would be able to to clear coating with a spray gun some day with any HVLP gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not overly concerned with the noise, just that it is going to be used in a bedroom so it has to be quieter than most of the ones at the hardware store, designed for garage usage. Alaska is also a crazy dry state, so humidity in the room won't be an issue at all.
As far as the UV paints go, since I've never used anything like them, I'm wondering... should I focus on painting a space mural that looks great in normal light, then go back over it and highlight parts with UV paint? Or I was looking at this...

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Light-Medium-250Ml-Matte/dp/B00LH047B0

And it looks like I could mix that with any colors I want, basically making everything reactive on top of the dark background. If I'm understanding that right, I might order some and test it out on a canvas.
On that note, how far does a bottle of airbrush paint go? I'm obviously going to need to get white and blue for example... does a single bottle go a long way, or should I get 6 bottles of each color right up front? I'm planning on doing planets, stars, nebulas... the works.
Thanks a lot everyone for all the info! Once I get started I'll create a new thread and show my progress with pics. That way all of you can make fun of me when I get in way over my head :)

Personally would just use the UV paint to pop the stars m8, could look a bit full on if you do everything UV, but also may look super cool LOL so best to maybe experiment on some smaller canvas pieces to see what works best for you in that area. personally I'd use the UV to base a glow effect, then a pinpoint of pure white to represent say a distant star on top, this will give it a glow effect but make more sense than the other way around. A single bottle goes as far as it can go LOL, kinda why I suggested using just standard wall paint for most of the base work. Airbrush paint is pretty expensive and minimizing the amount you use in area's may reduce costs a lot..But a 500 ml bottle will go a long way, a 30 ml bottle wont..

I would experiment a little on some panels or something first. One to get to know the airbrush, and paints you will be using. There is quite a learning curve, getting your air/paint reduction ratios right (there's no recipe, too many variables, in equipment, paint, and conditions such as weather and humidity), trigger control, and technique for fades, blends and any other effects. Also you can then see what look you prefer, what looks good, both in normal light, and black light.

Just an FYI. The glow effects of UV paint, do wear off after a while, so will need to be redone from time to time, so may affect how you choose to do the paint.

But the add says "Ultra Quiet-only 60 db" LOL..

Didnt see it had some storage ability and not one I've used, the 5.5 gallon may reduce running time, the two gallon on a room size painting will still work hard pending whats its used for..They still kinda just look like a silent compressor attached to a tank, suppose it just depends how fast and how often the things charging and what kind of fans it has to help keep it cool..but both look like nice little compressors.

I have just bought the same compressor (21liter) but with a different name, when it's running which isn't too often you can actually have a conversation at normal level standing right next to it, I can even have a phone conversation without having to move away form it, it actually makes more noise when it stops running, but only for a split second, the literature states 60 Db which really isn't much but I believe it is probably a little less than that, but mine stands on a box with padding to reduce noise caused by vibration, doubt my neighbors would ever have problem with it because even with the windows closed I can hear traffic form outside over the top of it, so I would consider that ultra quiet, since it is oil-less it is obviously also totally maintenance free, and at a third of the price or less of a Bambi at a similar size, definitely a good investment:thumbsup:

Untitled.jpg

Note the danger zone starts at around 70db, a constant 60db isnt a good thing but if it doesn't run often then probably no probs..I'm half deaf already so for me thats only 30 db LOL

View attachment 45384

Note the danger zone starts at around 70db, a constant 60db isnt a good thing but if it doesn't run often then probably no probs..I'm half deaf already so for me thats only 30 db LOL

In Holland when we want to know what the weather is going to be like the next day, we turn on our televisions and choose the channel that gives us the best forecast because they are all different:) but it seems we must apply the same intricate system to choosing noise or decibel charts, I was horrified that too much of 60 Db would end up making me deaf or cause my ears to bleed so I went on the hunt for a more optimistic chart and actually found three that instantly put my mind at rest, my three which I've printed now and framed all state that 60 Db is "normal conversation", thank god is all I say because if too much of normal conversation is bad I need to murder the wife.:eek::eek::eek:

I just checked my compressor with the meter, not an app but the hand held meter I was required to have for my model planes since they had to be under 71 Db for electric and 75 for combustion, the compressor runs at 58.5 Db on it's own, even with the window closed it raised to 67 when a car drove by, so I reckon any our neighbors have far more problems from the traffic outside than my compressor which probably only kicks in for thirty seconds ever 25 minutes or so, what is weird is that just letting air out of the tank which a had to do to get it to kick in for the measure, that registers at a whopping 81 Db:eek:

These charts are merely a guide and you can see from all the examples on google images they are all different, most of the descriptions are vague, I mean out vacuum cleaner puts out 69Db, I didn't measure that, it states it on the box our new washing machine or eco washing machine puts out 53 in normal running and 70 while spinning, so the charts can't really be trusted too much.

I didn't choose my compressor based on any chart, I went to shop and asked to hear it and they switched it on for me, if they hadn't hadn't it would still be there now, if I had to shout to speak to her, it would still be there now and if it had ran continuously the whole time I was there it would still bet there now, but it's not there now, it's in my house:):thumbsup::):thumbsup::)

Here are my three happy happy happy charts;

hearing-damage-chart.png

Decibel-scale.jpg

6004417_f1024.jpg

Now don't these just make one feel safe?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: notice the differnt positions of the vacuum cleaners, which one is the Dyson and which is dust buster?

All of my airbrushing compressors are quiet, my garage one is loud but that doesn't matter. Go for the quietest one you can afford. Also one with a larger tank if possible, saves you upgrading at a later date.

Lee

Interesting charts @Malky and couldn't agree more, some vary greatly, I didn't though search for any, just grabbed the first one I saw in a google search. Conversation is also subjective, loud or quiet conversation, so is everything on any db chart is it a loud vaccum or did someone buy the "silent" version for an extra $80 LOL. and run as soon as you flush the toilet..It may deafen you LOL Point is that if such is constantly running all day it can be damaging or at very least annoying, these seem to be different from the norm of "silent" compressors and one persons quiet isnt anothers. i live in the bush m8, when its quiet here its darn quiet LOLand the added storage it what we have all stated for years to reduce such issue or annoyance to yourself and neighbours. For neigbours though its often not the db rating thats important, its the sub-sonic vibration especially if common walls or concrete is involved, nearly had a couple of blues over that ;) . Your aware of that aspect and fixed it..

Back