Keeping it clean.

steve1111

Needle-chuck Ninja
Hey everyone I would like to know any tips and tricks on how everyone keeps their artwork clean whle working on. My drama is after using an eraser mainly electric how to remove all the debris and furry bit ?
When I use the electric eraser sometime not all I get a bit where the paint stands up and a tack rag won't remove it.
Also just any tips and tricks in general. Thanks for any advice guys and gals I appreciate it

When working on paper/canvas I'll just use a cloth (not one where you have stuff come off it and a soft one so you don't damage your painting). The correct tool to use would be a feather though (one of those fluffy dust thingies also works I foundout)

To get rid of the erasor residu just keeping it upside down and shaking it most of the time does it for me :p

On metal I use the abvove cloth with degreaser (if it can't stand that there is sommething wrong)

I use one of my old painters duster brushes, looks like a very small sweeping brush, but a cheap two inch paint brush (clean) is also good for it, you can use a stiff paint brush for stubborn bits, and if it's stuff that's clinging, meaning embedded slightly in previously wet work, you can get it off with used fine scotch brite pad.

For the really really stubborn stuff, there's always the old angle grinder, lol

A big wide soft brush. Not just for eraser dust but general dusting as well. Never touch your work with your fingers.

LOL, that's exactly what I use, I'm a painter and decorator so I have loads of them, I keep a worn down one in my studio cos it's stiffer and works better.
I love that brush. I'd be lost without it. I have to thank my wife for it though cause I nabbed it from her charcoal drawing drawer...shhhhh

I use one of my old painters duster brushes, looks like a very small sweeping brush, but a cheap two inch paint brush (clean) is also good for it, you can use a stiff paint brush for stubborn bits, and if it's stuff that's clinging, meaning embedded slightly in previously wet work, you can get it off with used fine scotch brite pad.

For the really really stubborn stuff, there's always the old angle grinder, lol
Grinder never thought of that. Lol

Go down to the supermarket and buy some cotton gloves, I cut the trigger finger to knuckle length and also the thumb finger, this allows me to still use the airbrush whilst I have the cotton glove on, then you can use the back of the glove to gently wipe away any erasings with smudging anything or transferring grease, someone posted a brush above, a good idea that I have also used in the past but I use a couple of my old water color sable brushes instead as it wont damage any light paint layers, best of luck..

Whats better than air that you are using lol I just blow my eraser bits off with my brush. When erasing I use a piece of paper to lay my hand on so im not coming in contact with my painting.

I use a 3/4" Squirrel hair Spalter brush to do exactly that, it's very soft and works great :) I got it from an art shop for a few euros.

Back