For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Kwaka Tank part 1

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by forky, Dec 4, 2016.

1. forky

forky Double Actioner

Ok. i found most of the picks i took while doing the job, the picks cover more on the preparation and not so much the artwork, but i hope it helps someone
    [​IMG]
    most of the gear i used, photo doesn't include septone primer filler,septone etch primer or acrylic thinners
    left to right diggers wax and grease remover, next home made reducer, (Mr Micron recipe) used with createx transparent black and white and the autoborn sealer black and also used for the aluminum base (medium)
    Then there is septone topcoat clear and sem candy apple red
    the guns i used, (not pictured ,) an old iwata w 200 with a w400 cap for the etch primer and primer filler and the sealer dark
    At the back is a devilbiss gti pro light for the top coat clear , i have a little star s106 t/j for putting little clear over my artwork to lock it in, air brushes custom micron, badger krome, hp-b plus

cant forget the scrunched up plastic shopping bag for adding the aluminum base for the sort of marbling effect
    [​IMG]

horrible original yellow and purple with pinstripes
    [​IMG]

pinstripes sanded back (400 wet and dry)

[​IMG]

had to sand back a bit further than i would have liked, now will have to put an etch primer over bare metal spots
    [​IMG]

pin striping all off ,now for a good rubdown with 600 wet and dry all over

[​IMG]

he wanted to keep emblem so carefully taped right to the edge

[​IMG]

all taped up and plugged up. and sanded ready to wipe down with wax and grease remover and tack rag

[​IMG]

etch primer sprayed over bare metal, fairly wet

[​IMG]

primer filler, 4 coats so i can rub back any stone chips etc

[​IMG]

side view of primer filler stage

[​IMG]

had a few imperfections to sand out , then primer filler and repeat till i was happy with it

[​IMG]

light rubdown with 600 (dry) wet and dry , wax and grease remover then tack rag,then light bind coat of sealer black

[​IMG]

three more coats, drying off with hair dryer between coats

[​IMG]

same process for guards and sidecovers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i gave them a good few hours in our hot Queensland sun then light rub over with 600(dry) wax and grease , and tack rag. then put 1 light coat of clear to lock in the base color

[​IMG]
    Susi and MeeshellMP like this.