For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Kwaka Tank part 2

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by forky, Dec 4, 2016.

1. forky

forky Double Actioner

made it too long, woops,had to break it up into 2 parts
    ok i forgot to take picks of applying silver base but its a simple matter of spraying silver on shopping bag and dabbing it around result like this

[​IMG]

added more skulls

[​IMG]

then red candy over all , i just did 4 coats, any more and the skulls would have seemed a lot fainter i think

[​IMG]

left that in the sun again for a couple of days this time, gave another light rub over with 600 , wax and greased and tacked again then pu on 3 double wet coats of clear

[​IMG]

thats about it, after a few more days in the sun, and cut back with supercheep auto cut compound all done

[​IMG]

hope that helps someone, i don't do this professionally im still just playing around, i only charged him for the paint i used and a 10 pack of bourbon , was a good learning experience for me and keeps me in the good books with that side of the family lol
    MeeshellMP and musicmacd like this.
  2. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

Very nice indeed and helpful :)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

4. forky

forky Double Actioner

thanks for the comments guys. couple of things i forgot to mention, firstly before i used the cutting compound i used 2500 and 2000 grit wet and dry (dry) over all the work to smooth out the orange peel, as you sand you see the small ridges and lows that with a little work level out, then when you use the cutting compound it leaves a mirror finish
    secondly although acrylic is easier to use than 2 pack it does take a fair while to cure properly, i leave it for a good month before actually polishing it as the polish seals the surface and doesn't allow curing to continue and leaves you with a less hard finish, i always leave the bike in the sun as much as possible for the first month to speed up the curing process, the cut compound can be used on a rag to give it a bit of a shine for the curing time ,if done properly acrylic can be nearly be as durable as 2 pack, although it needs a bit more maintenance ie. polishing (which most of us do to excess anyway lol) it is softer than 2pack as 2pack is more like an epoxy and acrylic is more like a hard plastic coat, i could have put a 2 pack clear over the work if i used the candyO candy apple red instead of Sem candy apple, and if i used the transparent base to lock in my work as i go, its just personal preference to use the acrylic as it is less dangerous to my health
    Susi and Steve McCracken like this.