For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Kwan Yin (asian goddess)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by Gore Hunter, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Gore Hunter

Gore Hunter Needle-chuck Ninja

Hello everyone! I'm back with another project. This is a request from a client. To give some context, Kwan Yin (also named Guan Yin) is an east asian "goddess", from buddhist culture. She's usually referred to as "the goddess of mercy" and is associated with compassion and kindness. Such a nice lady :) The lotus flower is strongly associated to her as well.

Now to our subject. I started by drawing the main shapes from the reference. I took the liberty to adjust some shapes, such as the circles behind her (in the reference they're kinda misshapen). Also I had to build most of the jewelry, since the reference doesn't have enough resolution to appreciate such details.

As usual, I'm painting on Gesso'd MDF board, 68x49 cms., Iwata Eclipse Cs and Createx's Wicked Colors :))

[​IMG]

After drawing, I painted the background and stone altar. Not much to tell about this, just masked her figure off, and started by defining some shapes with Paynes Grey, and then added some color, using mainly Detail Violet and Aqua. Still need to add some details here and there, but I'll do it later on.

[​IMG]

Next I painted the round plates. The client asked for some metallic effect, so I painted these plates with Gold (all the jewelry will be painted with silver too). Again, not much to tell. Protected her figure, cut me some stencils and used Paynes Grey to add the shapes over the golden paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love painting with metallic or fluorescent colors, they add a really nice touch to any piece :D
    Now begins the hard work. Today I started painting her skin. I gotta admit, I don't have much experience in this department (I've painted just one "human" before), so I'm taking it nice and slow. I just hope I don't mess it up, so wish me luck!
    I'll be uploading more photos soon :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001, JackEb, Russ Allen and 5 others like this.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Really nice! Great subject.
    Gore Hunter likes this.
  3. Micha der Wolf

Micha der Wolf Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Beautiful start! This is something else!
    Gore Hunter likes this.
  4. CHÉRIE

CHÉRIE Needle-chuck Ninja

Looking awesome so far :D
    Gore Hunter likes this.
  5. Big John 1945

Big John 1945 Needle-chuck Ninja

Wow, what a challenge. Can't wait to see more.
    Gore Hunter likes this.
  6. Russ Allen

Russ Allen Elite Member! Elite Member!

Looks like quite the challenge!! Look forward to your progress on this one!!

Gore Hunter likes this.
  7. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

So far, so great!
    Gore Hunter likes this.
  8. Gore Hunter

Gore Hunter Needle-chuck Ninja

Trying to rush this project I forgot to take pictures of the process... I worked the skin tones, did the face and hair and now I'm working on the clothes... gotta say, there's nothing 100% done yet. There are details and shadows missing everywhere, some because I got distracted by painting some other portion or just because I want to nail them all at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have to adjust some tones and add details, specially to the jewelry, but it's taking shape. Gotta admit it though, I'm not happy with the face. I believe I went too dark, even though in the reference there's a strong contrast between light and shadow areas. I knew it was going to be a tricky part, and I think I got it just right, but not as good as I would have wished.

Anyway, I expect to finish it during this week. I'll try to remember to take more photos!

CHÉRIE, basepaint, doc1 and 3 others like this.