Looking to get new compressor

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
The compressor I use has a tank attached and when it is pumping to refill back to max pressure, the motor housing gets awful hot. I bought this about a year ago off ebay and it was used. It also is louder than it used to be. A month ago I bought a Harbor Freight airbrush compressor in case this one went out and it is pretty quiet but no tank. The only pressure it builds up is what is in the hose. I did attach a filter and regulator to it.
I need one for inside house and needs to be pretty quiet. I get up very early ( just can't sleep but about 5 hours ) and my wife doesn't get up until 8 or 9 o'clock. I like to paint some in the mornings until she gets up.
Not sure what I'll get but a good one is pretty costly.
I think I prefer a tank with it but I have used the HF one and it does work OK.
If anyone wants to comment on what they use and how they like it ( I'm listening )

Richard

It is likely possible to connect the new compressor to the old tank. What is the volume? That might be worth considering. You would need to think about the pressure cut off switches.

I use a giant screw compressor and a homebuilt silent one so I can't recommend one but definitely get one with a tank.
If you have the proper tools you can buy a slightly louder compressor for much much cheaper than a silent one and build a box that really muffles the sound.

If you watch airbrushdreams videos he uses an iwata great white which is pretty quiet but expensive from what I remember.

I would definitely suggest a tank. I'm assuming your HF one is pretty much having to run non stop, if so then over heating could be an issue there too, and also working so hard all the time is going to shorten its life in all likelihood.

Quiet is expensive unfortunately, but maybe you could go for quiet-ish? California air is popular, and reasonably priced. It is meant to be somewhere around 60 -65 db, if I remember rightly, and that is supposed to = conversation level according to some internet sites. I'm sure the tone could be more intrusive however, but its still pretty good by compressor standards. Then as the poster above suggests you could make something to muffle it if needed.

I haven't officially started looking yet but I know it is in the works to start. Just wondering what others use and how well it is liked or not liked because???????? I am able to get by with what I have until the inevitable. :(

Richard

California air is looking very good for the price and low noise. Think I'll push the button on this brand.

Richard

It will definitely hold up to airbrushing. Just for a reference those 5000btu window ac's run at roughly 60 decibel so it should be fine. If you want it alittle bit more quite build a box or put it into a plastic tub.

I was playing around with a cheap compressor yesterday that doesn't have a tank. I was cleaning an old brush that I don't use much anymore and was doing straight lines and dots with it. I know now why a tank is recommended. Going slow with a thin line it was giving me a small dot on top of the line when the compressor was running. Each time the piston would push air it gave me a small dot then continued with the line. They were very small but it looked weird. Learn something every day. :eek:ops::cool: Supposed to get my new California Air next couple of days. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Richard

My California air compressor has the 1 hp motor and is a little louder than I thought it would be based upon their comparison videos, but with the door closed to my office, you have to listen for it. The tabletop fan in the next room is louder than the compressor from the other room when the door is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

could always build a box for it then I doubt you could hear it at all.

Well I got it today and it is louder than the el-cheapo I was using. The tank is twice the size of the cheapo, so it doesn't crank up as much. I can live with the noise and if needed I can make a box to cover it with.
I use an external pressure valve adjustment and I haven't searched yet how much pressure the hoses can take so I set the one on the new one to 45 lbs since I run around 20 lbs or less with the brushes. The new one pumps up to 90 lbs and I don't think the hoses would stand that for very long.
For the price, California Air is what I needed and hope to give it a good workout.

Richard

What hoses? The soft flexible material that a 1/8 airbrush line is made of? Or a 1/4 plastic semi-flexible line?

It's just a soft standard airbrush hose with 1/8" fittings on each end. I had to buy an adapter for the new compressor since it comes with a standard 1/4" quick disconnect and I had another adapter to convert it down to 1/8". My desktop regulator that the hose attaches to is set up with a 2 outlet port manifold. I saw no need to adjust the compressor with output of 90 lbs. to run full 90 lbs. into the hose all the time. It will drop down to about 70 lbs. before it starts back pumping up the tank. I haven't looked inside the air pressure switch but I have had to adjust some before ( when I used to work ) for the start up and cutoff pressure adjustment. For how I operate, I see no need to adjust anything for now.

Richard

Well I got it today and it is louder than the el-cheapo I was using.
Richard

Did you fit the air filter? And you can quite it down a bit more with a bit of a dishwashing-up rag. Only 2 layers otherwise you will choke the motor.

compressor_intake_sml.jpg

Did you fit the air filter? And you can quite it down a bit more with a bit of a dishwashing-up rag. Only 2 layers otherwise you will choke the motor.

View attachment 49678

Yes I installed the filter. Haven't put anything on the end of the tube though. Might try that to keep something from sucking up into the tube. It's not unbearable but is a little louder than the one I was using. I think I'll make a cover and put it over the compressor. That might help a little since I would have to make sure there is enough air getting to it through the cover. Sprayed with it last night and it was a better smoother flow.
Thanks

Richard

This feels like eaves dropping but having gone through three diagram oil free compressors with air-tank within two years , I am just an amateur with great respect for the airbrush artists here, a constant air supply around the same noise level as a domestic fridge with an 11 ltr tank. OK it cost just over £300 not sure how much in $ but it included two airbrushes not top of the range but pretty decent it is an hermetic compressor the oil sits in the base of the shell but does not carry over to your air supply. My choice was a Bambi runs on 650 watts 230 ac. I am not seeking to up their sales and there are plenty of choices for low noise pumps for what it`s worth working indoors my opinion is go for a low noise lubricated comp` with a descent volume tank

Back