Lube

L

lindy

Would it be out of line to use a silicone grease in an airbrush? I have some very pure silicone grease of the kind that scuba divers use in their air regulators, and I was wondering if it might be okay to use a very thin wipe of the stuff in my airbrush. If not I'll just use the lube that came with my brush, and put more on my shopping list.
I do have a half pound of the silicone though and it would be nice to know if I could extend it's usefulness.

SIlicone, machine oil can get into the paint and screw up a painting.
Most airbrush lube is water base lube and to be honest the only time I do lube my airbrush is when I know it will be stored for a long time.
Get find you some SuperLube and it takes very little.

That would be disastrous, silicone is bad for any kind of paint, not just in direct contact but even the vapours it gives off, put it anywhere near your airbrush and it will cause cissing, or as some call it "fish eye".

Use only a recognised lubricant to avoid problems.

Keeps us young mate, bit of gutter never done us any harm

You obviously have more luck than me, the last time I came in contact with the gutter I broke my nose, in case your wondering what happened, some fool was riding a bike in the wrong direction and knocked me over, ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Not going to touch that one.That's what she said right. Lube bro..., oops I mean fish eye, that's too funny!

You obviously have more luck than me, the last time I came in contact with the gutter I broke my nose, in case your wondering what happened, some fool was riding a bike in the wrong direction and knocked me over, ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
LMFAO i was too busy checking out the hooker

Would it be out of line to use a silicone grease in an airbrush? I have some very pure silicone grease of the kind that scuba divers use in their air regulators, and I was wondering if it might be okay to use a very thin wipe of the stuff in my airbrush. If not I'll just use the lube that came with my brush, and put more on my shopping list.
I do have a half pound of the silicone though and it would be nice to know if I could extend it's usefulness.

I'm guessing trident silicone grease? I use it to lubricate the o rings on my pre charged pneumatic air rifle.

Like the others said no way do you want it near your air brush. Silicone is actually hard to take off of metal too.

I learned this when I sprayed some into the barrel on one of my air rifles. It was never the same again. I found out that it basically contaminated the metal, and no amount of cleaning could remove it.

Thanks for all the great input guys... See, it really does pay to look before leaping, and a seemingly stupid can yield great results. My frugal Yooper brain was telling me safe enough for breathing gear then what could be the harm. I think I'll just add a bit of Super Lube to my shopping list. lol

I was going to say that must've been sore - but it's rude - so I won't :)
Nah, rude would be telling you what we used to call the stuff (silicone grease) when I was in the Navy... Okay, okay... Boy butter, see now that's rude...

Back