Lube

Boy butter, really. Leave it to a bunch of guys trapped on a ship for months at a time to "come" up with that. Thank you for your service Lindy.

Don't mean to get disgusting or allow others to take it down that path LOL, but rub some spit on it..Works as well as anything else..I do use sowing machine oil and for when a brush is sitting for awhile its fine, just take it out and wipe of the excess prior to use..The remainder will be gone pretty quickly but many over lube their airbrush, it doesnt need to be lubed if your using it the next day..Lube is primarily to ensure smooth movement in the seals, most seals these days are teflon and self lubricating so I'd only bother with lube if using a cheap airbrush that likely has Rubber O-Rings as seals and feels a bit grippy or you plan to sit it for awhile or your doing a full breakdown..Best of luck..

I wipe the needle with Iwata Superlube when I do a break down cleaning (more for the benefit of the packing than the tip: I figure spraying even mild solvents would strip it right off the tip anyway). I've heard of using a drop of oil on the air valve plunger, but I wouldn't use Superlube there, as Superlube dries gummy with time and thus is better for parts that're cleaned regularly than "fire and forget" lubing.

Would this stuff be any good for the air valve?

Could be? LOL..I personally just use any light pneumatic oil mate, sowing machine oil is one of my faves as I can steal it from the wife LOL ..

Good if you have those things lying around your home or work already, but not everyone will (I don't). Something I can toss on top of an online order is by far the easiest and most convenient (and cheapest) if it's not something I need tonight. As long as I'm buying online anyway, there'd be no convenience difference between whatever's ideal and whatever will do in a pinch, so the only reason to not get the ideal would be not knowing what it is.

Ya can buy light pnuematic oil online mate and really a lot of "special" oils or "branded" airbrush lubes/oils are ones they tip from a big drum of standard pnuematic oil, give it a cool name, repackage it in a cool container and charge you 8 times the value for...or maybe some waterbased oil is the go, this one also has a duel purpose and likely as close as your local pharmacy LOL..Oh and they do sell it online and your artwork may enjoy it a bit..Soz cldnt help myself LOL

http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/pr...pid=894794X1&gclid=CIyo_Lyg-cECFVh5vQodoYYA1A

Thanks. I'd been looking for pneumatic lubes, but I was having a hard time sorting out which ones were good or bad for O-rings.

For the air valve specifically I actually want to avoid water based lubes that can dry out, as the air valve won't be disassembled/cleaned unless something actually goes wrong with it, unlike the needle/nozzle/cup assembly which I clean regularly according to use.

I use technical oil that you get from the pharmacy. Really cheap. It is water soluble and does not affect anything rubber. I've left parts in it for over a week to test. It does not gunk up either but it does evaporates very slowly. But I will not bring any lube anywhere near my air path. There are no parts that need to be lubed in the air intake. If it is sticky, it means it is dirty.

Back