Making paint help

K

kylegabbert

Hello, if I find the rgb code of paint, essentially would I just have to mix that ratio of red green and blue paint to get that color? And also, if I wanted it to be metallic would I add some metallic silver to it? Will be using auto air and wicked

It will be RYB and would only be a guide as all paints have didferent amounts of pigment.
For Metalic look you would require Metalic paint, I think a Base coat silver/Aluminum tinted with a candy colour works great too

Yer wrong color code unless ya a TV :) RGB is used when painting with light. The story is very long though, but suggest you get into some basic color theory and there are numerous resources around. Adding metallic silver may work but depends what kind of paints your adding, you can buy metallic flake and add it directly to paint of nearly any sort but it needs to be pretty finely ground for most airbrushes to spray or you can base in metalic and wash over it as suggested above..A few ways of skinning that cat.

Ok awesome, thanks guys. Where would I find the RYB code? Anytime I look up a color code it gives the values in RGB. @musicmacd

There are no codes. It is basic colour theory.
OK thank you, what I'm doing is making a custom yeti cup for a customer. She wants it Dallas cowboys colors, and I'm trying to get the ratios of each paint to be able to mix and make that color. How would I find that ratio

OK thank you, what I'm doing is making a custom yeti cup for a customer. She wants it Dallas cowboys colors, and I'm trying to get the ratios of each paint to be able to mix and make that color. How would I find that ratio
The reason you can't get a generic code is because all blues, reds and yellows are not the same.

The reason you can't get a generic code is because all blues, reds and yellows are not the same.
Yes but if we're able to get at least a basic mix ratio I could adjust it after mixing to get my desired color instead of just adding parts of paint randomly

you will need to make a opaque color with either white or black depending on how dark or light the color is , I noticed you want to mix red with green this will give you a brown add blue and the brown will get darker

Ok that makes sense, thank you. Like I said in using auto air and wicked, would an aluminum base mixed with the color give it a metallic look? @Ronald art

Ok that makes sense, thank you. Like I said in using auto air and wicked, would an aluminum base mixed with the color give it a metallic look? @Ronald art
I cant help you with that question : I never use anything that createx makes and if I need a metallic look I mix a metallic base to my paint : the paint with only flakes and no color added to it so it would not change the color I want to use but only add the flakes to it I would do the same with pearls

I cant help you with that question : I never use anything that createx makes and if I need a metallic look I mix a metallic base to my paint : the paint with only flakes and no color added to it so it would not change the color I want to use but only add the flakes to it I would do the same with pearls
Thank you, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try!

Thank you, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try!

That's the fun :) I posted years ago and they abound on the web but basic art color charts that sometimes list common base recipe's for particular tones but it usually comes with a bit of this and that make that, not so much particular ratio's but thats easy to come by by experimenting with the understanding of that base color chart, will see if I still have it scanned anywhere as it was a goodie..Its pretty easy once you get into it and gets harder day by day but everytime you make a color, make a color card of that color and write on it the exact mix you used, this way you make your own value chart that will be precise and will enable you to match any future color need, but experiment, have fun and see what happens..

The other problem with "recipes" is no two manufacturers are the same... I might have a mix that works with golden but not etac... practice is the best way to do it... start with small amounts or maybe find one of a close match. That blue shouldn't be too hard to find.

Back