Master to Iwata - revelation!

A

Andy Parham

I guess like a lot of new artists I didn't want to commit to purchasing an expensive brush until I got the hang of things. I was drawn to the cheap Master brushes as they seemed to work ok and I wanted to prove to myself that I was going to stick at this. I must say that yes, they do work, just about ok.

As I became more ambitious I found that I was fighting to pull off finer details. No matter what I tried, paint straining, thinning and pressure, I could never achieve consistency. Fine lines were possible but it was all a bit hit and miss.

Today the teddy was thrown completely out of the pram with it and a bought an Iwata HP-C+

Well bugger me with a fish fork - clean, predictable, fine, consistent and controllable detail straight out of the box. This thing just puts paint down exactly where I want it to go, so the only thing holding me back now is me. It is a joy to use and is instantly making everything better, i have not put it down for hours since I got home.

To all of you who are new to this like me and are holding back on buying a decent brush - don't. When you finally commit you are going to be surprised how good you can be and wish you had done it far earlier.

As the saying goes "you get what you pay for". Always worth waiting that little bit longer till you can afford the bettr brush. You can always use the waiting time to read through the sbs section and learn some great tecniques ready for when you can start.:thumbsup:

We have all (well most of us) started with cheap knock off brushes and think they are ok until we upgrade. Nothing stopping you now [emoji1303][emoji1303]

I'll put my hand up as one that started with the cheap brush. It's definitely a major change, and nice to know that all the 'bad' experiences weren't just user inexperience.

I started straight out with an eclipse and have never looked back. I had the advantage of using Iwata's in spray shops for years so was very biased towards them. Welcome to the Iwata side... we got cookies... :)

I started with an HP B
Then found this forum and bought a micron C
Then a micron Sb
Then a HP C anniversary
Then a Revolution
Now waiting for K33 Micron

No issues here im afraid...........

Great stuff. It will last you for 50 years.

I'm don't believe in the advise "buy the best you can afford". Nobody wants to pay a lot of money but sometimes you just have to.

I started with an HP B
Then found this forum and bought a micron C
Then a micron Sb
Then a HP C anniversary
Then a Revolution
Now waiting for K33 Micron

No issues here im afraid...........

You should get yourself a cheapie just to see what fun a lot of us had in the beginning;)

I started with cheapies, one of which I still have and still use for priming and varnishing, I actually got a lot out of them mainly because I knew what kind of tampering was needed to make them work, but after getting my HP-B I too was amazed at the difference:thumbsup: Now also have the side feed version of the same brush and the Micron CM-B, I doubt I'll ever bother with any other brand now, I did have an evolution silver line which as far as I know is still in orbit:eek:

I started with a secondhand Iwata HP SB plus picked it up for 70 euro's and it was the best thing I ever did : it saved me all the frustrations starters can have with cheap knock off's
I used this brush to learn the basics and painted my first portraits with it and I still use it next to my micron from time to time .
I fully understand that starters dont wont to spend much on a airbrush but this can also lead to giving up on the airbrush all together due to the problems they experience with the cheap airbrushes like my friend did years ago : he bought a revel airbrush tried to paint with it for a month or so just to find out it was no good for anything but spaying trough stencils

More like by cheap by 3 0r 4 times, and then realise you have spent the same as you would have just buying a decent brush in the first place, and the decent brush would still be working, and then you end up buying a good brush anyway (if the crappy brush hasn't put you off altogether, or made you think you can't do it), and end up having spent twice as much.

Do I sound bitter at all? LOL lollol

Well, according to both of our brushes, buying expensive doesn't stop you from buying twice either. ;)

But it's more fun to want or should I say drool than to buy out sheer necessity although when the asks it is necessity:eek:

I came close to buying a K33 Micron yesterday, so apparently my AAD isn't totally under control yet...

Its a terrible disease to have to suffer, I reckon you should just order it, if you don't the rash will get worse and you might even go off your food, this could make you very weak and you'll struggle with paint pals if you don't have the strength to hold a brush in your butt crack to paint with your arse like I know you like to do, between you and me, I think your doctor is a quack, he should have already given you a prescription for one, and the K33 balm too, with that you can get those cheeks lubed up ready for the dragon challenge after paint pals:eek::eek::eek:

Damn it man, why can't you just use your hands like everyone else, why have you got to be different, and what did Dru think of your method? :confused:

Its a terrible disease to have to suffer, I reckon you should just order it, if you don't the rash will get worse and you might even go off your food, this could make you very weak and you'll struggle with paint pals if you don't have the strength to hold a brush in your butt crack to paint with your arse like I know you like to do, between you and me, I think your doctor is a quack, he should have already given you a prescription for one, and the K33 balm too, with that you can get those cheeks lubed up ready for the dragon challenge after paint pals:eek::eek::eek:

Damn it man, why can't you just use your hands like everyone else, why have you got to be different, and what did Dru think of your method? :confused:

I should just buy it, because I probably will at some point anyway.

I asked Dru a few questions during the course and for some reason, he refused to use my brush. Maybe he's a bit of a germaphobe. ;)

I asked Dru a few questions during the course and for some reason, he refused to use my brush. Maybe he's a bit of a germaphobe. ;)

And I actually thought he was a nice guy, can't think at all why he would refuse, unless he paints with his teeth:eek:

Problem will be when you make your mind up there wont be any available!

Back