Masters airbrush cheap micron

P

Peter1985

Looking at a cheap masters micron from TCP globel from the states. I know they are cheap but has anyone had any experience with one. Just using water based paints

I had. It was among fist ABs I owned and I can say that I liked it more that other chinese ABs. It had 0.2 and 0.3mm nozzles. I used 0.3 as 0.2 had clogging at once. I used diluted acrylics from tubes anf that's headache!:)
It has teflon needle packing (at least mine had) and nozzle rubber o-ring was changed to smth thinner resistant (for urethanes). If you can try urethane paints, they're great for ABing.
But now I use iwata and it's another planet, compared to chinese ABs.

Hey Vladimir I've herd alot of mixed reviews on this brand the G44 in question. I think I'll just save up for another iwata. Maybe in the future I might buy one for a bit of a play. Thanks for your advice. They just look like a decent brush on the outside.

Hey Vladimir I've herd alot of mixed reviews on this brand the G44 in question. I think I'll just save up for another iwata. Maybe in the future I might buy one for a bit of a play. Thanks for your advice. They just look like a decent brush on the outside.

If you already own an Iwata, there is no way in this world you are going to reap any benefit by going backwards and buying a master airbrush, these brushes are aimed at folks who don't have a clue and can't afford better gear, you have a damn good brush already so be happy with and if you feel the need to get another brush stick with what you know.

Would you trade in your Rolls Royce for a Fiat Panda? ;)

I think I'll just save up for another iwata. Maybe in the future I might buy one for a bit of a play.

Stange question then you've asked if you already use iwata:) Be sure that you will not be on the 7th sky trying to use Master after iwata:)
Chinese ABs only look like iwatas but never perform iwata's way.
If to think maybe to use chinese ABs for backgrounds or other not responsible works, then it's better to add a little money and to buy Eclipse which is very good airbrush.

Hey thanks for the comments. I was just curious I've seen them around on ebay and at TCP global. Just wanted some feed back on them. I do use my iwata hpc plus and I love this brush. Currently saving for another brush. I think I'll just stick to iwata. Thanks for all the info. I do like to know the good bad and ugly side of airbrushes just educating myself.

Hey thanks for the comments. I was just curious I've seen them around on ebay and at TCP global. Just wanted some feed back on them. I do use my iwata hpc plus and I love this brush. Currently saving for another brush. I think I'll just stick to iwata. Thanks for all the info. I do like to know the good bad and ugly side of airbrushes just educating myself.
Hey im with ya, i occasionally like to just mess with other things. I have a couple chinese airbrushes that do ok. But now that i have a bottle fed and gravity fed eclipse. There is no need.
The one airbrush i found pretty amazing was a sparmax. But it is not much cheaper than an eclipse.

Some of us can't afford a micron so anything that would work is of interest. I saw a Sotar relatively inexpensive on Amazon.
That is like saying you want Lamborghini performance but can't afford it so you'll get a Ford but still want it to perform.

Well, that is why my wife has a VW GTI R32. It spends as much time in the shop as a Lamborghini! But no, I don't expect $500 performance from a $50 airbrush, just want it to perform as it was designed to do. If it only lasts three to six months, oh well.

Well, that is why my wife has a VW GTI R32. It spends as much time in the shop as a Lamborghini! But no, I don't expect $500 performance from a $50 airbrush, just want it to perform as it was designed to do. If it only lasts three to six months, oh well.

What, you're not a patriot? First you bought a European car and now you want a Chinese airbrush that's a knock-off of a Japanese airbrush that is based on another Japanese airbrush. ;)

Me? I drive a Dodge. If there is a Badger AB that will work for me I will consider it. Hey, I asked about the Sotar, remember? Besides. I thought we were discussing airbrushes, not politics?

i started w a G44.....it was great for the price bought the small needle kit and the air nozzle threads wouldnt fit they (TCP) wanted me send in brush but i never did....now i own a Nice HPC+ fitted w a .2 needle... wish ida started with it....i still use the g44 for spraying big areas.... i prolly got one of the better G44s cause i hear their hit and miss at best..... i let the kids use it to get a feel of airbrushing...great for them so quality time is spent in the studio....lol...

I have read the threads on the Sotar which is why I mentioned it here. Lot of why it isn't as good as a micron posts.

I have read the threads on the Sotar which is why I mentioned it here. Lot of why it isn't as good as a micron posts.

For nearly three years before I ever had a Micron I had my heart set on a the Sotar, the only reason reason I never actually got one was because I couldn't find one, or if I could, delivery would have cost me as much as the brush itself, I've never had a credit card which made many options impossible, even though I do have a Micron now I would still have the sotar.

Pretty much everything I've heard about the Sotar was positive and promising, I don't use my micron much mainly because of the cost of spares, in that respect the Sotar becomes a more inviting option, I couldn't say if it's not as good as a Micron since I've never used one, but any airbrush is only as good as the person using it, the fact that it might not be as good as a Micron doesn't mean it's bad and since Badger are very well known for the excellent after sales service and I have to say I personally think they go way beyond what they need to, there is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't buy any of their models, we've seen some excellent works here on the forum from almost all of their models.

Reviews and opinions are always handy to have but people shouldn't rely too much on just that, what I mean here is that a lot of reviews are based on a short period of use of one brush and a negative review could be damaging to the maker of that tool costing a drop in sales, but for a test to be totally fair opinions would need to be based on long term use of several examples of the same tool, so any opinions are merely a guide which you choose to believe or not believe, the only way to be sure is to try it for yourself.

But as I said since the positives over the Sotar far outweigh the negatives, I'de certainly take the chance on one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Madbrush and Andre, I will keep an eye out for a deal on one when my cash flow situation improves, currently at negative:(

If you do get one, I strongly recommend the side-feed one. It's not as cheap as the Amazon price for the gravity one, but as the owner of 1 of each type, IMO the side feed one does a better job of justifying itself.

The gravity feed one is too similar to my HP-CS in it's abilities. It has better atomization, and a more intuitive trigger response curve, but it's fussier to maintain, and doesn't ultimately deliver finer lines that the CS can ( I can do mechanical pencil thin lines with both, but the SOTAR does it with less overspray, and the CS does it with less clogging). I liked a lot of things about the gravity SOTAR, but I ultimately preferred using the CS because it's less hassle, and the difference in the actual on-paper results was honestly almost negligible.

The side feed model, however, adds enough ergonomic advantages to overturn this. The CS is still less hassle, but the side-feed SOTAR feels so much more natural and intuitive in my hand that I now reach for it as my main instead of the CS. I strongly feel it should be the default version of the SOTOR rather than the gravity model, and IMO it is to both the consumers ' and Badger's detriment that it's locked up in a vendor exclusive deal.

Also it should've come with a 1/16 oz cup instead of the 1/8 oz cup. Got one of those recently (a 1/16 oz cup), and it's much better suited to the brush than the 1/8.

Can't say how it compares to a Micron, but if you can't afford a Micron, the side feed SOTAR is IMO worth it in terms of ergonomics. If you already have a Eclipse CS though, then I don't really recommend settling for a regular gravity SOTAR. I'd also still strongly recommend the CS over either SOTAR version as a beginners' brush.

Back