MICRON and COMPLAINT against this board.

I'm a bit curious on why people seem to prefere the CM-SB to the CM-B. I have never liked side feeds that much, and sold my SB close to unused.

I'm a bit curious on why people seem to prefere the CM-SB to the CM-B. I have never liked side feeds that much, and sold my SB close to unused.

I must say it took me some getting used to but for me it has 3 big advantages.
-I can change the possition of the cup when I need to use my airbrush at an angle on stuff like motorcycles.
-Fast change of paint. I have serveral cups and one filled with water. Spray through with water get another paint and when you want to go back to the previous color just pick up that cup again.
-No cup in the way when doing realy close up stuff (eyelashes on a small eye). Granted this doesn't come into play a lot :)

From my point of view the CM-SB seems to have the best of both worlds. It seems to be as responsive and as frugal with paint as a gravity feed but without the cup blocking my view. It has the ability to be as quick and easy to change colours as a syphon feed brush without needing as much paint or as high pressures. For fine detail or illustration work using small amounts of paint, I can't imagine using anything else.

Do you really find a small cup blocking your view? I always look at either the needle point, or directly in front of it, where the paint hits the surface I'm painting. I've never found small cups blocking my view. Not even the C cup really, but definitly not the A "cup" (if you can call it a cup) of my MP-200A.
I can see the practical benefit of being able to set the orientation of the cup, but how many users need that on a detail airbrush?

Do you really find a small cup blocking your view? I always look at either the needle point, or directly in front of it, where the paint hits the surface I'm painting. I've never found small cups blocking my view. Not even the C cup really, but definitly not the A "cup" (if you can call it a cup) of my MP-200A.
I can see the practical benefit of being able to set the orientation of the cup, but how many users need that on a detail airbrush?

I agree. I don't look down the length of the airbrush like shooting a rifle, so the cup on my CMC+ still isn't in the way. When doing detail work, the brush is in my right hand and I can easily see the needle.
I personally don't like the side feeds because maintenance was a pain in the ass for me. The stock cup had to be taken apart when changing colors because some paint always seemed to linger in the bottom. I know plenty of people have Aztek and other 3rd party cups. I may give another side feed a shot at some point. As of right now, if I were to order another Micron, it would be the CM-B.

after my stroke I found out I had lost the fine control over my trigger finger and I needed a taller trigger on my old cm sb and when the cm sb v2 came on the market with the slightly taller trigger with the square head I didnt have to think twice about it and bought on :)
this trigger is just what I needed to gain my full control back and the improved head makes this the best micron I have ever used besides the Zsolt micron that is ;) ( I hope I get the chance to test his new prototype in April ;) )

Quick colour changes is my reason. For some people it is also the way they hold their guns. The top cups are in the way. Not in my case as I rock the trigger by it's tail. I like them now so much that I think all my Iwatas will be side feeds from now on.

Quick colour changes is my reason. For some people it is also the way they hold their guns. The top cups are in the way. Not in my case as I rock the trigger by it's tail. I like them now so much that I think all my Iwatas will be side feeds from now on.
I only use side feed iwata's because I can use em in every angle I want :) on the tank I am working now I also need to paint parts of the underside and with a side feed I dont have to turn the tank upside down but only twist the cup and hold the brush upside down :) I have only one brush with a cup and I only use it if I need a big nozzle size for pearls or metallic's so it sits on the stand unused for years on end

the CM-SB V2 is a micron jump ahead of the other microns. It feels like the paint is coming out of my finger.

I really like to older style triggers better than the new. Never been a fan of tall triggers. I rather have short triggers and soft springs, and the old style, where the piston is hinged directly to the trigger. In my opinion, it matters more than length or shape of the trigger

I used to be just fine with the older style triggers and right now after training my right hand for 2 years I am starting to get the feel back for the old style trigger , but I really like the new style it is just about 1,5 mm higher and the square top just gives me that little extra control back I lost

the CM-SB V2 is a micron jump ahead of the other microns. It feels like the paint is coming out of my finger.
It is coming out your finger @airbrushtutor, you are mystical Mitch!!! I know you don't remember but Iwata did some wolverine experimentation on you replacing your bones with micron parts. Just don't bend a needle that would be rough. Oopps there I go beimg a bad ninja again @Madbrush is probably gonna pull my ninja status.

Although I still consider myself a beginner I can't but totally agree with you Mitch.. compared to my CM-C+ V2 the CM-SB V2 is at least one, possibly two steps up the ladder. Think "paint" and it delivers.

I can hardly wait for my Zsolt Marissa K33 0,18mm needle to hit the mail box any day now..

I haven't shot the CM-C+, but I know the cm-sb feels right in my hand, balanced. The side cup works well for being out of my vision and not having to move my head up or to the side. I have never shot a side feed until now, but wanted something with instantaneous trigger response. I was concerned that a side feed might not be instantaneous but the CM-SB is. There is no guessing on the trigger pull when the paint will start and stop.

If I'll ever buy an Iwata Micron again, it will most likely be another CM-SB, mostly because there could be a need for a bottle fed Micron at some time. Non of the other existing versions have anything that I feel is better than the ones I have. I might be tempted to buy a CM-C if they made one with the new cup design, but without the Mac-valve.

I haven't shot the CM-C+, but I know the cm-sb feels right in my hand, balanced. The side cup works well for being out of my vision and not having to move my head up or to the side. I have never shot a side feed until now, but wanted something with instantaneous trigger response. I was concerned that a side feed might not be instantaneous but the CM-SB is. There is no guessing on the trigger pull when the paint will start and stop.

The CM-C+ V2 has IMO the same trigger response as the CM-SB V2, no difference there. But as an illustration airbrush, the CM-SB V2 really shines. Not that the CM-C+ is bad in any way, not at all. But I guess it's more of an automotive airbrush. Don't ask me why it feels like that, it's just my personal experience.

Just my 2 cents.

The CM-C+ V2 has IMO the same trigger response as the CM-SB V2, no difference there. But as an illustration airbrush, the CM-SB V2 really shines. Not that the CM-C+ is bad in any way, not at all. But I guess it's more of an automotive airbrush. Don't ask me why it feels like that, it's just my personal experience.

Just my 2 cents.
It's too long. Small cup models and side feeds like the CM-SB are a lot shorter in the front, which makes you get closer too the canvas. Large cup airbrushes are longer, and gives less control for details. Like holding a pencil further up on the shaft. The CM-C+ has a large cup and the Mac valve, which makes it the longest micron of them all. Front heavy, and trigger something like three inches (or more) from the front. In my opinion worthless for fine detail. Sold mine after a month, and it was my first micron. If I hadn't already bought a B-model, I would probably have given up on microns at that point.

Back