Micron vs. Infinity

I forgot that you used Wicked, never mind. :)
Denatured Alcohol just destroys the binder in Createx Illustration, so I rarely have to remove nozzles.
Yeah wicked is good at what it does, but you do not ever want to let it set up... like ever. I went to bed once forgetting to clean my Krome........ the words that came out of my mouth. I found denatured alchohol ok, but i often use my w 500 as a cleaner. While it seems expensive im still using a quart bottle from months ago. Buying reducer in quarts when chicago airbrush has a sale is like 20 bucks or so.

Sorry for your broken nozzle. I had the same situation with my first SB+, next day I had it the AB fell from the hanger on tiled floor and broken needle and both nozzles. I had to wait for the replacemets for a month and it costed me 100$. So I fully understand you.

If I drop the AB and it is clearly my fault, I would be mad about myself, but I have to accept it. In this case with the nozzle I don't think I did anything wrong. The amount of power I applied wouldn't even break wood or would be enough to tier paper apart. It was certainly less then it took me to unscrew it...

Anyway if I get a new one I will try to not remove it an clean it as you all suggested.

Red stuff is a sealant. I always removed it after the first AB session as I always remove the nozzles for cleaning it and also all paint passages inside the AB body.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Was just confused, because on the spare part photos it has a rubber o-ring on it.

This is of course just speculation, but if the nozzle was broken already when I received it that red stuff might have covered the crack and made it work. I honestly cannot believe it would break that easily and a manufacturer would even ship a tool with it, which means failing by default for everyone buying an AB for more than 400€! I knew upfront that it is a fragile part, so even with that warning and quite some experience with such small parts I broke a good nozzle? I really don't know what I should think about that...

Thanks, that's what I thought. Was just confused, because on the spare part photos it has a rubber o-ring on it.

Iwata nozzles do not have any o-ring on them. They're perfectly done and don't need that.
It's only chinese knock-offs have rubber o-rings.

This is of course just speculation, but if the nozzle was broken already when I received it that red stuff might have covered the crack and made it work. I honestly cannot believe it would break that easily and a manufacturer would even ship a tool with it, which means failing by default for everyone buying an AB for more than 400€! I knew upfront that it is a fragile part, so even with that warning and quite some experience with such small parts I broke a good nozzle? I really don't know what I should think about that...

There's always human factor. Maybe technician at the iwata factory has overtightened it but hasn't not broken it yet, and you have "finished" that mistake. Who knows. But if it's so then I hear it for the first time.
I've never had any problem with my iwatas, never. Though I always disassemble each AB after each session for cleaning.

If I drop the AB and it is clearly my fault, I would be mad about myself, but I have to accept it. In this case with the nozzle I don't think I did anything wrong. The amount of power I applied wouldn't even break wood or would be enough to tier paper apart. It was certainly less then it took me to unscrew it...

Anyway if I get a new one I will try to not remove it an clean it as you all suggested.

It's not the first time someone snapped a Micron nozzle. There was a thread a few years back where Seamonkey had a rant about it. I definitely like the floating nozzle designs on the Eclipse and H&S brushes better. That being said, the Micron has a slightly better response and control, it's a double edged sword I guess.

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it. I have both the micron and infinity and use both quite a bit. The micron is my daily driver for most things. I think it interesting that some find the response time of the Infinity slower than the micron. I've found quite the opposite, but it may all depend on what kind of paint you are throwing, mix, air pressure and so on.

I use the infinity 0.15 for really fine work. The micron in my opinion is a much better all around brush, but for pulling very fine detail without losing paint flow or getting spotting, the Infinity beats it in my hands. Once you open up however and for general casual use, I find that the micron gives me a wider range of control. The infinity opens up too quick if you go a bit bigger, and the lack of something like a MAC valve to control the pressure at the gun mean, that while still good, you don't have quite the control you do with a micron. But for extreme detail and working close to the canvas, I much prefer the H&S Infinity 0.15.

I've wondered about this over the years, as the micron 0.18 is very close. I think the difference ultimately boils down to something about the taper on the needle, and with the same taper on an Iwata needle, I bet they would perform next to identically at the small scale.

I do some very small work on occasion, and having the Infinity around is great, but it is not what I primarily use, because as I said, it opens too fast so you can suddenly find yourself throwing too much paint too rapidly when you go bigger. The Micron is a much smoother transition with more control.

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it. I have both the micron and infinity and use both quite a bit. The micron is my daily driver for most things. I think it interesting that some find the response time of the Infinity slower than the micron. I've found quite the opposite, but it may all depend on what kind of paint you are throwing, mix, air pressure and so on.

I use the infinity 0.15 for really fine work. The micron in my opinion is a much better all around brush, but for pulling very fine detail without losing paint flow or getting spotting, the Infinity beats it in my hands. Once you open up however and for general casual use, I find that the micron gives me a wider range of control. The infinity opens up too quick if you go a bit bigger, and the lack of something like a MAC valve to control the pressure at the gun mean, that while still good, you don't have quite the control you do with a micron. But for extreme detail and working close to the canvas, I much prefer the H&S Infinity 0.15.

I've wondered about this over the years, as the micron 0.18 is very close. I think the difference ultimately boils down to something about the taper on the needle, and with the same taper on an Iwata needle, I bet they would perform next to identically at the small scale.

I wasn´t really active for more than a year, but after I got the nozzle replaced I did collect some experience with the Micron and I think I can well compare them from a hobbyist perspective. For me the Micron works way better when it comes to paintings, especially on fine details. But this is NOT because of the nozzle size, it is the trigger control! I think the 5th or 6th "artwork" in total was my fist with the Micron after some testing. As I bought it specifically for details I tried to get small in scale and did a frog in 9x13cm (3.5x5.1 inches). I was actually pretty pleased with the result, given my little experience I had. It was almost like a photo before I messed it up with the clear coat... But on the other hand I clearly found that the Evo with the bigger nozzle has clear advantages when it comes to larger areas and where trigger control is not everything. I did a couple more pics after that frog and with every single one I ended up doing the fine details with the Micron. I improved with the Evo too, and my abilities to control the trigger got much better so finer details became possible with the Evo too, but my skills equally improved with the Micron, so still there is at least for me a difference of those two guns. I still like both guns and in the last year I used the Evo only. Not for artworks, but just to apply some color here and there on repairs, rc models or similar. It is super robust, easy to clean and can handle basically all paint I tried (with some I had problems with the Micron). So in the end I the expansive Micron is sitting in a drawer waiting for me to find some time again to do some proper airbrushing! ;-)

I do some very small work on occasion, and having the Infinity around is great, but it is not what I primarily use, because as I said, it opens too fast so you can suddenly find yourself throwing too much paint too rapidly when you go bigger. The Micron is a much smoother transition with more control.

This is exactly my experience and what I meant with better at details! The trigger distance from no paint to too much paint is very small compared to the Micron.

I wasn´t really active for more than a year, but after I got the nozzle replaced I did collect some experience with the Micron and I think I can well compare them from a hobbyist perspective. For me the Micron works way better when it comes to paintings, especially on fine details. But this is NOT because of the nozzle size, it is the trigger control! I think the 5th or 6th "artwork" in total was my fist with the Micron after some testing. As I bought it specifically for details I tried to get small in scale and did a frog in 9x13cm (3.5x5.1 inches). I was actually pretty pleased with the result, given my little experience I had. It was almost like a photo before I messed it up with the clear coat... But on the other hand I clearly found that the Evo with the bigger nozzle has clear advantages when it comes to larger areas and where trigger control is not everything. I did a couple more pics after that frog and with every single one I ended up doing the fine details with the Micron. I improved with the Evo too, and my abilities to control the trigger got much better so finer details became possible with the Evo too, but my skills equally improved with the Micron, so still there is at least for me a difference of those two guns. I still like both guns and in the last year I used the Evo only. Not for artworks, but just to apply some color here and there on repairs, rc models or similar. It is super robust, easy to clean and can handle basically all paint I tried (with some I had problems with the Micron). So in the end I the expansive Micron is sitting in a drawer waiting for me to find some time again to do some proper airbrushing! ;-)

This is exactly my experience and what I meant with better at details! The trigger distance from no paint to too much paint is very small compared to the Micron.
At the end is all user preference, as I sent my microns to their cases and learn to use the evo and infinity and Im able to do finer finger movements, but it was less intuitive to use than the microns!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Back