For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Mineral spirits or not????

Discussion in 'Pinstriping' started by Squishy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

So been watching a few vids in anticipation of getting pinstriping stuff for Christmas, and noticed that quite a few people are using mineral oil as a reducer. However on the 1 shot site it says not to use it so I'm a bit confused. Is it that they just want you to buy their reducer, or is there another reason? Also do you have to use 1 shot cleaner or can you use regular thinners or turps or something. Feeling a bit out of my depth, it's like trying to learn to AB again Lol. Lots of vids on techniques, but not the very basic stuff like what to use and why, so all help much appreciated,
  2. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

From all the vids I have watched and things I have read, many use mineral spirits Asa. Thinner and a cleaner. I got a can of odorless mineral spirits. As long as it's the same stuff in the UK. Ours is a paint thinner for oil based paints and other uses. You mentioned mineral oil, you do not want oil, unless you are looking for brush oil. I got brush oil for oil painting brushes, not brand specific stuff, neatsfoot oil I understand is also a popular choice.

I have all the supplies, 1 can of paint, 1 brush( Kafka #3) , thinner/cleaner, and oil. Just hesitant to start still getting my airbrush skills going. You can also go to delta arts and order grid templates much cheaper than the other popular one. Their stencils are pretty good and fairly cheap too , they just take a while to get from Poland to the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. Squishy

Ooops, sorry Wayne, I meant mineral spirits not oil Duh! So it seems the statement from the 1 shot site is possibly to get people to buy their product then, because the more vids I watch, the more people seem to use the mineral spirits. Thanks for the heads up about Delta Art. I have actually used them before, but didn't think about them for a grid stencil, so will look at that :)
  4. farmer

farmer Elite Member! Elite Member!

Hello Squishy,
    The "mineral spirits or not" is an age old debate. I found that I practiced way, way, way more than I ever striped a design for pay or show. Mineral spirits is way less expensive than 1 shot reducer so I use mineral spirits (white spirits in the UK) for practice and 1 shot reducer for paying customers. You can clean with just about any solvent but mineral spirits is easiest on your brushes. After you clean your brush you need to oil it. Here again many stripers use all kinds of oil, including motor oil to oil their brushes. There is however a dedicated brush oil for this purpose. A bottle will last you a long time. The net is a great resource for tips and ideas. The key, like anything else is practice, practice, practice. Check out Pinhead Lounge. You will find examples of beginners work to mind blowing world famous stripers. You can look up some of my amateur work in the stripe-o-dex. Look under Terry Farmer. Have fun with it!
  5. Squishy

Thanks farmer. That answers some questions for me. As I can see long, loooong hours of practice ahead of me, then I'll stick to White Spirits for now. Hadn't heard of Pinhead Lounge either, so thanks for the heads up, found your stuff, n ver impressed. I love, love, love he phoenix!!
  6. uvaspyder

uvaspyder Young Tutorling

Squishy,
    The use of Smooth Stroke, or some other fish eye eliminator added to the One Shot will also aid in how the paint flows from the brush and helps prevent "skipping" on long lines. I got mine from Steve Kafka's web store. I also use mineral spirits, just a touch, to keep the paint thin enough to flow, but not too thin to run. It's a science of getting the paint to a consistency that allows it to flow and dry on the work, and not dry in the brush! Farmer is right about oiling the brushes up after the final cleaning of the day, neatsfoot oil is what I use. Don't forget to clean the oil from the brush BEFORE you start striping again the next day! Palleting the brush for every stroke is another good habit to get into. Hope this helps! Happy striping my friend! Practice makes perfect!
  7. JTairbrush

JTairbrush Gravity Guru

Mineral spirits works fine with One Shot, but I find turpentine actually works much better, but keep in mind if you're working in your house, turpentine really smells bad. For flow enhancement, go to your hardware store and buy a can of Penetrol. Add a small amount to your reducer and this will help your paint flow better. To clean the brushes, you can use mineral spirits, turpentine or lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner works the best, but its does take a toll on the hairs of your brush.
  8. Squishy

Thanks you guys, you're the best! Hadn't hard of Smooth Stroke or Penetrol so def look into that :)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013