Mixing Autoborne sealer from chart

J

Juicegoose

So I'm slowly switching from HOK to the Createx line of paints. What I'm particularly liking is the autoborne sealers and how well they can make a custom sealer color. Over the weekend i pulled out the scale and mixed up some small batches of colors to keep on hand in my PPS cups. Problem I had though was that adhering to the mix chart ratios my colors weren't coming out like the chart.
Take for instance the lime green sealer color. It shows a 9-1 mix ratio of yellow to blue. I mixed it up using my scale and it wasn't near that bright. It was more of a lime green. I tried orange too and it turned out slightly more maroonish.
I know I can adjust it on my own but was just curious how everyone else was doing with the mix chart.

So the obvious answer is that the mix is off but i just found them consistently off from pink, to green, to orange

i'll preface this with 'i've never used that chart' but my first thought was, yes the mix is off and using scales could be the problem, unless its able to weigh single grams then your mix could be way off, especially doing small batches.
some scales measure increments of 10grams ( .35oz) , some do 5gram increments, some more precise will do 1 gram increments. for small batches you'd be better getting either precision scales or using an empty hypodermic needle.

mixing large batches you can be off by 1/3 oz or so without to much drama but small batches you will see issues.

Is measuring by weight the problem? Is it possible that 100 drops of yellow doesn't way the same as 100 drops of blue?

Or maybe they are using a theoretical mix ratio some computer program tells them will work.

Back