Need airbrush advice, overwhelmed!

John742

Double Actioner
I need your guys help on selecting an airbrush, these masters are..and I say this VERY lightly "ok" at best for playing around and shooting stencils.

I'm trying to get into automotive graphics and dabble a little in pc cases, Xbox, and ps3/4 amungst other things.

SO, I've been looking around and seen Chicago airbrush supply has the badger patriot 105 on sale for $59. However, I was actually looking at the iwata hp cs. Then there's lots of talk about the passche talon.. I just don't know which way to lean.

I definitely would like something with self centering needle. Really good line control and paint flow. Needs to be able to do fine lines to about 2 to 3 inches would suffice.
Mac valve would be a plus but I don't necessarily need one.

Any suggestions on a really good brush that won't break the bank, that's great for auto graphics that meets my needs? I'm just overwhelmed with the options out there. I'm still a beginner but want to learn with a more professional brush. Just not looking to pay $500 lol more around $175 at most.

I can really recommend the Iwata hp-cs. I use it for auto work, and its basically a great all rounder. Fine line to 2 inch, areally versatile and reliable brush. A lot of airbrush for the money. I have a micron now, but use it in conjunction with my cs, wouldn't be without one.

I hear a lot of good things about the eclipse CS, a lot of pro's have them as a "go to workhorse all rounder" and like Squishy they still use them after they've bought more high end brushes. I jumped to the Iwata HP-B+ after my 'masters' style brushes and it was an eye opener !

Don't worry about Mac valves on the brush, just buy a 'GREX quick disconnect Mac valve " it sits at the end of your air line which benefits any brush you put on there. I bought a couple of Iwata brand Mac valves (not quick disconnect) and they were rubbish compared to the GREX.

Another good brush is the Badger krome in your price range,I own both and use them about the same My krome has a finer needle/nozzle so it works a little better for really fine lines,but the HP-CS Will pull almost as good of line as the krome? I Don't think you could go wrong with any of the name brands just buy the better end brush's in your price range,And as JackEb said get a mac valve that go's on the hose as you can then use it with any brush!

I love my hp cs, but that patriot at 59.00 is a steal. Its also a pretty darn good all arounder. Very capable brush. If you were to buy either you wont be losing.

Hmm.. definitely going to just get an in line mac valve, makes more sense and don't know why I didn't think about that.

So with your guys input I think I'm more interested in iwata eclipse hp cs now. BUT now basepaint had to go ruin that and put a battle between that and the badger krome lol
Do your guys think the iwata eclipse hp cs will do pretty good for fine lines for a while at least until I get into smaller high detailed pieces?

Either way I'm sure it will beyond out perform this masters junk.

As a matter of fact, i am very very tempted to buy a patriot for that price. I have an anthem, it is a very nice brush.

Hmm.. definitely going to just get an in line mac valve, makes more sense and don't know why I didn't think about that.

So with your guys input I think I'm more interested in iwata eclipse hp cs now. BUT now basepaint had to go ruin that and put a battle between that and the badger krome lol
Do your guys think the iwata eclipse hp cs will do pretty good for fine lines for a while at least until I get into smaller high detailed pieces?

Either way I'm sure it will beyond out perform this masters junk.
For what it is worth, I use my CS. My Krome sits in a box, while it is a very nice brush.. my cs is easier to clean. My Avatar was done with a hp cs. It is a total size of 5x7. And my avatar is cropped.

I've got both brushes, love them both, but the HPCS is easier to use, and will do fine line work.

The HP-CS is an excellent choice. It has a .35 needle/nozzle, great for small detail but also excellent for blends and larger areas

Im actually thinking of down grading,due to personal issues with a cm-sb, and im seriously considering the eclipse sb.

Im actually thinking of down grading,due to personal issues with a cm-sb, and im seriously considering the eclipse sb.
The Eclipse SB is awesome. Shorter than the CS and if you need bigger volume paint you can get the bottles that fit in the side.

How careful / clumsy are you ? I ask, not to offend, because the Badger Patriot is a good brush and you like the price. Now, physically when the Patriot nose cap is removed for spraying the needle projects enough to get in harms way if you hit some thing hard in your work area. Badger also offers optional needle /tip combos for the Patriot if you want more paint to flow. The Iwata Eclipse is more guarded in the needle zone, also gets my vote. Cheers Eh!

How careful / clumsy are you ? I ask, not to offend, because the Badger Patriot is a good brush and you like the price. Now, physically when the Patriot nose cap is removed for spraying the needle projects enough to get in harms way if you hit some thing hard in your work area. Badger also offers optional needle /tip combos for the Patriot if you want more paint to flow. The Iwata Eclipse is more guarded in the needle zone, also gets my vote. Cheers Eh!

For the most part I'm pretty careful, yet to actually bend a needle. (knock on wood) Not saying I don't have them type of days however, lol so it is a likely event.
I'm working on getting an iwata eclipse hp-cs now, then I just figured I'll start collecting new brushes until I get them all. Why not try them all out and see what I like the best for what I'm trying to do right? Then just sell off any ones I decide I won't use.
I really appreciate all your guys input on this helped me alot! At least I made up my mind on which brush to grab first.

For the most part I'm pretty careful, yet to actually bend a needle. (knock on wood) Not saying I don't have them type of days however, lol so it is a likely event.
I'm working on getting an iwata eclipse hp-cs now, then I just figured I'll start collecting new brushes until I get them all. Why not try them all out and see what I like the best for what I'm trying to do right? Then just sell off any ones I decide I won't use.
I really appreciate all your guys input on this helped me alot! At least I made up my mind on which brush to grab first.
I have another suggestion and others may know of this fellow, Don Wheeler. He has a web site https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home
He collects and scrutinizes air brushes, tests them and gives an unbiased opinion about them. Very informative. Cheers Eh!

I'm new to all this, but I've been using aTalon to put down drop shadows and such for a couple years. When I tried doing any degree of detail it was nothing but problems. I've spent two weeks on it trying different reductions and pressures with about the same results each time. Even bought another new Talon thinking my older one was the issue. New one was no better. I bought an Eclipse CS tonight. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

You mentioned the Master. One of my employees saw me airbrushing a few days ago and gave me an S58 bottom feed. Said he couldn't get the hang of it. The master actually did better than the Talon. Not a real good detail brush but way more consistent than the Talon.

One of the ladies on here has a Talon she wouldn't use as a lawn dart, It's hard to understand looks like a great brush and made by Paassche? It's crazy they are still selling them.

i use a krome and sotar both from badger. like wise any of the brands you mentioned are good. i would just stay away from unbranded chinese cheapy stuff. i have 6 if them sat in draws from when i was first starting out took me ages to realise what brands were what. remember needles and nossles need replacing a lot. so look at the cost and availability of getting hold of the parts you will need to replace. in the uk it takes about 5 days to have an order delivered from the one badger supplier here. :/

Back