Need assistance picking a proper brush.

E

Exist2Resist

Right now I have a Paasche V-set brush, and it can't keep up with what I want to do.
I'm looking at a dual action, gravity feed brush, I want something that can handle both solvent and water based paints.
I'm not sure if this is possible, but perhaps something that can do both fine work and larger pieces as well.
What would you suggest?

Iwata hp-cs is considered a good choice for an alrounder,will take you a long way along your journey.

Iwata hp-cs is considered a good choice for an alrounder,will take you a long way along your journey.
Yeah I was looking at the poll at the top of the page and it seems that the Iwata hp-cs is a popular brush.
Thanks.

HP-CS is a boss. Built like a tank, easy to use, easy to clean, and surprisingly versatile. The HP-CS is what got me back into airbrushing after years of having similar experiences with my Paasche VL as you're having with your V. The only thing I'd do differently in hindsight would be to get an SBS instead of a CS (my side-feed SOTAR has made a side-feed convert out of me), but since you already have a side feed in the V and are looking for a gravity, I assume you already feel side feed hasn't worked out for your preference.

HP-CS is a boss. Built like a tank, easy to use, easy to clean, and surprisingly versatile. The HP-CS is what got me back into airbrushing after years of having similar experiences with my Paasche VL as you're having with your V. The only thing I'd do differently in hindsight would be to get an SBS instead of a CS (my side-feed SOTAR has made a side-feed convert out of me), but since you already have a side feed in the V and are looking for a gravity, I assume you already feel side feed hasn't worked out for your preference.

Thanks for the advice. Glad to hear the HP-CS is a work horse. I might look into the SBS but I have a feeling that, it'll be hard to find, and that the cost will be astronomical. The reason I got the Paasche V is because it was at the right price point and a side feed to me was kind of the best of both worlds, but I guess having more than one brush is not a bad thing.

Each type of brush has it's own advantages, but you also need to be aware of the disadvantages as well.
Some suit different styles better than others, and a lot depends on the material you're painting on, as well.
Gravity feeds, for instance, have the advantage of being capable of holding larger capacities of paint - therefore, they suit large size work.
The downside - you need more air pressure to compensate for the air required to pressurise the container.
You need to decide what sort of works you want to do, then find the airbrush that'll do it.
If you're like me, you'll end up with a few of them before long.
We all have our fav brushes for certain elements of our works, so we become user/collectors of sorts.
But remember, WE ARE NOT ADDICTED! JUST NEED MORE AIRBRUSHES!lollollol:thumbsup:

Hi Exist2Resist you might want to check out my store I'm in Edmonton it's one day shipping to Calgary if you have any questions just give me a call or e-mail :)

Donna

Hi Exist2Resist you might want to check out my store I'm in Edmonton it's one day shipping to Calgary if you have any questions just give me a call or e-mail :)

Donna
Cool, will do.

Whats your budget ;) Helps to know what your got to spend :)
Honestly, I don't really have one. If I'd have to set one I'd say $300+, it really depends if the brush is what I'm looking for. I'm not hesitant paying more for quality, but don't get me wrong I don't mind paying less for something good.

Cool, will do.

Honestly, I don't really have one. If I'd have to set one I'd say $300+, it really depends if the brush is what I'm looking for. I'm not hesitant paying more for quality, but don't get me wrong I don't mind paying less for something good.

I have the HP-CS and The HP-SBS that fall well below $300.00 ;)

I now have three Iwata HP brushes two CS and one SBS. You won't regret buying one. You didn't mention what you intend to paint. I love the top feed brush for its ease to change colors and use it for a lot of illustration work. The side feed brush works just as well as the top feed brush, its a bit more versatile in that you can get a top feed cup, side feed cup and bottom feed bottles. Needless to say, its not as friendly as the CS when changing colors, although not much more difficult. If you plan to paint t-shirts, its nice to have the bottom feed bottles that hold more paint. So, really, its just preference and what you intend to do. Hope the info help. :)

Well basic rule of thumb is if your going to go big, perhaps auto work by the sounds, you will want two guns and if in budget I would suggest....

1- Anthem 155-Siphon feed and will handle all your big space work much better than any gravity..
2-Any siphon feed detail gun maybe a Krome if lower costs are desired or equivelent or perhaps a micron of some type if you can afford more..

That way you'll have the best of both worlds and good deals can be found but will still likel be $500 + to have a decent type of both styles..Most top brand guns will handle solvents but always best to check...Good luck..

Dont forget spares for each gun into the equation aswell...thats where the costs can add up and aint hard to bend a detail needle..

If you're unsure, a check of the washer / seal assemblies will tell what you can put through it.
If they're rubber or other, then ordinary acrylic paint is about it.
If they're teflon, they'll throw anything you put in it, without fear of leaks, etc, giving you any grief.

Well basic rule of thumb is if your going to go big, perhaps auto work by the sounds, you will want two guns and if in budget I would suggest....

1- Anthem 155-Siphon feed and will handle all your big space work much better than any gravity..
2-Any siphon feed detail gun maybe a Krome if lower costs are desired or equivelent or perhaps a micron of some type if you can afford more..

That way you'll have the best of both worlds and good deals can be found but will still likel be $500 + to have a decent type of both styles..Most top brand guns will handle solvents but always best to check...Good luck..

Dont forget spares for each gun into the equation aswell...thats where the costs can add up and aint hard to bend a detail needle..

Thank you for the excellent advice on the hardware....
...also get out of my MIND!!! Auto work is exactly what I want it for, and when I say auto work I mean I just bought a new car last February 2015 and it got dinged with hail and rocks. I tried to fix it with a kit but the application method, cheap brush attached to the cap of the container, was less than stellar at blending and the only thing that I could think of that would apply the tri-coat paint to the vehicle was the art of an airbrush. Also I've always wanted one , ever since art school back in the day airbrushing always intrigued me. Yes i could have paid someone $400 to fix the paint on my car, but isn't a DIY solution so much more satisfying, and getting back into painting... that's paramount to me.
As for what comes after the vehicle, I want to do some painting of scenery, animals, people if I get good enough. I come from an artist background, I used to sculpt, paint portraits with acrylics using paint brushes. What I'm saying is that I'm versatile, and also the thought of repainting the top sheet of my snowboard had crossed my mind, obviously this all comes after I fix the paint job on my car. Mind you it has been about 10 years since I have been serious about art but no time like the present.

I hear you on the parts and equipment cost, and I've already blown my budget by hundreds of dollars, and I know in the next year I'll be spending so much more $ on this. Initially I set aside $500 for this hobby, but over the last few months it has turned into double that. I'm buying a second brush and I haven't ever perfected the craft, I know with my initial purchase the brush I bought is not what I need, hence why I'm here talking to you folks :thumbsup: But I'm ok with getting the extra equipment, the joy I get from creating something is just like nothing else.

LOL...But seriously I do a fair bit of auto work and two guns is a must + a HVLP Touch up Spray gun if you want to get serious and clear also (it is a grand setup to make life easy bt it will make life easy, dont rely on a gravity feed only for auto, it will hurt your back refilling it all the time LOL..you can get away with one but it really is better and you will get better quality work faster with specific guns..Anthem is a workhorse and will eat up larger spaces with good coverage, and can do fine detail if you want so is a better all round gun than any..IMHO but I do like Badger :)..Don't go for a bit of everything brush as they can do a bit of everything and neither as well as a specific orientated airbrush..best of luck and hope to see a finished auto soon..Sucks to hear on the hail damage, just got mine started today after a 12 month warranty issue and now the mrs wants it painted pink..OMG..LOL I will have to settle her down but shes excited to have her car back :)

She wants it pink so I'm guessing you'll be painting it pink unless you've got a death wish !

Back