Need Help picking Airbrush

C

Cminion

Hello everyone :)

I recently went to nada and got to see his hp-cs, and also read a lot on forums about people recommending it. It had great reviews and stuff so started to look at it. I have before but just noticed there was a few different kinds. I wanted to get input on what to get. To start out let me list what i have. I already have a good compressor that works fine after me and nada figured out that it was basically something stupid on my end lol. I have a Sparmax 35 max, have the water trap so can adjust pressure there ( because my compressor goes to like 260 on adjuster so hell to get just at 20 or 25 ). I have the badger Quick disconnect

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EGZB2Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

One thing i was worried about and I'm worried about is if i get just the connector part that goes on airbrush would it work on a Iwata hp cs ? I only ask because looking at a lot of websites I've seen iwata converter and etc so i want to make sure i get the right stuff. What my question is next is basicly after looking at the airbrushes i wanted input on which one to get. I will link all from amazon and one from hobby lobby but will explain why.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Eclipse-Action-Airbrush-Gravity/dp/B000BQKFAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450245369&sr=8-1&keywords=iwata airbrush

HP-CS Eclipse Airbrush Kit ( from hobby Lobby )
( the reason i put this one in is there is a 40% coupon you can use on one item, one time a day. I read the restriction and i belive the airbrush falls under the coupon. That brings the airbrush from 209$ to 120$ and not sure if that is best deal but seems to be. )

http://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?text=hp cs&quickview=848

Iwata-Medea High Performance Plus C

( This one i do not know the differnce between the CS, and i do not know if should go with this or CS)

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Performance-Action-Large-Gravity/dp/B0018A7QJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450245369&sr=8-2&keywords=iwata airbrush

Airbrush HP-CS (japan import)

( do not know differnce between HP-CS and eclipse version. Did a little reading and someone said bigger cup but same, but this one looks like as big a cup on the eclipse. )

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Campbell-HP-CS-Airbrush-import/dp/B0068XOBFS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1450245848&sr=8-9&keywords=iwata airbrush cs

I could go for side feed but everyone has said from what i read the HP-CS is a must have. I like doing all kinds of art ( i mean learning lol ). One day i hope to do anything from semi realistic ( without super amazing detail ). I hope to do black and white portraits for now but hope in time to do color. I want to learn to do flames, metal with rivets, anime, Dragons, Dinosaurs, and so much more. I hope this gives you all basic info on what im looking for and gonna do with it. Ty for any information i really appreciate it.

P.S. I am looking to do mostly free hand but i saw doing rivets and some texutres best with stencil. I have tried cutting my own but curves and circles seem to be miss match. I hope to get the silhouette Cameo, but i was thinking of getting one or two stencils from amazon, chicago airbrush, or somewhere else. I want one that can be used to make rivets, free hand flames, and any other good freehand ones.

Hi,first off the Cameo is a great little machine and will do all your stencils and lettering.Second,all of the brushes you mention are great but do you need one with such a big cup?,the HP-SBS is another fantastic work horse and so are the HP-BH range.Sorry to cause confusion but most of us end up buying more than one AB.until we land at the Micron:D

The sparmax has the same thread as iwata.

I personally highly recomend the hp cs as you already know.
I do not recomend the high performance brush. Mainly because of the screw in nozzle (like you have) and performance which will not outshine what you have.

You know i have the side feed as well you can try it out anytime.

Hobby lobby is where i bought mine. It was as good as anywhere normal online. But i would have bought from Jerry's if they had in stock at the time

Last i checked Jerrys had one on the shelf tagged down to 97 bucks i will make sure.
The one on amazon is exactly the same as the one at anywhere else. But buying local is something i like to do when possible 40 buck saving sure id order off amazon.. 10 bucks id rather put it in my hand that day.

Can't go wrong with an Iwata Eclipse CS . It is a work horse of an airbrush.
Hobby Lobby has a 40% off anything in the store coupon that will bring down the price of the kit .
But If Nada is willing to let you try his airbrushes than go for it . That way you can get a feel for if you like the side feed , gravity feed or bottom feed.
A lot of folks on here love side feeds I am not one of them.

All are very decent airbrushes (rule of thumb would be that you can't go wrong with an iwata). If you want a highend detail brush (as you indicated you want to go towards realism and portraits) which is in about the same price range I'd also consider the H&S infinity 0,15.

If you are pretty sure you are going to continue with this hobby I'd also consider postphoning buying a new brush and save up for a micron. If you get into serious detail work you'll probably end up getting one of those in the end anyway. This prevents you from ending up with (as most of us here) a collection of a gazillion airbrushes when in the end you'll only use 2 or 3 of them :p

Ty all for your input. I got to try your hp cs just a few strokes nada when i came up but my neck was killing me so much i could not do much in front of ya. I would prefer to buy local if only 10$ difference to, so just let me know price at jerrys and if in stock. I want to go towards like what nada and me where talking about when i went over to his house. I want to be half way between like cartoon and realistic i think. I don't want to spend 20 hours on one painting to get super amazing realism but i want to put enough into it so the eyes see it as realistic if that makes sense. I would love a cameo but will be a good while before i can buy one :p maybe nada will let me buy Mylar and print one or two stencils from his :p lol.

Nada has been amazing and showed me a lot last weekend when i came up. I had a great time except for ride home. I saw his side feed but did not try it. How do you like your side feed nada? have you tried it much? When i finally get my disability i plan on getting a micron, so far i love airbrushing and finally let me express my artistic side. I never could find anything i liked a lot doing and stooped after a month or two. This one i watched videos for almost 2 months strait and been airbrushing for 2 months. Anyways back to the subject i do enjoy my sparmax.

Also does anyone know if i just buy the part that screws onto the airbrush made by badger would it work on a iwata? because that's the quick disconnect i got for other airbrush and would like to be able to just unplug one and plug other one in so i can have them both with different paints. Mostly because changing from white to any color is a bitch of a clean especially if you have to go back and use more white.

Ty all for your input. I got to try your hp cs just a few strokes nada when i came up but my neck was killing me so much i could not do much in front of ya. I would prefer to buy local if only 10$ difference to, so just let me know price at jerrys and if in stock. I want to go towards like what nada and me where talking about when i went over to his house. I want to be half way between like cartoon and realistic i think. I don't want to spend 20 hours on one painting to get super amazing realism but i want to put enough into it so the eyes see it as realistic if that makes sense. I would love a cameo but will be a good while before i can buy one :p maybe nada will let me buy Mylar and print one or two stencils from his :p lol.

Nada has been amazing and showed me a lot last weekend when i came up. I had a great time except for ride home. I saw his side feed but did not try it. How do you like your side feed nada? have you tried it much? When i finally get my disability i plan on getting a micron, so far i love airbrushing and finally let me express my artistic side. I never could find anything i liked a lot doing and stooped after a month or two. This one i watched videos for almost 2 months strait and been airbrushing for 2 months. Anyways back to the subject i do enjoy my sparmax.

Also does anyone know if i just buy the part that screws onto the airbrush made by badger would it work on a iwata? because that's the quick disconnect i got for other airbrush and would like to be able to just unplug one and plug other one in so i can have them both with different paints. Mostly because changing from white to any color is a bitch of a clean especially if you have to go back and use more white.

If you had a side feed iwata you can buy aztec cups fairly cheap and changing colours is a piece of cake, as many colours as you have cups changed in seconds;):thumbsup:

If you had a side feed iwata you can buy aztec cups fairly cheap and changing colours is a piece of cake, as many colours as you have cups changed in seconds;):thumbsup:

One thing i like about the idea of side feed is there is not that huge cup on top blocking your view sometimes. I was not planing on buying a airbrush anytime soon but my mom wanted to buy me Christmas gift and i told her not to, since i am broke till i get my disability ( fighting for 3 years , stupid government takes forever ). Anyways don't mean to bring that up but just so understand financial situation. She has never been able to buy anything for me since i was 12, since i got into computers and stuff. I have ordered or picked up my Christmas gift since i was 12 lol. My mom is a great person and since the last 2 years been so hard on us all she wants to help.

Maybe can see nada soon and can try his side feed if he is up for it :p

Just go for the micron sb:thumbsup: if your serious you'll end up there anyway as Haasje has said,and like Malky mentioned you can get extra,cheaper, pots for colour changes. I have the micron sb and a sb plus and as far as I'm concerned that's me pretty much covered for everything, apart from spraying large areas quickly. I have 12 little pots to use for diff colours if needed.

One thing i like about the idea of side feed is there is not that huge cup on top blocking your view sometimes. I was not planing on buying a airbrush anytime soon but my mom wanted to buy me Christmas gift and i told her not to, since i am broke till i get my disability ( fighting for 3 years , stupid government takes forever ). Anyways don't mean to bring that up but just so understand financial situation. She has never been able to buy anything for me since i was 12, since i got into computers and stuff. I have ordered or picked up my Christmas gift since i was 12 lol. My mom is a great person and since the last 2 years been so hard on us all she wants to help.

Maybe can see nada soon and can try his side feed if he is up for it :p

I feel for you Justin in waiting on disability. I just had my hearing last week after almost 3 years and the judge I got only approves 28% of her cases so it doesn't look good:( I have the CS and it works well, better than I can do with my hands.

I feel for you Justin in waiting on disability. I just had my hearing last week after almost 3 years and the judge I got only approves 28% of her cases so it doesn't look good:( I have the CS and it works well, better than I can do with my hands.

Yea i had a judge like that , she turned me down because i finished high school and had one job for 4 years... really.. and that job i had was off and on but my best friends mom owned the place. She even said i would have been fired less then 6 months in if i was not like family. I have several mental issues ( not crazy though lol ) , and some back and neck issues. I am in federal cort now and my lawyers said i basically keep getting screwed over the system, that mine was the strongest case they have had in 10 years. The school and work thing are technically illegal to turn me down for, and i had to wait a year and half for appeals cort to say no. Lawyers said it did not seem like they did not even read it so now i have to wait up to another year.. I know people who have lied and got it under a year yet i tried for 10 years to work, and every time the same thing. Not to scare anyone just after 6 - 8 months i would crash and have mental break down and become suicidal even having a few attempts but my friends and family saved me. My parents had all harmful things with locks on them when i was in high school and older. Ever since i stopped working i have almost never been sucidal again. It was learned because i have alot of metal conditions combined is why i cant handle the stress, or being around people much. Sorry for long paragraph but yea that is short version of my story lol. Sorry to go off subject in my own thread.

Fyi good luck and i hope it goes well for your fight, the fight sucks though.

Back on subject anyone know if that quick release would work on my airbrush? are all airbrushes the 1/8 connector? or whatever size it is i can't remember lol.

Before i forget, let me put this out there for side feeds. I am left handed if that matters at all.

So pros and cons for me is,

Gravity feed from reading and using seems you can use very low pressure all the way down to 20psi i have used on comarts. Side feed is it gravity feed or considered siphon? I have one gravity feed and atm i am working on just black and white stuff so use two paints so can use both AB for that but at the same time side cup i can just switch cups as one said. The eclipse hp cs seems to be cheaper to ( later down the line i can afford better i am sure but for now i have like max i would say is 150$ to spend ). Anyways I hope that helps understand situation better to. Sorry for all the responds to my own thread just trying to get as much info as i can , because really enjoying Airbrushing.

You can use a lot lower pressure if your reductions are right, i think i remember someone quoting 5psi as a trial but 10-15 is quite norm for some.

You can use a lot lower pressure if your reductions are right, i think i remember someone quoting 5psi as a trial but 10-15 is quite norm for some.

Simply dial down until there signs of splatter and then slightly up, with the mac valve I don't have clue what the pressure is so that's what I do to get down real low.

My side f3ed sprays fine, but until I get some larger cups for it im limited in not being able to backflush it.
Ive been down to 15 psi on the side feed already.

As for just get a micron, I would heavily disagree. The eclipse is used way more than my micron. As you know everything on that dino was done with the cs. I wont use the micron til I go in at the end. I did however comfortably paint that vinyl record all with my micron.
I could not imagine using my micron for a car mural, it just would take a long long time!

Not wanting to sound harsh Smiler, but Justin did say he is disabled without any income in order to be able to buy a micron:( And in the US, even if he does get SSDI he isn't going to get very much as he only worked a few years.

Iwata and Badger use different size hose fittings, so the Badger quick disconnect won't screw onto either an Iwata brush or an Iwata hose without adapters.

The "male" and "female" parts of the connector itself are standardized, however, so you can use an Iwata male connector to plug into a Badger female connector and vice versa. So instead of buying an adapter to attach the male Badger connector to the Iwata airbrush, you can just buy a male Iwata connector and avoid the excess fittings.

For the same reason, it's best to match the female connector to your hose brand. You want to buy/pick out the hose you want first, then buy the connector to match. If you already have a Badger hose you're fine. Otherwise I'd say return the connector if you can, and hold off on re-buying one until you've settled on a hose.

Using a hose which matches your brush's fittings will save you money, as you won't need to buy an extra male connector or any adapters for your quick-connect set. Grex, Tamiya, and Master all use Iwata-compatible fittings. In fact I'm pretty sure the Tamiya hoses are just rebadged Iwata hoses. Personally, I'm a fan of the Iwata polyurethane hoses. They are extremely lightweight and supple, and probably the closest you can get to the feel of working without a hose at all. I started out with a braided hose, and I'll never go back to those again.

But also try the brush without a quick connect first to see if you prefer that (or are merely fine with it). The quick connector adds a lot of length to the rigid stalk hanging below the brush. Some people like this, as it adds a bit of pseudo-pistol grip, but others (like myself) feel it gets in the way. I started out using quick connects on everything basically because it seemed like all the cool kids were doing it. Turned out as I practiced more, I found I really wanted/favored light, pen-like operation rather than (what seems to me) chunky gun-like operation, so I now just use lightweight hoses screwed directly to the brush, and all my quick connectors and MAC valves and such have become junk drawer food. TBH there isn't really much difference in speed/efficiency between quick connect and screw connect, and if you're only using one brush it's completely irrelevant anyway, so IMO there's kinda no real point to them unless you want that pistol grip effect.

Back