Need your opinion...

Dimitris

Mac-Valve Maestro!
about the following issue:
got one artwork to do on a wooden table and the customer brought me the image which he got from google. But it was obvious that the artwork was created by another airbrush painter. What do we do in these situations?

about the following issue:
got one artwork to do on a wooden table and the customer brought me the image which he got from google. But it was obvious that the artwork was created by another airbrush painter. What do we do in these situations?

Just don't do it, or create something similar, tell the dude it's illegal and rude to copy someone else's work and tell him you would prefer not to do that but would happily work with him to create something with a similar theme.

You could try to contact the artist and ask permission to recreate it but I doubt they would agree without a price.

Last edited:
Infographic_Can_IUse_That_Picture4.jpg

click on it to get bigger picture.

We could open thread about copyrights and why should be or not to be a difference between art from airbrush artist or art from photographer, but I ain't going in to that water. :)

edit: direct link if picture is to small:
https://s31.postimg.cc/anpbwodp7/Infographic_Can_IUse_That_Picture4.jpg

Infographic_Can_IUse_That_Picture4.jpg

click on it to get bigger picture.

We could open thread about copyrights and why should be or not to be a difference between art from airbrush artist or art from photographer, but I ain't going in to that water. :)

edit: direct link if picture is to small:
https://s31.postimg.cc/anpbwodp7/Infographic_Can_IUse_That_Picture4.jpg

As I understand it he has a picture of a piece of art from another airbrush artist and not a photo, definitely cannot use that without the other artist's permission.

The copyright thread has been done several times already:)

As I understand it he has a picture of a piece of art from another airbrush artist and not a photo, definitely cannot use that without the other artist's permission.

The copyright thread has been done several times already:)

I need to check them out :) I bet there were sparks all over the threads :D

thought so guys... I'll talk to him tomorrow, although I did warn him that it's probably not going to happen...

Knock something together for him on photo shop or something that has similar design, as long it's not to close to the other artist's work.

I'll try to persuade him for changes but it's a particular design, maybe you've seen it... It's a girl blowing that bubble maker (idk what it's called) and the bubbles turn into the planets of our solar system... He's stuck with that image, noticed it from the start we talked about it..

I'll try to persuade him for changes but it's a particular design, maybe you've seen it... It's a girl blowing that bubble maker (idk what it's called) and the bubbles turn into the planets of our solar system... He's stuck with that image, noticed it from the start we talked about it..

If the table is going stay in his house and no profit is being made from it I doubt it would be a problem, if he was going have the table mass produced with intention of getting rich i coukd see the problem, why not just do it and make sure original artist's name appears on it.

Another option might be for him to buy an official print of the work and set it on the table under glass.

In curious which one you're talking about, I found about 9 different girl blowing bubbles into planets pictures.

Tend to try really hard not to rip of other airbrush artists work and designs as I hate it when its done to me, personally I'd suggest saying no and paint something new or seeing if you can find the artist and ask for permission to use the image, for me its not about how many people will see it, its knowing essentially its not your work and for me its hard to be as proud of y art if someone else did it :). Practice art is one thing but on commissions, keep it new.

Mm, well that one appears to be someone's version of this one
Which as far as I can tell is the actual source.
http://john-doe.co/miss-universe-screen-prints

So id say you could skip asking that airbrush artists permission.
Since it isn't theirs.
They certainly didn't change it enough to make it new.
I guess John Doe would be the one to ask if you can colorized version of his piece.

More then 80% of work on this forum is in copyright violation. I am betting one nice big cold Guiness in the hot day for this statement :) If not even more. So we understand each other, I don't care about this, I have my own problems to worry about. But... lets be honest. Derivatives works without permission is copyright violation. Not to mention, that the most works here is almost the same like on actual pictures. Public domain pictures are exception off course.

quote from the link:
It seems that all too often artists who would scream if someone copied their paintings, don’t hesitate to make a painting of someone else’s photo, with no thought to the creator’s rights.
link:
https://www.thoughtco.com/may-i-make-a-painting-of-a-photograph-2573673

quote from link:
What Are the Rights of a Copyright Owner?
Copyright provides the owner of copyright with the exclusive right to
•Reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords
•Prepare derivative works based upon the work
•Distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of owner
-ship or by rental, lease, or lending
•Perform the work publicly if it is a literary, musical, dramatic, or choreographic work; a panto-
mime; or a motion picture or other audiovisual work
•Display the work publicly if it is a literary, musical, dramatic, or choreographic work; a pan-
tomime; or a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work. This right also applies to the individual
images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work.
•Perform the work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission if the work is a sound
recording
Copyright also provides the owner of copyright the right to authorize others to exercise these
exclusive rights, subject to certain statutory limitation

link:
https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

IMHO, all of us know what's the time, the right question would be, if we look at the clock when we know that time will not suit us.

If I am mistaken with my statements, I do apologize and I am willing to learn so I will not make the same mistake again off course.

I am out of this thread. Usually people start fighting when there is a talk about copyrights. One more thing. I love that picture Dimitris :)

More then 80% of work on this forum is in copyright violation. I am betting one nice big cold Guiness in the hot day for this statement :) If not even more. So we understand each other, I don't care about this, I have my own problems to worry about. But... lets be honest. Derivatives works without permission is copyright violation. Not to mention, that the most works here is almost the same like on actual pictures. Public domain pictures are exception off course.

quote from the link:
It seems that all too often artists who would scream if someone copied their paintings, don’t hesitate to make a painting of someone else’s photo, with no thought to the creator’s rights.
link:

quote from link:
What Are the Rights of a Copyright Owner?
Copyright provides the owner of copyright with the exclusive right to
•Reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords
•Prepare derivative works based upon the work
•Distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by sale or other transfer of owner
-ship or by rental, lease, or lending
•Perform the work publicly if it is a literary, musical, dramatic, or choreographic work; a panto-
mime; or a motion picture or other audiovisual work
•Display the work publicly if it is a literary, musical, dramatic, or choreographic work; a pan-
tomime; or a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work. This right also applies to the individual
images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work.
•Perform the work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission if the work is a sound
recording
Copyright also provides the owner of copyright the right to authorize others to exercise these
exclusive rights, subject to certain statutory limitation

link:
https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

IMHO, all of us know what's the time, the right question would be, if we look at the clock when we know that time will not suit us.

If I am mistaken with my statements, I do apologize and I am willing to learn so I will not make the same mistake again off course.

I am out of this thread. Usually people start fighting when there is a talk about copyrights. One more thing. I love that picture Dimitris :)

Yeah, me too... that's why I'm still thinking of making it...Made enough changes already but still reminds me of the original artwork @Robbyrockett2 posted... Plus I'm not the kind of person that will fight or get nervous, especially in a forum. I got no problem creating my own design, but that's what he found... I talked to him earlier and told him about the consequences of producing someone else designs, but he insisted on it... By the way, great info, thanks!

Legal or not I tend to just Golden rule it.
I know personally if it would be impractical for me to do the work, then Id be happy for someone to use my design. Free advertising.
numerous reproductions id expect some kickback.
If it doesnt compete with my ability to earn from it then it only adds to it.

In this case personally, Id probably do it. If I shared a pic somewhere id just mention it was based on an original work by john-doe.
Since I highly doubt John-doe would want to come to Greece to paint a table. This thread, the table, any pictures of the finished product, they all just add value to the 150 limited screen prints and 25 limited colored ones. As well as adding value to the rest of his works through exposure. As long hes being mentioned.
If you were doing a screen print or something similar in size or that could be mistaken for the original then id say no, too close to a forgery of the limited pieces

EG; If lets just say @RichardH (who im picking on just because hes close by) wanted to use a design of mine on a bathroom sink (lol) and he was getting paid to do it. Id just be flattered. Theres no way im going to the other side of the state to paint a bathroom sink.
If he were using it to submit a proposal for some public art project in Raleigh, well then id be rather upset as It would be taking something from me, competing against me with my own design.

Tattoo artists use copyrighted characters all the time but nobody cares, probably because each instance is a single personal use piece and the tattoos dont compete with any product the owners produce.

Just my opinion and how i personally would like to be treated.

In any case it certainly cant hurt to ask. Just explain where you are, what the project will be, that it will be just the one table, that youll be happy to give a link and tell people it was based on the original. All the details.

Oh one of those cheese artworks :-D well i wouldnt do it for sure because i just dont like this particular “style”.
On the other hand if he doesnt pay for it..i dont see a problem. We all paint (copy) other people artworks, photos etc... thats how we practice. And if he wants to keep it at home then why not. Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back