Needing a detail brush

D

dan

It's been a long while since I've posted here! I am truly sorry for that,life and forums sometimes don't mix..lol. I am currently using my trusty Iwata high line hp-ch (.3mm) for everything,but feel I need a good detail brush! I have been looking at 2,mainly the mojo 3 and the H&S infinity! Pros and cons on both of these would help me out greatly!

Thanks,
Dan

Both are great detail brushes.
The Mojo III is a bit more finicky when it comes to getting the air cap adjusted for great paint flow. Once you get the hang of it, its no big deal. The trigger is super responsive and easy to control.
The Infinity is capable of great detail, but some don't like the trigger response on it. There is a very slight delay in response to get the paint flowing, this can also be overcome to give somewhat immediate response. I would edge out trigger control to the Mojo though.

Overall, you can't really go wrong with either one.
Any particular things you are looking for? Have you eliminated the Iwata Micron due to price?

Don't know those brushes but another option is an anthem or patriot (Both Badger) with a fine line conversion kit (Separate purchase), pretty cheap and good results..Best of luck

Yeah the Micron is mainly a cost thing. I can afford to get the brush, but then have to upgrade to the .18mm (because I like the larger cups,feels more balanced to me) and also worry about the price of matched heads down the road when money may be tighter.

Don't worry too much about matched heads. Ask the people who have to pay for parts and most just change a needle and nozzle. If the stem the nozzle is screwed into is bent that is another story. That's what I do. I have a micron B&C and like the B more. I just found a rubber cap to fit it so I don't slop paint everywhere.

Yeah the Micron is mainly a cost thing. I can afford to get the brush, but then have to upgrade to the .18mm (because I like the larger cups,feels more balanced to me) and also worry about the price of matched heads down the road when money may be tighter.

The Mojo III with the Size 0 setup is the closest performance wise to a Micron. You can't get any kind of volume of paint out of it though.
With the size 0, it is strictly for detail, spraying a larger painting or background would take forever. The Infinity with the .15 can do fine detail, pretty close to the Mojo, but it can also spray a higher volume of paint when needed.
Parts for both the Mojo III and Infinity are reasonable, maintenance is a little easier on the Infinity because there are no tools necessary. That said, with proper flushing and cleaning, you shouldn't need to break the brushes down that often anyway.

Or even cheaper is the H&S Evolution. It has a few less gimmicks then the Infinity but has the same body, needle, nozzle, trigger, shafts and springs.

After a long day of debating I think I'm going to buy the H&S infinity cr + 2 n 1 :)

A lot of brushes out there that I would like! Still interested in a mojo 3...just haven't seen or heard enough about it to make it a comfortable purchase.

Iwata micron...just can't justify price. Definitely if I was actually doing jobs for actual customers!

Badger krome....already forgotten about!:whistling:

CH set up with a .2 is a GREAT brush I like the balance of the Iwata's with the larger bowls also And the mac valve

If you don't mind waiting for your paint to start, and if I remember correctly, the Infinity was dead silent as well, then you've chosen wisely. I mean guessing when and where your brush may or may not decide to start spraying is a good thing.. right? Makes for some excitement!!!!!!

Trigger sensitivity has to be one of the top 3?... attributes a person should look for. It's one of the things that has made the micron so famous. I will junk an airbrush that has ANY delay in trigger response.

I would take @jagardn 's advice and take a real long look at the MOJO III.

If you don't mind waiting for your paint to start, and if I remember correctly, the Infinity was dead silent as well, then you've chosen wisely. I mean guessing when and where your brush may or may not decide to start spraying is a good thing.. right? Makes for some excitement!!!!!!

Trigger sensitivity has to be one of the top 3?... attributes a person should look for. It's one of the things that has made the micron so famous. I will junk an airbrush that has ANY delay in trigger response.

I would take @jagardn 's advice and take a real long look at the MOJO III.

The trigger delay on the infinity is not like pissing in the wind, it's consistent. The response is just not as instant as the Mojo or a Micron.

To make sure the response time is almost instant, I do the same thing as with my HP-CH. Loosen the needle chuck and rotate the needle with little to no forward pressure. Re tighten and do a test spray. The response becomes damn close to instant.

It's not as instant as the Micron as Jardn mentioned but you also don't get the problem of a paint leaking when opening the air when the nozzle gets dirty on the inside. But is is always at the same spot and the dead spot is very short and gets shorter the thinner the paint gets.

After a long day of debating I think I'm going to buy the H&S infinity cr + 2 n 1 :)

A lot of brushes out there that I would like! Still interested in a mojo 3...just haven't seen or heard enough about it to make it a comfortable purchase.

Iwata micron...just can't justify price. Definitely if I was actually doing jobs for actual customers!

Badger krome....already forgotten
about!:whistling:

What kind of paint are you using? Reductions are a bit more critical when using a .15 nozzle. Just an FYI. You won't be sorry, H&S make great Airbrushes, I have 3 of them.

It's not as instant as the Micron as Jardn mentioned but you also don't get the problem of a paint leaking when opening the air when the nozzle gets dirty on the inside. But is is always at the same spot and the dead spot is very short and gets shorter the thinner the paint gets.

Exactly. Once your reduction ratios are correct, it sprays really nice.

I've been using the auto air/ wicked lines. I am going to also purchase some HoK paints with the brush. I feel I need to upgrade in paint also... Especially the candies!

I've been using the auto air/ wicked lines. I am going to also purchase some HoK paints with the brush. I feel I need to upgrade in paint also... Especially the candies!

With the right reductions you should be fine. With wicked using the .15mm you'll probably be best to start at around 10:1 ratios. You'll be really surprised how versatile the .4mm is. It's capable of decent detail and can really lay down some paint when using it as a workhorse.

I still toy with the idea of trying a Mojo or Infinity, would probably lean toward the infinity, just because it's not a super up Talon. But my gut tells me I would still be more comfortable with another micron.

Interested in something second hand (in name only, it's never used)? Would probably fit your needs perfectly....

I still toy with the idea of trying a Mojo or Infinity, would probably lean toward the infinity, just because it's not a super up Talon. But my gut tells me I would still be more comfortable with another micron.

It's just your hoarding addiction telling you that. You have enough airbrushes already. I almost talked myself into an Eclipse CS, but realized I didn't really need it. I say that now, but it's not saying I won't buy one at some point. :)

Back