Needle & Nozzle - Proper Handling

P

Panorama Mann

I think it's far better to ask lots of questions than to risk damage to your airbrush... and your mental health. Hopefully, this post will help us minimize and prevent costly damage (and the temporary insanity that inevitably accompanies such a misfortunate event).

There are countless ways to inadvertently damage a needle or nozzle during routine airbrushing procedures. We've all done it. It's understandable, albeit upsetting, when it happens from something like dropping your airbrush. But almost nothing is more frustrating and infuriating than when the damage is caused by a simple lack of presence of mind and you do something you know you should never do.

For example, backflushing and back-bubbling--by holding your finger over the front of the airbrush while pushing down and pulling back on the trigger--works nicely to help clean the airbrush as well as to gently mix the contents in a gravity-feed cup. Because this involves getting your finger close to the delicate nozzle and sharp needle, however, it's important to exercise proper care to avoid damage to your airbrush or injury to your finger. So how should a routine operation like this be performed to avoid damage when, for instance, you only have a crown cap and need to remove it to get a seal over the air cap? The nozzle sticks out slightly beyond the air cap so it can easily be damaged, especially on very small gauge nozzles. I've already damaged one nozzle through inexperience and stupidity and that's enough.

The only way to learn is through mistakes, but it's better to learn from the mistakes of others if possible.

Do you have any tips to share that you learned through a simple mistake which caused damage to your airbrush? Hopefully we can learn from your mistakes and save that money for a Micron. :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to hearing your horror stories! Thank you in advance!

Don't use those little brushes to clean your airbrush/nozzle etc, the metal ends can damage stuff - as I found out!

Got to agree on this, I don't even know why they bother to make these at all, I use dental ones which are softer and even then I only use them to clean the channel behind the Nozzle when it's off, but never ever let them get in or near the nozzle, I only ever do this during a complete strip down which isn't that often.

Don't use them. I have been out an airbrush for almost three weeks because of them little bastards. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you saved me that headache! Thank you! Anybody else have a horror story?

Saw a good overview by the Iwata team - they said worst thing in the world you can do is use those brushes to clean nozzles. A good soaking in a suitable solvent and a paintbrush is best...

Denatured alcohol ? Is that also called isopropyl alcohol ?
Nope, denatured alchohol is the stuff you would drink only there is toxins added intentionally. To avoid alchohol tax. Denatured can be found art any hardware, paint store or walmart. Etc..

Rubbing alcohol ?
Dammit why cant we call stuff the same names, it would make life so much easier LOL

Stop trying to figure out what the rest of the world calls it, here in Australia we call it 'metho' - methylated spirits !!

Denatured alcohol is Ethyl alcohol (with poison added special). Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol. There is also methyl alcohol ( wood alcohol) . You want either denatured or pure grain liquor. Methyl is a better solvent, but is listed as a carcinogen.....

Geeze, what isn't listed as a carcinogen these days, I can't even burn the sausages on the bbq without being told I'm trying to kill people

Does denatured alcohol make a good solvent/cleaner?
Depends entirely on what paint you've used... maybe... maybe not... with he list above I expect it would be OK with any water based. I use acetone (because I have it on hand...) for a soak clean...

Back