new badger xtreme

bex

Needle-chuck Ninja
just got myself a new badger extreme .. and i have to say its awesome. im a fan of badger airbrushes anyways but this is just amazing.

it pulls tighter smaller lines than the sotar does. the parts arnt as finicky as the krome and sotar are. the yellow is from the xtreme and the balck lines are from the sotar, (krome currently being repaired so couldn't use it as a test. )IMG_20160629_125935840.jpgIMG_20160629_125957374.jpg IMG_20160629_130012167.jpg IMG_20160629_150046607.jpg IMG_20160629_150148303.jpg IMG_20160629_150242682.jpg

is anyone else using this brush and what are your thoughts..? i have painted a picture with it and i will add that elsewhere on the site too. i found it much easier to get the small detail into though . :)

I never used a badger airbrush , but I know that trigger is way to high for me to work with ( I was send a trigger pad that made my trigger just as high as the high roller trigger on that badger to see if it would give me the control back I lost but I could not get used to the longer travel of the trigger and my trigger finger cramped up big time due to the to me un natural higher grip and yes I have real small hands ;)

the high trigger took a little to get use to. the shape of it is really nice though.. i have long nails so i catch them on the cup due to the height. but a few hours use i got use to it.. :) im quite lucky not to get too many cramps in my hands :)

I get lines like those (the yellow ones) with both my SOTAR and my Eclipse, so I think the taller trigger just makes finding the right spot in the trigger arc easier, rather than it being a factor of the needle or nozzle/tip design. Although I don't have trouble with it personally, I'll readily admit the amount of finger travel that makes the difference with fine lines like that is really minute with regular triggers, so I get the appeal.

Everyone's different, so more diverse options on the market are always a great thing.

Congratulations. Enjoy.

I just don't know why Badger can't thread that nozzle cap and fit a 2 prong needle cap. Maybe they are just out to make money with busted needles.

interesting point, have to say for me i prefer the floating nozzle.. replacement parts are cheap so i dont mind. and i dont think i go through any more than i would if it was a threaded. i like the Xtremes nozzle better than the sotar and krome as it see-able with normal vision lol.

interesting point, have to say for me i prefer the floating nozzle.. replacement parts are cheap so i dont mind. and i dont think i go through any more than i would if it was a threaded. i like the Xtremes nozzle better than the sotar and krome as it see-able with normal vision lol.

Having it threaded does not affect if the nozzle is floating or not. If threaded the user can choose if they want to protect the needle or not, especially for storage because everybody loses that rubber cap.

im unsure what you mean... nozzle cap threaded, i thought you mean nozzles. the caps are threaded on all my badgers,, as for pronged cap, for the sotar and krome there are optional caps that have prongs (the krome comes with one) the xtreme doesn't but has been developed to be a little differnt to the other brushes and was asked for by majority for an open nozzle. i change all my guns to open nozzle as its easier for cleaning the needle. tip dry and for backwashing to mix colours..
it is definitely each to their own and everyone has a favorite brand and brush, so i know others will hate the feature i like so much and vice versa. thats why its good there lots of market choice. :)

The little stubby must be threaded so that it can take a screw on guard.

IMG_20160629_125957374.jpg

Like on the Iwatas

tip-dry-201-remove-needle-cap.jpg

You could probably make a prong cap fairly easy. Just need some thick-walled aluminum tube of the right diameter, and some files or a small grinding bit.

If you're ambitious, and the nozzle cover is thick-walled enough, you could even tap threads on there. Maybe more work than it's worth (for me prong caps have joined the list of "optional gubbins I don't use anymore"), but that would be an individual thing as well.

Last edited:
You could probably make a prong cap fairly easy. Just need some thick-walled aluminum tube of the right diameter, and some files or a small grinding bit.

If you're ambitious, and the nozzle cover is thick-walled enough, you could even tap threads on there. Maybe more work than it's worth (for me prong caps have joined the list of "optional gubbins I don't use anymore"), but that would be an individual thing as well.

I reckon this could be made to fit it https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...pares/infinity-spares/infinity-crown-cap.html

It does look like an afterthought.

Always been my problem with Badger airbrushes, despite being trusted tools they look like pieces of pipe with bits just thrown on willy nilly, I know that's not the case but they just look like that to me, I've just bought an eclipse side feed and I can't believe how beautiful it is despite being in the lower range price bracket.

as for pronged cap, for the sotar and krome there are optional caps that have prongs (the krome comes with one) the xtreme doesn't but has been developed to be a little differnt to the other brushes and was asked for by majority for an open nozzle. i change all my guns to open nozzle as its easier for cleaning the needle. tip dry and for backwashing to mix colours..

It's an expectation carried over from other brands, I think. With most other brush brands Like Iwata, H&S, Paasche, etc, the air cap is a separate piece from what Badger calls the "hold down ring". Badger likes to integrate those two parts into a single part, so if you want to go from open nozzle to capped/pronged or vice versa, you have to actually take off the "hold down ring". With, say, an Iwata, you don't have to do that; you can just toss the cap/prong on or off on the fly.

This just makes it a little odd to see this open cap marketed as an innovation, as it's more like Badger solving a problem that basically only exists on Badger brushes because of an odd limiting legacy design descision. And they're solving it by making another alternate combined part instead of adopting the more versatile two-piece design everyone else uses.

Back