"New" brush

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
The new addition.

IMG_3827.JPG

So I havent got to play with this brush a lot yet and when I get time I'll add some pics to go with my observations and maybe make corrections .
Here what ive observed so far,
Performance;
It seems like it would really excel at doing tiny shading. I havent been able to get the razor sharp tiny lines that the 270 does........yet. Almost as small but less solid.
It doesnt get very wide or push a lot of paint but the atomization is through the roof! I dont think Ive ever seen anything atomize quite so fine.
I think it would be extremely forgiving when trying to build color from about a pencil line up to maybe 5/8".

Feel;
I thought the 270 felt dainty after using the Krome. This thing is downright tiny;
IMG_3828.JPG

For those of us military guys It might bring back a little nostalgic feeling because
It really really feels like holding this
govskilcraft.jpg
Yep I know you know what i'm talking about :)
Ok the black plastic on the model A is a bit thicker but seriously, it was the first thing I thought of when I picked up this brush.
Overall you have tons of control because youre fingers are just so darn close to the tip.
Trigger pull is smooth as silk, actually thats understated, you basically cant feel anything.
The push down leaves a bit to be desired but its not bad.
It's got the same side to side slop as the Krome but its not really noticeable during use, I guess because the trigger is so small.

Mechanical
I can't really judge its finish, because of the age theres a small amount of chrome pitting, Not all the way through but maybe to the nickel.... Im pretty sure this brush is quite a bit older than I am so whatever. I'm calling it excellent since it looks pretty good 40 or more years later.
It has a tune-able air cap which I think will be extra nice when I get to play around and get it figured out better.
One Warning;
If the air cap is tightened all the way down, it throws it off center so you have to run it out a little. If it still looks a bit off center, doesnt matter, the threads have just a tiny amount of slack in them so when you start air it actually self centers on the nozzle.

Overall;
So far I'd say this is going to be used a ton and Id recommend one to add to anyones arsenal, Imagine being able to easily control the opacity of your pencil size lines without changing your paint mix...thats what it does.
You cant possibly get a better value for the price that you can usually pick these up for. Even If you had to pay a good $75 to get one you knew was in good working order it would be well worth it. More than that if It turns out to be ok-ish on parts availability. Though $35 is more typical.
I think the design makes it fairly unlikely that the needle or nozzle will get damaged. I havent even checked availability but needles are easy enough to make, not sure about the nozzles yet..... I'll look around and also see if @DaveG has an answer on that part.

It is a pain to clean compared to a larger gravity feeder but its not terrible.

Last edited:
Thayer and chandler Model A review
I just put that in there because i realized i couldnt have made this thread less searchable if id done it on purpose.

Oh and obviously it also came with with nice old school dept store jewelry type case and similar box. Reminds me of all the jewelry cases my grandmother use to have around for no apparent reason.
Anyway I like good cases.

Wow cool brush! I've seen them on ebay but didn't realize how tiny they are. I have wondered where you find parts for them? Hope you enjoy the new toy and yes the cases were so awesome!

Wow cool brush! I've seen them on ebay but didn't realize how tiny they are. I have wondered where you find parts for them? Hope you enjoy the new toy and yes the cases were so awesome!
If its bad on parts....I guess I'll just buy more of them..worst case. I mean you can usually get one for about the cost of a new nozzle for a new brush.
It's way cool! cant see it in the pic but its like fake red baby alligator or something :)

Last edited:
In general, I find the atomization out of the Thayer Chandler Model A to be a thing of beauty - super fine spray pattern, smooth as silk. The instructions (I think they were included) say to turn the regulator head out 2.5 to 3 turns before use - many will actually shut off air flow if screwed all the way in. For t's age, it may not pull the sharpest of line, but will do very thin ones, that s for sure! Covering a large area, well, use something else for that ;).

Parts... TC has been history since the 90's. Badger owns the name, but they discontinued any production on the Model A when TC folded. Heads and needles from the Badger 100 will fit, but do not work as well, in my opinion. So, just don't damage anything! I have several from the 30's and 40's that work equally as well as the one you have there.

Last edited:
oh, check that handle - I do not believe it is plastic, but aluminum.
LOL sure is, still feels a lot like holding a government skilcraft :) Its a heck of a finish they have on there to have not really rubbed through anywhere.
Dave being the previous owner of this one I'm pretty sure its working as close to a new one as anyone can get.
It will do some very thin lines for me, they are just kind of light. I'm sure I havent found it's full stride though yet. The coolest part about it, there seems to be a sweet spot from maybe .5mm to 2mm where you can really easily keep your line the same width but make it darker or lighter at will, without having to change speed or change spray height much.

I'm pretty thrilled with it! Its a neat brush to have and has a few things its so exceptionally good at that it would be hard for me to pull off with another brush.

Back