New guy on the block

J

Johnny T.

Hello everyone all the way from Dubuque IA, US. I'M Johnny T. I should first tell you that i have no expirience as an artice what so ever. Im just an old timer that has been wanting to airbrush for the last therty years. Im a millwright jurney man. In other word the jack of all trades and master of none. I have join your forum because here you guys are willing to share your talent. I have been on you tube for countless hours viewing airbrush videos. This is where I found airbrush tutor and this forum. In Wichita I happen to see Miss Mell and Rebelair are members. I have watch many of there videos as well as Airbus tutor. And as I have told Miss. Mell I have gotten my confidence to begin because of her videos and now looking on this forum. I think I got enough equipment to keep me going. For airbrushes I have the Infinite, Iwata Hp-C, two M-180 and a snap-on .05. Bottom feed. For some more gidence I purchase the first edition of Daniel power. And I just order another 17 series video that some one here suggested. Any way I think I have said enough. Sorry to bore you guys. And thank to all of you for sharing.

Hey @Johnny T. Welcome from New Zealand. This is a good way to learn... I've used youtube a lot and worked through the purchase tutorials from AB tutor... Look forward to seeing your progress.

welcome from Australia @Johnny T.
I found this place the same way you did.... via you tube :)

lots of learnin' and laughing to be had around here, so make sure you ask questions if you cant find them in the forum (it can be a bit daunting with all the info out there)
Acknowledge there will be a learning curve and no 'instant' success and you will be fine

don't be concerned about being an 'old timer' . . theres one or two around here... cough cough.........like @markjthomson ........but not me :D I'm a young one :lipssealed:

Good wine, whiskey and people named Markjthomson... getting better with age! :)

Thanks Jackeb and MarkjTomson, I understand that there will be lots to learn and that is not going to be easy. And I'm ready to do the time because like I said this is something I really want to do. I said that I'm not an artice but in a way I am. One of my hobby is doing automotive paint. And building costume motorcycle. I'm building one wright now this is why I pick up the airbrush thinking that it would be easy to do a true fire paint job. Boy was I wrong. It's not as easy as people make it look on you tube. I was disappointed wright way. But I steel keep the at it and keep looking around the Web for as much information the i can get. Besides YouTube. By the way I do love a good glass of wine and whiskey. But I do love my Bacardy. Cencerro I was raised in Puerto Rico. Wright in the same town that it's made.

Welcome aboard from the Uk. We never get bored talking about airbrushing, we're addicted lol. True fire is all in the feel of it and the shape of the licks, and the order of the layers and colours. There are many methods, none of which worked for me, but a combination of different things just clicked with me one day and it all fell in to place, so you just need to keep trying til you find what works for you. Paint is important too. What are you using??

Hi Squishy, Well I'm not given up, That's not gone happen. I just put it on hold for a bit just because I rely need to learn how to control the airbrush. I found out that it doesn't work like a spray gun or touch up gun. For paint i'm using wicked paint. I have used several mixing paint method but nothing had work till I found the airbrush tutor true flame video. That's when i found this site, boy I'm i glad that I did. Any way i started to use his mixing colors and that work but it did not look wright because of my stroke didn't look good. i have been practicing to control the trigger with dots, line, daggers, and so on. i have done that for a couple of weeks now. I'm going to try and work on something this weekend, on sheet metal that i have prep nested of the art paper that i have use for the one that i did at first.

By accepting that it is a learning curve you will have a better journey.

You are right, you can't do it at the moment, but you will with the right attitude, and it seems you have the right attitude. make sure you put up photos of your progess, it makes it easier for those to help if we can see what you are trying to do.

Hi Johnny. Welcome to the forum. First, you should know that true fire is probably the hardest texture to get right. But with practice and determination you will succeed. We are all here to help, so if you have any questions they may have been answered on this forum, so search first. But if you can't find an answer to your question, just ask and you will get the information you need from the great members here. :)

Hey, thanks guys for your welcoming. I was planing to work on some flames today try to work with the colors but nested I'm just practicing the dagers on playing paper. Well I'm trying to see if I can duplicate the airbrush tutor true fire scheme. Since I like the free hand stile. Every true flame job that I have seen here on the states have been done with stencils. I want to try and do something different. I'll try and post some pics of my progress. I just got to see where I got to post them.

I am a Wicked user too, and the wicked detail is great for flames, pops beautifully with clear too. Def don't bother with stencils. It wasn't til I ditched them that I got a look I was happy with. Find some good fire refs and study the shapes, where the hard edges are and how the other edge is softer, and how it flows.

Taking a step back to master the strokes is a smart move. Get them down and you can tackle anything. If you have been practising on paper, and are going to try working on a hard surface, you may have to make a few adjustments, a little less pressure, maybe a drop more reducer if it behaves differently.

Hi Squishy,Thank's for the tip on the paint. I really would love to get more involve in to doing more with the airbrushing. But I'm pushing for the true fire because I woul like to do my pro street chopper. But I don't have much time left before I'm done building it. I have been putting in three to four hours a nigh after I get off work. Plus time on the bike build.

Welcome to the madhouse Johnny:D I see you have met a few of the residents herelollol We are all a helpful bunch so as you can see any questions just post them up and someone will get back to you

Welcome home and nice you decided to join in the fun that is airbrushing and this forum.
If you have questions we have answers ,

Thanks for welcoming, Basepaint and Mr.Micron. Believe me I got plenty of question. Some has been answer already. Thank to this forum. I have more, but I'll keep looking around. By the way Squishy I understand what you mean by been carful when I start painting on a hard surface cense I'm practicing on regular paper. I have been over reducing my paint just because I know that paper will suck the paint in, so I wanted to make sure that if I wasn't careful I would get spider web effect. And I do get spider web if I'm not watching what I'm doing. Because I really over reduce. Again, thank Guy's.

Maybe try an A3 picture frame, drop a sheet black paper in it and then practise your flames on the glass, if you muck up then razor blade it off and go again :D

Hi Jack Eb, Thanks for the idea with the glass. I have a section of sheet metal that i prept with primer and then spray a very hevy coat of black. i have use it for practicing the flame. Once I'm done with the flames I use a scratch pad and windex to clean it up and start all over again. But I stop trying to do the flames for now because in reality I need to get better on controlling the airbrush. That's why Im practicing on plain paper, just doing line, dots and dagger strokes. Thank Man.

Put some exercise sheets under the glass, not only do you get to practise your control, you get to practise on hard surface.
If vehicle work is your goal then practicing on paper will slow you down

Thank JackEd, I'll try that. Hard surface won't be the only thin that I'm goin to do. I plan to try and work with other one but I'm really working hard for the flame because that is what I had plan for my bike. But if I don't have it down by the time I finish building it, I'll go with a grafick stile pant job.

Back