New nozzle same old problems

matty171

Air-Valve Autobot!
Hi All,

i received a new nozzle and needle from Foxy's and once i put them in my airbrush started to give me problems, again.
some of you may remember that i had the same issues a few months back after replacing my nozzle and needle, for those that cant here is the thread http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/airbrush-service.14076/

the last time this happened i had sent the brush off to holland to get it looked at by lion-art who couldnt find a problem with it so i took it that it was a matty problem and left it at that.
It was suggested by a few of the helpful guys on here that maybe my compressor had given up the ghost so i replaced it for a tanked one but even after this the brush wasnt spraying much better so after trying everything possible and a round trip to holland i decided to put my old nozzle in and what do ya know it worked great.

i left it at that and put it down to getting a bad nozzle and as these things happen i just left it at that and continued with my damaged nozzle, well as i had some money i decided to by myself a new nozzle for crimbo and it arrived today but once i replaced it the same shiz started to happen.
Matty is not a happy chappy.

i have tried everything i can like cleaning etc etc etc etc etc. i replaced the new with the old again and hey presto the brush is working perfectly. i even have the nozzle that caused all the shiz last time and tried that again but no joy.

As im sure most of you who have owned a brush for a while can appreciate when i say i know my brush and i know when it aint playing ball.

Heres what i do know::
its not a dirty nozzle
its not the compressor
its not the reductions/paint as the same reduction will work in the old but not the new
the chances of getting two defected nozzles is very small to none
im not imagining it
im running outta patience

i have made a couple of short videos to show the difference in how far i have to pull back to get paint if you watch my finger you will see, the first two are the new nozzle and the last one the old i will post them below as i have to do it from my phone.

to me it seems that not enough air can get thro a new nozzle but one that is damaged or flared could be letting more air thro???? i dont know just guessing

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as im at a loss and am sitting with two new nozzles that i cant use. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So am I right in saying that you're getting a delay in response to the trigger, then an all or nothing amount of paint, which is hard to control???? (just guessing from the vid) Normally I would say blocked nozzle, but I know that's not the issue here. Did you get a new needle with the nozzle? Is it possible that the needle is damaged or faulty in some way/isn't actually the right size? The only other thing i can think of is a restricted airflow, maybe one of the little holes is blocked enough to be ineffective when small amount of air goes through, then when a bit more air gets involved it suddenly flows?? I'm stumped!

Edit, ok so just re read your post, and as it flows with the old nozzle it isn't likely to be a needle issue. I would guess the old nozzle is worn, and is allowing extra air flow. If it is an airflow issue, you are probably pulling back more than you would usually (but haven't noticed this happening over time) with the old nozzle, and if there is an air blockage then when the air does kick in properly the worn nozzle is able to cope??? The new nozzle/s are probably working correctly, in which case the pressure could be building up a little before a slight blockage allows it through giving a spurt that the new nozzle can't cope with ????

Last edited:
I can't believe you are still having problems, I also refuse to believe you could have faulty nozzles, so I'm guessing that the crack in the old nozzle is allowing air through that you can't otherwise get, this makes me think that is dirt in the air chanel that goes from the valve to the inside of the nozzle cap or there is dirt around the little ring of space between the nozzle and cap, I've blocked a few times just by trying to pick off tip dry, the only advice I could give you at this stage is to completely strip it down and scrutinise these points, the reason for the better atomising in microns is because of the fact that there is less free space inside the nozzle cap making it more efficient, so it stands to reason that the same area would easier to become blocked, if you don't feel upto going through all of this you could contact Iwata and give them all the lowdown, I have a feeling they will get you sorted either with a fix or a replacement.

So am I right in saying that you're getting a delay in response to the trigger, then an all or nothing amount of paint, which is hard to control???? (just guessing from the vid) Normally I would say blocked nozzle, but I know that's not the issue here. Did you get a new needle with the nozzle? Is it possible that the needle is damaged or faulty in some way/isn't actually the right size? The only other thing i can think of is a restricted airflow, maybe one of the little holes is blocked enough to be ineffective when small amount of air goes through, then when a bit more air gets involved it suddenly flows?? I'm stumped!

Edit, ok so just re read your post, and as it flows with the old nozzle it isn't likely to be a needle issue. I would guess the old nozzle is worn, and is allowing extra air flow. If it is an airflow issue, you are probably pulling back more than you would usually (but haven't noticed this happening over time) with the old nozzle, and if there is an air blockage then when the air does kick in properly the worn nozzle is able to cope??? The new nozzle/s are probably working correctly, in which case the pressure could be building up a little before a slight blockage allows it through giving a spurt that the new nozzle can't cope with ????

Hey Squishy
i am fooking stumped, i agree that there is obviously more air getting thro the damaged nozzle, you could be right in that i have'nt noticed it over time as i have been using this damaged nozzle for a while now, but that being said and if what you say is correct then there is still a problem with the delay in paint coming out and not being able to spray consistently at lower pressures, in the video you can see how far back i have to go before i get paint that was at 15&20 psi, when i do get paint it will go ok for a couple of seconds but then screw up again. once the old nozzle go's back in no problems

I can't believe you are still having problems, I also refuse to believe you could have faulty nozzles, so I'm guessing that the crack in the old nozzle is allowing air through that you can't otherwise get, this makes me think that is dirt in the air chanel that goes from the valve to the inside of the nozzle cap or there is dirt around the little ring of space between the nozzle and cap, I've blocked a few times just by trying to pick off tip dry, the only advice I could give you at this stage is to completely strip it down and scrutinise these points, the reason for the better atomising in microns is because of the fact that there is less free space inside the nozzle cap making it more efficient, so it stands to reason that the same area would easier to become blocked, if you don't feel upto going through all of this you could contact Iwata and give them all the lowdown, I have a feeling they will get you sorted either with a fix or a replacement.
Alrite MB
yea mate i have been using the same damaged nozzle since i sent you that mail back in september, plus this nozzle is from foxys this time, different supplier same shiz. i get what your saying about the dirt in the areas between the valve and the head but i stripped down both my brushes just last week and they are as clean as i can get them, this includes the valve. i was thinking about contacting iwata directly and seeing what they have to say cause im really pissed off that i have two brand new nozzles and cant do excrement with them.

i agree with both of you guys that there is and airflow problem somewhere and was thinking it might be the head unit but ill be fcuked if im buying a new one just to see if it works.

Hey Squishy
i am fooking stumped, i agree that there is obviously more air getting thro the damaged nozzle, you could be right in that i have'nt noticed it over time as i have been using this damaged nozzle for a while now, but that being said and if what you say is correct then there is still a problem with the delay in paint coming out and not being able to spray consistently at lower pressures, in the video you can see how far back i have to go before i get paint that was at 15&20 psi, when i do get paint it will go ok for a couple of seconds but then screw up again. once the old nozzle go's back in no problems

Alrite MB
yea mate i have been using the same damaged nozzle since i sent you that mail back in september, plus this nozzle is from foxys this time, different supplier same shiz. i get what your saying about the dirt in the areas between the valve and the head but i stripped down both my brushes just last week and they are as clean as i can get them, this includes the valve. i was thinking about contacting iwata directly and seeing what they have to say cause im really pissed off that i have two brand new nozzles and cant do excrement with them.

i agree with both of you guys that there is and airflow problem somewhere and was thinking it might be the head unit but ill be fcuked if im buying a new one just to see if it works.

Don't buy anything else just to see if it works, let Iwata deal with it, I reckon it's just something that's so simple we just can't see it, keep us updated, in the meantime go and get excremente faced ready for the bells;)

Don't buy anything else just to see if it works, let Iwata deal with it, I reckon it's just something that's so simple we just can't see it, keep us updated, in the meantime go and get excremente faced ready for the bells;)
yea gonna get in touch with them after new year, i wish i was getting excrement faced but unfortunately its me myself and i lol
Happy new year big man and i hope its a better year for you and Mrs Brush

I'm going to ask what probably is a very stupid question here so don't be insulted :), but as you have the problem with 2 new nozzles I'm gonna ask anyway on the off chance this is the cause. That is a 0.18 brush looking at the vids, you are sure you didn't order the 0.23 micron nozzle for it?

I'm going to ask what probably is a very stupid question here so don't be insulted :), but as you have the problem with 2 new nozzles I'm gonna ask anyway on the off chance this is the cause. That is a 0.18 brush looking at the vids, you are sure you didn't order the 0.23 micron nozzle for it?

The one that came from Lion was ordered by me as was the needle and i double double checked that i ordered the correct parts:p I can't speak for the other but I'm pretty sure that Matty stated it was for the micron B:)

Not insult taken mate ive done stupider things in life [emoji14]
Definitely ordered 0.18 nozzles.

I had a problem with paint not coming out right and it was not the needle or the nozzle. I found out that the little hole where the air comes out had clogged up with paint. I undid the nozzle assembly and pushed a wire From the front of the airbrush) and through the air hole (towards the back) to the part that is just above where you connect the air hose. I went through the bottom hole and with the wire as a guide I let some acetone drops follow the wire until the paint dissolved and I got it out by letting the air pressure up to 60 psi. You may have cleaned you airbrush and some solvents sucked in the paint through that hole and then it dried up in there. I hope this works for everyone.

I also had this problem a while ago, and it was due to a very minimal air leak between the nozzle base and the body. Try to use some soapy water and backflush for a while. If bubbles appear between the two, you have a leakage that can cause the problem. Hope this will helps.

Hi Guys
thanks for all your replies and suggestions so far but i have tried everything humanly possible but i just cant figure it out, i have also been mailing Hassje in the background and he has given me a few things to try but to no avail. the problem is obviously air flow related as a damaged nozzle is letting thro more air than a new one, it seems to be a problem within the head unit so im gonna contact iwata and see what they have to say about the problem and hopefully they can sort it altho im more than likely gonna have to send it away again fs, this brush has had more trips away than me lol
i will keep this thread updated so it may help someone else in the future.

peace and happy new year folks

matty

Hi Guys
thanks for all your replies and suggestions so far but i have tried everything humanly possible but i just cant figure it out, i have also been mailing Hassje in the background and he has given me a few things to try but to no avail. the problem is obviously air flow related as a damaged nozzle is letting thro more air than a new one, it seems to be a problem within the head unit so im gonna contact iwata and see what they have to say about the problem and hopefully they can sort it altho im more than likely gonna have to send it away again fs, this brush has had more trips away than me lol
i will keep this thread updated so it may help someone else in the future.

peace and happy new year folks

matty

It could well be that when the old nozzle got damaged that the inside oh the head/cap also suffered and there since the old nozzle lines up the same its being starved of air, but as you say let Iwata do their thing, remember the cost of postage will be a lot less than forking out for a new brush altogether.

@matty171 I forgot to ask but how is your written Japanese:eek:
alrite mate
im in the middle of sending an email to them at the minute out lining the history from september to now to hopefully see if they can sort it.
its a uk based email but if it saves me the price of a new head unit ill fcuking learn japanese and any other sh1t i need to lol lol

alrite mate
im in the middle of sending an email to them at the minute out lining the history from september to now to hopefully see if they can sort it.
its a uk based email but if it saves me the price of a new head unit ill fcuking learn japanese and any other sh1t i need to lol lol

You swine, that last sentence just cracked my ribslollollollollol now my poor wife will have to do her own hoovering:confused::)

Back