For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

new to airbrushing

Discussion in 'Airbrush Compressors' started by hairy, Aug 6, 2016.

1. hairy

hairy Young Tutorling

hey everyone i just got into airbrushing and got the crap compressor everyone said not to get. i wanted to get the hang of things before i actually got good equipment. now im stuck wondering around for a nice silent cheap and durable compressor. if you have any info you can share with me it will be appreciated thank you.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

Hi Hairy, silent and cheap don't exist, pick one or the other. You can get quiet and reasonable priced. Check out the videos on airbrushtutor website.

here is a good link http://www.airbrushtutor.com/compressor/

Also can you go along to the intro page, give us an intro... where do you live, experience, any equipment, etc. Helps us answer better. Here is the link http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Check out the nettiquette page as well... tells you a bit about us!
    JackEb likes this.
  3. tony54321

tony54321 Young Tutorling

pro silent is only 100 bucks
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

they're a standard cheap 'studio' type of compressor. if you are painting a lot then they run often in order to keep up, and as a result can overheat. I have something similar and its now in its 4th year of moderate use and I'm getting rust stains when I drain it, so its rusting from the inside out, so at some point will let go. I've now upgraded.

your current one will do for now, once you know your hooked then you can look at options with a larger tank so its not running so often
    tony54321 likes this.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Hi welcome from the UK. Just to throw a different idea into the mix. Silent compressors are pretty expensive, you may be lucky and find a well maintained one second hand, but if you are the handy type, or know someone who is, there are some who have had success swapping out noisy motors from regular compressors with one or two (depending on tank size and refill rate) fridge motors. Its way beyond me, but has been done.
  6. Jayhawk

Jayhawk Elite Member! Elite Member!

Any opinion on Harbor Freight's compressors? Mine seems to be working fine for 60 bucks
  7. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

No offence but thats like saying i want to learn to drive, so I'll grab the cheapest crappy car just in case LOL..You know the one that the brakes half work, the engine misses and the gear box only has 2 gears left out of four..maybe reverse if your lucky..The thing with cheap gear is that you on't know if your the problem...or the gear is..Spend a few more bucks, it ain't expensive to get a reasonable kit of reasonable quality that should get you a good start...

But on a cheap silent compressor...they don't exist LOL..The more silent the more expensive basically but you can also get a small shop compressor (Lots of air so will rarely charge) and if to noisy build a silencing box..many options..the artlogic brand is a good mid-range silent compressor, just buy something with a twin piston so it reduces pulsing and if you can get one with a small storage tank..Even better :)..They do though have the habit of occasionally being a water pump which can cause the odd issue..best of luck.
  8. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

I doubt you'll ever see a reply to this Rebel, the guy who started this thread hasn't been on since he posted it which was also the same day he logged on for the first time, so I'm assuming since he couldn't get a top of the range super silent compressor for 50 bucks he just gave up altogether. :)
  9. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

LOL, didn't notice, all good, may help another wanting to get into it..
  10. Basstrack238

Basstrack238 Needle-chuck Ninja

California air tools with a nice size tank is about 150 at home Depot. I love mine. It's pretty quiet, I run it in basement while family sleeps, no worries...