For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

New to Everything

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by Billybamdam, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Billybamdam

Billybamdam Young Tutorling

Hi guys and gals. My name is Billy. Im originally from New Mexico(USA, not Mexico people) currently living in Alabama working as an aircraft mechanic. I’m new to airbrushing and the forum. I have a dream of someday building a bait manufacturing company. I’m far from doing so. I decided I’d start by custom painting crankbaits, create a YouTube channel and e-commerce website, and begin building a small reputation. So I thought, “If I’m going to start airbrushing for real, I’m going to start with the best of the best equipment.” I did my research, saved some money and bought an Iwata HPC Plus, Iwata hose and quick disconnect, SilentAir 20A compressor, cleaning jar, wicked createx paints, crank blanks from a reputable seller, a small shop vac, stencil material, combs, etc etc etc. I began practicing on coroplast cut outs to get the feel of the brush and paints, and create some original jobs. I made some of my own stencils and found materials that made really awesome patterns. I finally pulled the courage together (today) to actually paint a crank bait. Well I thought so until my airbrush decided to act up and spit paint when it wasn’t suppose to. I cleaned it the best I could and moved on. What the heck, it’s managable. I set up my wife’s camera and started recording. I made it past the base coat and while I was cleaning out the gun.... pop shhhhhhhhhh.... run run run run (very quietly hehe) pop shhhhhhhhhhh...... run run run run run run. Faulty pressure switch? OK WHAT THE HECK. God did not want me to paint my first crank today. I guess He wants me to wait until my 3D eyes come in the mail! Oh well!
    basepaint, jord001 and RichardH like this.
  2. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Needle-chuck Ninja

Welcome to the forum from China!
    Billybamdam likes this.
  3. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Welcome to the forum Billy, Im sure your compressor will be a simple fix. Then you can get back to the fun.

Lee
    Billybamdam likes this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Welcome to the madhouse Billy, as you found airbrushing is a learning experience for sure, I paint muskie lures (It's easier for my old eyes to see!) But I have painted a few bass plugs in my time so if you have a question ask away or send me a pm and I'll get back to you asap,there's also a few others on here that also do lures !
    Billybamdam likes this.
  5. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

Welcome from New Zealand! So aircraft mech as in the mech bit... or avionics... or.... bit of everything... What sort of birds are you working on? I did a few years on C-130's, 727's, P3-K Orions, Hawker Sidley Andovers, the occasional Macdonald Douglas A4k Skyhawk (drag chutes mostly...), UH1H Iroquois, Westland Wasps and Bell Sioux
  6. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Welcome from the U.K.
    Sounds like some fine equipment you have already, that’s a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billybamdam likes this.
  7. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Welcome aboard from the Finger lakes, Billy! Lots of folks to help. Enjoy your time here.
    Billybamdam likes this.
  8. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Welcome from Australia :)
    Always nice to have new blood in the madhouse
    markjthomson and Billybamdam like this.
  9. Billybamdam

Billybamdam Young Tutorling

Nice! I’d really like to get into some helicopter work. I do a bit of everything. I work mostly on 757s, 767s, and MD80s. Some on DC10s. I have some experience on GA as well.
    markjthomson likes this.