newbie need help about hose fitting

M

modeler

Hi All
Quick question here, I have purchased a airbrush, with the M10 air inlet, but my compressor is airtool compressor with 1/2" outlet, so I need an airbrush pipe that can take 1/2" and output to M10. Or I will need a coupler, exact that convert btw metric 10 and 1/2" ?My compressor also come with a coiled pipe that have a output of 5/16" , so M10 - to 5/16" coupler should also works for me.
Please advise where I can see a comprehensive list of couplers

I know I can buy a 5/16" barbed fitting, and the airbrush come with a barbed fitting too, so I can find a piece of silicon tube and fits to the two sides, does it work? is the air pressure going to push the barbed fitting out of its pipe?

All the above thread size is accurately measured at hardware store, by matching the screw and bolt template, I hope air tool use same standard used in hardwares

Last edited by a moderator:
I used surgical pipe on my first airbrush as the pipe that comes with is is crap. It worked fine even at 40 psi
So it should work.
As far as fittings are concerned get the right stuff from the start.

Before i start could you please find the time to pop over to the introductions section and tell us about yourself, where you live in the world ( we can help you find suppliers and deals local to you ) what equipment you have and what you intend to use the airbrush for as we have lots of talented people here who can help with specific subjects. AND mainly because were nosey and want to know everything.

Ok I cant speak for the compressor you have but in general they will have a 1/4 inch outlet fitting which is physically around 13 mm or half an inch diameter if you measure it, and the airbrush valve is usually a 1/8th fitting which is around 10mm by measurement unless its a badger or paasche airbrush then you will have smaller threads badger is 5 mm and paasche is very similar but i am not sure of the exact size.
You will be able to buy a hose which will have 1/4 on one end and 1/8 on the other. Ebay sell them for around £3 -4 GBP
Please double check in the compressor manual for the size of the outlet thread. The airbrush i can 99% guarantee is a 1/8 fitting.

Lee

I'm From Canada, hi lee, thx for your reply, but i am still confuse
The Air compressor output is 1/2" guarenteed, it says in the manual and measured with exact 1/2" nut thread;
The air brush come from hongkong, didn't specify the size, but measured with M10 nut perfectly, so i am absolutely sure it is m10 thread.
i am not sure why you say 1/4 to 1/8, are they thread size or pipe size.

I'm From Canada, hi lee, thx for your reply, but i am still confuse
The Air compressor output is 1/2" guarenteed, it says in the manual and measured with exact 1/2" nut thread;
The air brush come from hongkong, didn't specify the size, but measured with M10 nut perfectly, so i am absolutely sure it is m10 thread.
i am not sure why you say 1/4 to 1/8, are they thread size or pipe size.

The 1/4 and 1/8 are the inside diameters of the pipes/hoses and not the outside diameters/threads, if you post a photo of of your compressor and the pipe/hose we can see better what you need, the outlet fitting that is now attached to your compressor should have numbers somewhere on telling you that it is either a 1/4 fitting or 1/8 fitting but it is most likely 1/4.

here is what I have, the airbrush is a cheap no-brand one, but I am 100% sure that the inlet is M10 threaded, it may be 5mm in diameter or about 1/4", in the picture you can see the barbed airhose fitting.

the compressor is local hardware store one, come with coil pipe and i am sure it has 1/2" threaded out put or the pipe may be 1/4" in diameter.

I have two option:
1, find barbed fitting fit into the red compressor pipe and link through a silicon pipe to airbrush
2, find exact coupler, M10 female and 1/2" male so as to get seamless air pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_20160816_183745.jpg
    IMG_20160816_183745.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20160816_183749.jpg
    IMG_20160816_183749.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 6
here is what I have, the airbrush is a cheap no-brand one, but I am 100% sure that the inlet is M10 threaded, it may be 5mm in diameter or about 1/4", in the picture you can see the barbed airhose fitting.

the compressor is local hardware store one, come with coil pipe and i am sure it has 1/2" threaded out put or the pipe may be 1/4" in diameter.

I have two option:
1, find barbed fitting fit into the red compressor pipe and link through a silicon pipe to airbrush
2, find exact coupler, M10 female and 1/2" male so as to get seamless air pipe.

OK, you would get buy with part numbered 1 - 3 in blue in this chart (middle of chart);

couplings.jpg

However, if you wish to protect your brush from moisture and debris coming from your compressor you will also need part numbered 4 in blue, bottom right in which case you will also need a second hose, that coiled hose would only hinder you while you were working.

When we talk about compressors and their sundries, couplings and attachments we refer to them as 1/8 usually for airbrushing and 1/4 for heavy air operated tools and garage/workshop use, these numbers are used generally when we order parts for compressors and the guys who sell the stuff instantly know that if you say 1/8 it refers to the internal diameter of the hose and the part you receive will automatically have the correct M10 thread, a term we only use when buying screws, nuts and bolts, a meters length of 1/8 pipe carries half the volume of a meter length of 1/4 pipe.

that make perfect sense, one more question, can I save connection point?

e.g this one use 1/8 female to 1/4 female
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1Pc-180cm-1-...192053?hash=item43d64d31b5:g:abwAAOSw8d9Uuggp

and male 1/4 quick release that plug into airtank.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-4-1-2-Air-...hash=item41822e4d6b:m:mkBWyO3gJU5ZKRWDh8FKvqw

Part number three on the diagram would go straight into the hose you linked, but the stuff in your bottom link is of no use to you unless you going use a spray gun with the bigger fitting but that would go onto your coiled hose , try to remember that compressors produce a lot moisture especially in humid conditions, this moisture condenses and collects in your hose and ends up coming out of your airbrush and destroys your work, those of us who have been airbrushing for a while have the moisture trap/regulator before the brush and preferably before the hose, we also have a mini trap on the brush itself, the mini trap is also on the diagram left of the two top hoses, without the right equipment and protection you'll soon get frustrated and maybe give up before you even get to find out if like airbrushing or not.

I have a similar type of compressor with the larger fittings and have just installed all the parts I'm recommending to you, in my case supplying all these parts was far cheaper than having to buy a new brush, check out this thread to see my set up, after you've done that, naturally I'll answer any further questions you may have, but whatever happens it is wise to play safe and protect your equipment.

Back