For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Next attempt - Mediterranean Courtyard

Discussion in 'Works In Progress & Finished Artworks!' started by V-Twin, Aug 12, 2018.

1. V-Twin

V-Twin Triple Actioner

Found a reference picture which was something different and push me a little more.

Com-Art paints onto Acrylic Paper using H&S Evolution CR Plus and 0.2mm needle, Air pressure 22psi (initially)

I transferred the picture via the usual tracing paper/pencil technique. I then decided to use Raw Sienna as the base outline and some shading.

upload_2018-8-12_21-39-41.jpeg

A little while later, some more done. Tried to get the step walls to show age and colour fade/dirt (not doing too good on it thus far) using White and Medium (1:2 respectively). Shading and tinting done with mix of Burnt Umber, Raw Sienna and then using Trans Sienna Brown (I think).
    upload_2018-8-12_21-40-36.jpeg

Next day, continued and then added some colour and more shading.

Some artistic license added, as not using same colour for plant pots and not drawing in all the plant pots either. Biggest bugbear I have with painting is getting the damn colours mixed to the same as the reference, damn hard to do at present.
    Lastly, not really enjoying this one as much presently, mainly because I think I have had to 'draw' the scene again before trying to 'paint' it in, but I guess it had to be done to get the outlines. Not sure how I am gonna tackle the concrete flooring yet, but I will think of something. As you can see, I still lots more to do everywhere.....
    PogArt and doc1 like this.
  2. V-Twin

V-Twin Triple Actioner

Oops forgot to add last picture for above text..... next day, continued...... etc

upload_2018-8-12_21-53-9.jpeg
    PogArt, basepaint, Zotilraxx and 7 others like this.
  3. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

That is look great so far.
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

you're off to a great start,
    Nice write up too, thanks for taking the time to do this, it helps a lot of people understand the process
    doc1 likes this.
  5. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Kudos and respect for choosing such a complex motif to paint! This will be your airbrush-Everest... I am looking forward to observing how this progresses. Is the reference picture a photo; if so, are you aiming to emulate the faded appearance?
  6. Zackod

Zackod Elite Member! Elite Member!

Looks great so far!!
  7. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That’s a bold picture to tackle and it looks like you’re doing a great job so far. Take your time and this is going to turn out really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AndreZA likes this.
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I'm with @SiRoxx, that is a crazy picture to do. Very original subject. Looks good so far.
    SiRoxx likes this.
  9. V-Twin

V-Twin Triple Actioner

Correction to substrate: NOT Acrylic paper, but it is in fact, CANVAS BOARD double Gesso'd. Chose it for the texture to help reflect in the stone and whit-washed stair wall etc.

@Franc Kaiser, I trawled the web for something to do and found this, I believe it may be an old postcard picture. @SiRoxx, @AndreZA Yea, I thought it would be something different to what I have attempted thus far and maybe push me more. It's certainly doing that for sure. I guess I am trying to make it look almost exact as the reference, but it ain't appenin'. Will plod on as its all a learning curve at the end of the day.
    SiRoxx and HellBird like this.
  10. Zotilraxx

Zotilraxx Air-Valve Autobot!

Nice one... beautiful work so far...
  11. V-Twin

V-Twin Triple Actioner

OK, here is the latest photo of progression thus far.
    upload_2018-8-16_21-12-8.jpeg

I have done more (today) since this photo was taken, but have called it a day as the paint was not flowing and I could not sort it out and I was struggling to control the airbrush too, thus mistakes were about to happen, soooo cleared up and just poured myself a large Dalmore Single Malt (and I think another to follow it) :)
    Trees/Plants done with Opaque Chrome Green, Transparent's Emerald Green, Kelly Green, and Black.
    Door took damn ages for some reason, Trans Bright Red, Sienna Brown and Opaque Burn Umber.
    Flooring shadings of Sienna, White, Trans Black and a touch of made up Dark Green (Chrome Green and Trans Black [2:1] ).
    Today I have done more work on the flooring and have partially filled in the archway with plants. Still more to do but not too far off being done I think, maybe a few more days (providing I stop tweaking it).

Not sure how I feel about this one at present. A lot harder in respect of trying to emulate the texture of aged and crumbling plaster/concrete. Fairly happy with the door colours and texture, although not exact to the reference, but this painting is more an exercise for me and just something different to broaden my scope.
    Ricky Spanish, SiRoxx, JackEb and 2 others like this.
  12. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone isnt easy. But we need to in order to improve.
    I take my hat off to you , it wouldnt be an easy piece to undertake. Its coming along well and I'm sure its taught you a lot. Every piece I've done has given me something to take into future pieces.
    And you did the right thing by walking away. Sometimes the moons dont align and thats when disasters can happen.

I look forward to the next installment :)
  13. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

Coming together nicely! I am sure at the end of this painting you will feel exhausted like you decorated this courtyard in real life. I agree with JackEb that it makes sense to step away from it sometimes, especially when you feel like you’re far off from your “zone”.
  14. SiRoxx

Still looking great Buddy. Sometimes the day just doesn’t come together and as Jackie said, you made the right move. Have a study of the ref and plan your next attack.

15. Mr. Matze

Mr. Matze Needle-chuck Ninja

Wow! It looks like a postcard! Amazing work!
  16. V-Twin

V-Twin Triple Actioner

All; Many thanks for the kind words and encouragements, much appreciated.

So; here is the FINISHED product. Not a perfect reference copy, but my interpretation/slant on it. Decided to not put in 'all' the plant pots and the paper cutout sun-flower on the door window. Not sure about the hosepipe either, whether it has spoilt the scene or not (besides I laid it in the wrong direction to reference).

upload_2018-8-18_17-49-51.jpeg
    So a mixture of Airbrush and very small hairy paint brushes (mainly for the plants) used. One thing I have learned from this painting, is I am beginning to NOT like spraying White! It is like trying to get Tar through the nozzle, just would not come out smooth. Yesterdays pain, I was also up and down the psi scale (22 - 15 - 10 - 15... ppffff sod it!) to try getting the paint to move freely, but it was not having it.
    This afternoons session went well and set psi from 15 back to 20, and did some tweaking and shading and adding last bits of the scene.
    Final thing to do, probably tomorrow sometime is to seal it with Com-Art Varnish.

If anyone has any tips/techniques to improve the look of aged white washed plaster or concrete flooring, then 'shout out' soonest before I varnish it.

cheers Neil
  17. HellBird

HellBird Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

You really have done well here, V-Twin. Yeah, I'd have to agree IME white's the worst! Try a bigger nozzle/needle/aircap size if you have to use it, but it's still cantankerous.
  18. SiRoxx

White tends to be very pigment heavy to achieve the result. Because if that it’s always a tougher colour to spray. Some brands are better than others though, I’ve found CI White to be pretty well behaved, but even then I have a lot of reducer in there, but it does spray better that way. Maybe have a play with some very reduced white and see how you go.

19. PogArt

PogArt Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

What a challenge!
    Great start ;)