Normal cleaning then using Airbrush restorer to show what was still in the brush

basepaint

Air-Valve Autobot!
Thought with all the questions about airbrush spitting.stopping and not working right I would show what I got out of my HP-CS AFTER A NORMAL CLEAN UP AFTER PAINTING,
Heres after cleaning normally
20150926_103958_resized.jpg
Heres after soaking 5 min in restorer

20150926_104255_resized.jpg
and heres after soaking 15 min in restorer

20150926_105607_resized.jpg
see all the old paint I Removed on the paper towel and q-tips
I use the lip bam to seal my threads on cap

Nice one Mr Base sir, I have said many a time as have one or two others "clean until you think it's clean and then again" this proves I'm not full of it, we'll at least where cleaning is concerned;)

I hope they makes this a sticky so that it becomes easy to find fir our new peeps.

Damn nice of you to take the time to show this, I believe our @JackEb did a similar thread a while back which makes me think an airbrush care and maintainance section on the forum would be a huge help to everyone starting out:thumbsup:

I confess to not going this far after every session but I do do it regularly and always before using a brush has lay unused for a long time.

Oh!! And think you were right to think that this message is so important it definitely requires 2 threads;)

Yes @Madbrush this is important :) like a good machine you need to maintain your tools , just a little warning : dont soak the whole airbrush , rubber seals can get damaged by the restorer

wow guess I'll be buying some restorer next paint order. I know my regular cleaning with alcohol and ultrasonic cleaner doesn't get everything. The lip balm on the threads doesn't interfere with painting? Thats a great tip as I've been getting bubbles in my paint from improper sealing during reassembly. Started putting lube on the threads. Fixes problem but doesn't last long. Speaking of lube what do you recommend. Should I just start a new thread about that? Iwata lube is expensive.

I bought the restorer on my next order after my fun and games as per my link an I must say its one of the items that should be on everyones 'starter kit list' !!
It has made life so much easier, and its reusable so its economical : )

so you soak the nozzle after every painting session? I usually run restorer (actually PPG's multipurpose solvent) through my brush and wipe the needle but I am not in the habit of breaking it down every time. Maybe I should reconsider.

so you soak the nozzle after every painting session? I usually run restorer (actually PPG's multipurpose solvent) through my brush and wipe the needle but I am not in the habit of breaking it down every time. Maybe I should reconsider.
If your not having issues with the brush after you clean it you should be good to go,But if you still have issues this could be why as it shows you don't aways get the brush as clean as you think

Get rid of the PPG JUNK , this is not a solvent based paint , This is water based , And do not spray restorer through your airbrush only use it to soak the Nozzle in.
You should not have to do it after every session. I only do it when the airbrush starts acting up. which might be once every 3 to 4 months .

Will try the Restorer again :).

So where is the Q Tip going? You're not getting that into the nozzle are you?? What about on a micron where it's itsy bitsy?

Will try the Restorer again :).

So where is the Q Tip going? You're not getting that into the nozzle are you?? What about on a micron where it's itsy bitsy?

I only use Q-tips (what we call cotton buds) to clean around the inside of the cup and them flush the cup out a couple of times before letting anything go in the direction of the nozzle, the little hairs that come off of them are seriously bad for nozzles and will cause problems, which I suppose is what you was hinting at, right?;)

Thought with all the questions about airbrush spitting.stopping and not working right I would show what I got out of my HP-CS AFTER A NORMAL CLEAN UP AFTER PAINTING,
Heres after cleaning normallyView attachment 39168
Heres after soaking 5 min in restorerView attachment 39169
and heres after soaking 15 min in restorerView attachment 39170
see all the old paint I Removed on the paper towel and q-tips
I use the lip bam to seal my threads on cap

For me, very timely as I just dealt with a "normal" cleaning that resulted in skips and splats. Solvent cleaned and all the nasties ceased.
Thing is, nobody wants to hear this because it means more time and work. Ugh.

I only use Q-tips (what we call cotton buds) to clean around the inside of the cup and them flush the cup out a couple of times before letting anything go in the direction of the nozzle, the little hairs that come off of them are seriously bad for nozzles and will cause problems, which I suppose is what you was hinting at, right?;)

Hmmm, maybe that is the source of my problems with poor performance as I use them time to time. The problem being that I start out with the tool working well but then it very rapidly deteriorates no matter what paint, additives, air pressure, etc., I use.
I'll start out with a hair-thin line and in 15 seconds its 1/16"/2mm wide. Solvent clean thoroughly and it starts all over again.

For me, very timely as I just dealt with a "normal" cleaning that resulted in skips and splats. Solvent cleaned and all the nasties ceased.
Thing is, nobody wants to hear this because it means more time and work. Ugh.
I've just gained my first teaching qualification and I had do a real lesson on any subject I wanted to. It was suggested that the subject was something you had knowledge of so I did a basic airbrush lesson with 4 setups. It was at 9:30 but the class didn't end till 4 and there was nowhere to clean the brushes out. By the time I got home I had left the paint in the cups for 10 hours Tried flushing out with water when I got home but it wasn't having it. Got the old urethane thinners in there and within a couple of minutes they were spraying perfectly. Gave them a good clean after too. Wouldn't do it all the time but once in a while is ok. Smells nice too :)

Lee

Hmmm, maybe that is the source of my problems with poor performance as I use them time to time. The problem being that I start out with the tool working well but then it very rapidly deteriorates no matter what paint, additives, air pressure, etc., I use.
I'll start out with a hair-thin line and in 15 seconds its 1/16"/2mm wide. Solvent clean thoroughly and it starts all over again.
I have the same problem, any paint, any mixture/reduction, after a couple minutes my nice fine lines start spitting and clogging, I clean the tip, blow it out, same deal every time, now short of cleaning out the airbrush every five minutes I'm kinda at a loss, the only variable I can think of is my cheap compressor "pulses" when painting a line you can see the paint get lighter and darker, thicker and thinner with the pulse of the comp. could this be the prob? I've got the pressure switch cranked to where the comp will stay on about the whole time im spraying, which is gonna burn it up, but that won't be a loss":whistling: then I can get a new one! Sorry for hi jacking the thread...:rolleyes:

Urethane thinner does the trick nicely, especially if you have teflon seals. But only use it when its absolutely necessary, after using it a few times I couldn't understand why I was still having issues and was told that too much use can leave a film layer that can be left behind after evaporation that builds up over time.. How true this is I don't know as people use it on big guns all the time, but maybe airbrushes being more precise are affected. Anyway all I know is I used restorer, no paint came out, put it in a sonic cleaner, again - there was no paint residue left behind, so I hadn't missed anything, but it worked just fine afterwards.

Also if you use thinners, make sure you are thorough, it will turn any paint into a sticky gummy mess that you don't want left behind.

Now I just use W50o after every clean up, a back flush if needed and then dump out and run a bit through to check the spray pattern, and it keeps everything in tip top shape.

Now I just use W50o after every clean up, a back flush if needed and then dump out and run a bit through to check the spray pattern, and it keeps everything in tip top shape.

That's what I've been doing. After normal flush/backflush with Denatured Alcohol and Water, I put about 5 drops in the cup and rock the trigger a few times so it can make contact with all parts of the nozzle. Let it sit for 5-10 and blow it out at around 50psi into my cleaning pot. It's kept nozzle obstructions down big time.

I've just gained my first teaching qualification and I had do a real lesson on any subject I wanted to. It was suggested that the subject was something you had knowledge of so I did a basic airbrush lesson with 4 setups. It was at 9:30 but the class didn't end till 4 and there was nowhere to clean the brushes out. By the time I got home I had left the paint in the cups for 10 hours Tried flushing out with water when I got home but it wasn't having it. Got the old urethane thinners in there and within a couple of minutes they were spraying perfectly. Gave them a good clean after too. Wouldn't do it all the time but once in a while is ok. Smells nice too :)

Lee
i have also used this urethane thinners lately after I used the white schmincke Airo color in my brush, this could not be cleaned with the airbrush cleaner.
but can the use of this urethane thinners not give problems after a long time?

i have also used this urethane thinners lately after I used the white schmincke Airo color in my brush, this could not be cleaned with the airbrush cleaner.
but can the use of this urethane thinners not give problems after a long time?
There Thinners so they can cause some problems Mostly from fumes being inhaled if you dont use a spray pot to spray into when you clean up, Also some Thinners are not good for rubber seals and O rings and they will swell or sometimes it drys them out so they get hard and break

Back