For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Not so hot fire...

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by [amw], Aug 12, 2018.

1. [amw]

[amw] Double Actioner

I was looking for something to easily attempt and really fire wasn't on that list - I can see how easy it is to go wrong, however I had look at this video of a bloke adding some flames to a toilet seat and cut myself out a really bad curve-shape from some printer paper. I also have no candy paint, so I had to use the transparent spectra-tex, mixed to (very kinda) the right colours.

Anyway, I was quite prepared for failure but ended up with this:
    fire_small.jpg

Now, it's bad (I'm the first to admit that), but it's about 200% less bad than I had thought it could be, so, in my own strange way, I'm quite happy :)

EDIT: Also, do other people find that taking a picture of things can make them look better? (hint: the fire looks worse IRL)
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Dimitris

Dimitris Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Hey amd, and hallo from me (introduce mycelf). :)
    You know, any start is a good start. Did you think that anyone's first attempt was 100% succesful? Nope, I don't think so. And surtainly not mine! :D
    I didn't knew much when I joined this forum. Or could AB like I do now (not that I'm expert!).;)
    BUT,
    by reading pretty much all the topics with little detailed info's, experiments and practice (a lot!), I managed to keep learning something new each time although wasn't successful in what I was aiming.

People will guide you better than me with info, but keep in mind that you'll always learning!

p.s. keep it for comparison next time you'll try fire again, and I'm curtain you'll see the difference!
    One tip: Try to add some freehand next time!
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  3. [amw]

[amw] Double Actioner

Can you tell I used a stencil? :) ho ho ho

Yes, one of the points in posting this is as a 'mark in the sand'. I'm also hoping that by seeing how bad I am might help others who are just starting out.
    doc1, jord001 and Dimitris like this.
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

I don't know many people attempting to paint real fire for the 1st time have done it perfect, moreover I know none:)
    What you've done looks similar to my real fire 1st attempt fun;)

To be more serious, I find painting the fire from a black and white reference real helpful. I mean painting with over reduced white on black surface.

To correct photo in order to make them better Photoshop works well.
    doc1 and jord001 like this.
  5. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I don't know anyone who's fire didnt start out like yours. Takes a lot of practise and a lot of study looking at what flames look like. Try to use the stencil only a little and you will have more natural looking flames. Oh and keep practising.

Lee
    HellBird and doc1 like this.
  6. [amw]

[amw] Double Actioner

Yeah, I realised once I'd started that I didn't have a reference and didn't 'know' what flames look like, however I can save that 'til next time

Oh yes, I need that. Whether I *can* or *will* do that, we'll see... ;)
    HellBird and jord001 like this.
  7. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

There are many kinds of fire. From the candle flame to the nuclear mushroom cloud.

It's like I've seen people use flames for a dragon's breath fire.. and it looks like they are just rolling out of the mouth. Zero energy or power.

Also watch as many Mike Lavalee videos and his facebook every week for a live video. He makes it look easy.

You can get pretty decent flames with standard non-candy colors... but they can take it to the next level in the right hands.
    HellBird and doc1 like this.