Nozzle issues ?

JackEb

The Dragon Hunter
Staff member
Admin
Hi to all
I'm ready to tear my hair out with my Iwata HP B plus....
I managed to do my paint pal and get it sent off (woohoo) but not without dealing with flow issues etc from my brush, so I did a complete soak and clean of the nozzle and brush, without resorting to a total tear down. put it back together and still wasn't happy. I bought a jewellers 60x magnifier which showed a bent tip on my needle. Ah ha I thought, that's ok, I bought spare needle and nozzle a few months back 'just in case'

I've just put the new needle and new nozzle in and im getting bubbles in the cup (water only) if I put the old nozzle in and keep the new needle it atomizes beautifully.
The new nozzle is a genuine iwata 2mm one but I've noticed that the original is almost flush with the aircap but the new one seems to protrude from the aircap a LOT further than the original, . could this be the problem ??
the photos below show the new nozzle, and the new nozzle and needle.

all thoughts gratefully received. . .

Nozzle (needle removed)
nozzle.jpg

Needle and nozzle
Nozzle and needle.jpg

Last edited:
Im no expert but that dosnt look like the proper nozzle, it shouldnt be sitting that far forward, thats why it aint spraying properly, you may have either ordered the wrong one or been sent the wrong one. If its still new send it back you should get a refund.

That was my first thought, I checked the package and even scanned the barcode on eBay and it came up with HP-b airbrush.
I'll query where I got it from tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply Matty :)

Thanks Jim. From what I can see the the tip of the nozzle from the 'nut' forward appears to be longer than the original !? And i only ever just 'nip' the nozzles tight,
If they made these little suckers bigger it would be easier to see :)

Thanks Jim. From what I can see the the tip of the nozzle from the 'nut' forward appears to be longer than the original !? And i only ever just 'nip' the nozzles tight,
If they made these little suckers bigger it would be easier to see :)

Jackie I believe there are different nozzle types for this brush and I have heard they have different threads, I think the only reason air can be going into your cup is because it's seeping through the threads, there's no way air could be sent back if the nozzle was too far forward, don't start messing with teflon tape and all sorts as @JCD suggests, we are not dealing with a cheapie here but in fact a precision (expensive) instrument, so do as @matty171 says and send it back, you clearly have the wrong nozzle and messing with it will cost you your guarantee as well as money.

@JCD I have the same brush and I mean no disrespect, but please refrain from giving advice on equipment you have no experience with, this could be very costly to anyone at all who doesn't have the experience to understand when such advice is wrong, and if a nozzle protrudes excessively form the cap, it is impossible for the air to travel backwards, and if the air is indeed restricted, the only place it can go is out through the threads of the nozzle cap or through the nozzle threads into the cup:)

Thanks madbrush, there's no way I'd put Teflon tape anywhere except the airline. After googling for awhile it still gave no clear indication that what I have is incorrect, it's really weird !
I've found my invoice for the order and will contact them tomorrow (it's now Sunday in Australia) and let you all know how I get on.
@JCD, I do value all answers to any question I have, but these brushes don't have o rings for the nozzle :)

As Madbrush said send it back . But the bubbles are comeing from the threads.
You can try using the old nozzle with the new needle Being you know the new nozzle is the correct one for the brush.
Also Bees wax is the best for sealing threads on an ab, sometimes with tight tolerances teflon tape will not allow the nozzle to seat all the way .

Oh I just thought of something . what size needle nozzle came in your brush?
Being you can get .2 , .3 , or .4 set up for it. Each have a different needle cap .
That may be the issue.

the plus versions have different nozzles than the normal versions , both are 0.2 but threads and shape are different this me be the problem you are dealing with

the plus versions have different nozzles than the normal versions , both are 0.2 but threads and shape are different this me be the problem you are dealing with

I believe that is correct, I have the plus version and was asked when I replaced the nozzle, I know the threads are different, and this just confirms what I mentioned above:thumbsup: OH! and the both take the same 0.2 needle:)

Sorry about that, for some reason I got it backwards and thought the nozzle was short and making back pressure.

At least I admit my mistakes and apologize.

Jim

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a .2 set up from new and I haven't changed it. Both the needle and nozzle were ordered as a .2 but I think You have found the problem, the nozzle does seem longer, although there was no issue with the nozzle thread, and I only every use my fingers for putting the nozzle back to minimize the risk of possible cross threading/thread damage. I'll see if I can get a picture tonight of the old and the new, just to show the difference.

@ronaldart is the winner for this puzzler. The vendor has confirmed that they have indeed been sent a batch of 'classic' HP nozzles under the same code as the 'plus' from the wholesaler and it wasn't noticed until people started having trouble . My replacement should be here in a few days. Hats off to Steven at 'airbrush megastore' in Australia. Your customer service is top shelf :)
Thank you all for your help on this one. I didn't even realize there was a 'classic' HP !!

@JCD, why did you delete your posts ? Like I said before, all input is welcome!

Back