O Micron vs I Micron

Lion-Art

Gravity Guru
little comparison with the dimensions between Iwata and Olympos Micron 0.18
The nozzle / needle 0.18 of Olympos are an bit smaller.
Now I have some image created and you can also see it is the best that if you replace your needle and the nozzle of the same brand and not replace needle from one brand and the nozzle of the other.

11796459_990659714287395_2274429041118140112_n.jpg

That is some serious taper on the Olympos needle. Thanks for sharing the info LionArt.

Lee

I found the same with the .23 needles on the Olympos. Because of the longer taper, they tend to bend a bit easier, but I get very fine detail and control with it.

Ok this may be a stupid question/statement, but to me they both look different sizes with the one on the left slightly smaller, how can both of them claim to be 0,18

It has the advantages and disadvantages, it sprays very fine and sharp but the needle is more fragile when you bump it.

Ok this may be a stupid question/statement, but to me they both look different sizes with the one on the left slightly smaller, how can both of them claim to be 0,18

.18 +/- what is the question.
Mike Learn brought this up about the Micron nozzles in one of his videos. He said he measured a batch and they varied quite a bit.

I know Andre but it is the same design as far as I know Iwata got the Micron design from Olympos.

Non is 0,18 I heard from Eddy that iwata is +/- 0.32 mm

Nice to see some one have the backbone to show the comparisons outlining the Iwata.
Saying that, I'm Not bagging them. I use em, and wouldn't have trouble in keeping so. But for years (els where) I've see so many pamper the name.
So Its refreshing seeing open views here, with out some one getting all defensive!....

Dan

First rule of top quality instruments... don't mix makes!! I'm not surprised to see different shapes from different manufacturers. For me I'd never consider buying an iwata part to fit in a different manufacturers brush - fraught with problems... :)

So how can Iwata claim head and matched need on replacement parts? or is that why the needle on the Iwata is less straight.
what is the tolerance on the Olympus nozzles?

I would understand Iwata are saying their needle and their nozzle are matched together... I guess if the diameter of the needle fits in a given airbrush and the nozzle screws into the correct place you could use them together... It would be interesting to see the two nozzles in elevation instead of the plan type photo on it's own, that may show if there is a difference in height of the nozzles. @Lion-Art can you post a photo of the two nozzles in elevation side by side, showing how high they are compared to each other.

It is impossible to have the head/nozzle and needle match. If this was true then Iwata will have to sell it only as a complete head/nozzle and needle set.

It is impossible to have the head/nozzle and needle match. If this was true then Iwata will have to sell it only as a complete head/nozzle and needle set.
Yes, I think there was covered under a different discussion thread a few months ago.

True. They cant. The cost would be to great. As said els where. And a few years back the same discussion was brought up.
Every needle would have to be machined, checked to the nozzle and machined again. All tooling wheres out.
The same process would have to be taken as Pro build High performance Gas/Fuel burning engines are assembled.. by HAND.

"Matched" as in CM to CM head unit= Marketing. But, at the end of the day, in their defense. The brush performs. Many of us would never need to look for better, unless your fine tuning your own personal tastes to match your work.

Dan

So how can Iwata claim head and matched need on replacement parts? or is that why the needle on the Iwata is less straight.
what is the tolerance on the Olympus nozzles?
The nozzle of the Olympos is also not 0,18mm but still smaller don't have the tools to measure them.
I have never ever change an complete head only the nozzles and needle the problem is more tha the nozzle need to be recalibrated to get it perfectly centred.

I would understand Iwata are saying their needle and their nozzle are matched together... I guess if the diameter of the needle fits in a given airbrush and the nozzle screws into the correct place you could use them together... It would be interesting to see the two nozzles in elevation instead of the plan type photo on it's own, that may show if there is a difference in height of the nozzles. @Lion-Art can you post a photo of the two nozzles in elevation side by side, showing how high they are compared to each other.
The height is the same (when i'm back from holiday I will post an photo) I have put Olympos nozzle and needle in Iwata worked perfect and the other way also, only not an don't mix the brands nozzle and needle. Keep the Iwata nozzle with the Iwata needle and als with the Olympos.

Back