Oil in the moisture trap

J

Jays

Hi Guys ....wondered if you can help. I'm noticing large amounts of compressor oil accumulating in my in line moisture trap on a regular basis, esp after a couple of hours of use. The oil level is at the correct level marking on the compressor oil level window..so not over filled...though this level seems to drop below the line when the compressor is switched on (presume this is normal)

I find I am topping up the motor frequently - bi weekly.....is this normal?

The compressor is only 4 months old and seems to run fine with no issues apart from I seem to have this oil in the air line ....when I drain the tank (weekly)I don't get much if any residue or oil at all....could there be a fault of some kind ?

Jays

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem a bit excessive, i would contact the manufacturer and ask them, if they feel theres an issue it should be warrantied .

It does seem a bit excessive, i would contact the manufacturer and ask them, if they feel theres an issue it should be warrantied .

Hey Jays, I think your problem is mostly your compressor itself. The oil you need for your compressor to run smoothly also comes in contact with the air its moving to your airbrush. So the air takes a bit of that oil with it towards your gun/artwork.
For airbrushing most will reccomend a compressor that runs without oil.
I know I probably didnt say annything you wanted to hear, but still I hope I helped a bit!

Regards, Andy

Hey Jays, I think your problem is mostly your compressor itself. The oil you need for your compressor to run smoothly also comes in contact with the air its moving to your airbrush. So the air takes a bit of that oil with it towards your gun/artwork.
For airbrushing most will reccomend a compressor that runs without oil.
I know I probably didnt say annything you wanted to hear, but still I hope I helped a bit!

Regards, Andy

I think he is running one with a fridge compressor. They have to have oil in.

I will definitely contact the manufacturer. I've never heard of them needing so much oil and maintenance.

I will definitely contact the manufacturer. I've never heard of them needing so much oil and maintenance.

States in his signature Bambi BB 24v, therefore you are correct, if the compressor is only four months old I would definitely contact Bambi, if there is a warranty it will be void if we all start tampering with it, although an in-line oil filter after the compressor would/might be an acceptable strategy.

I don't if your prone to moving the compressor around much, but if you are that could be part of the problem, I know that normal fridges should not be switched on four 24 hours after movement in order for the oil to settle and avoid becoming mixed with the refrigerant.

Is there something special about this compressor that the airflow doesnt come in contact with the oily parts then?
When I was asking around what to buy and stuff, It seemed oil lubricated compressors were a no go as you'd always get oil particles in your airflow wich could ruin your artwork.
This compressor is any dfferent then? Or have I been completly missinformed on the go oil free subject? Even though it does make sense that the air would take oily bits with it, I have no clue about how much it takes, is it noticeable in your paint?
No clue about if the amount of oil your compressor is using, is normal as I only have 2 oil free compressors.

Thanks for the replies....ok,so took your advice and contacted the manufacturer....

FYI.....in case anyone else has one....would seem this is the norm with the bambi budget range silent compressors something to do with the internal seal rings or lack of them in budget bambi models according to the engineer....therefore surplus oil getting into the airline and trap etc etc is expected and not unusual...looks like I will need a secondary trap. The Oil level will drop below the minimum level line when switched on as the oil gets pulled into the pump.

As for draining the tank...engineer states that as the drain valve is up and forward of the tank the compressor needs to be leaned forward and drained at 2 Bar / 25 PSI....May try this later see if any excess residue/oil has been collecting in the tank and thus causing the excess flow to the in line trap as to date I haven't seen anything from the tank drains I've done.

Thanks for the replies

Jays

Is there something special about this compressor that the airflow doesnt come in contact with the oily parts then?
When I was asking around what to buy and stuff, It seemed oil lubricated compressors were a no go as you'd always get oil particles in your airflow wich could ruin your artwork.
This compressor is any dfferent then? Or have I been completly missinformed on the go oil free subject? Even though it does make sense that the air would take oily bits with it, I have no clue about how much it takes, is it noticeable in your paint?
No clue about if the amount of oil your compressor is using, is normal as I only have 2 oil free compressors.

Personal preference I think, I needed a virtually Silent lubricated compressor with a large tank,adequate duty cycle so went for the lube motor option as it's recommended for airbrushing. To be honest it's a superb bit of kit...I was just concerned that the moisture trap was collecting more oil than it should ....to date Oil hasn't made it through to the brush so the trap is doing its job , if you don't mind the maintainence it's ideal. I airbrush in the house and didn't want to wake my son up in the evenings as My space is just down the hallway from his room.

As long as the oil trap is before the tank there should not be any oil in the tank or your air hose/airbrush as that should take care of it just drain the trap after each use,But if the trap is after the tank and at the airbrush end of the hose you will have oil thru it all the way to the trap becouse the compressed air carry's the oil with it.What I would do is put a trap both before the tank and after the tank that way you will be covered at both ends and your air line won't get any oil in it and wreck the hose and the paint

Hi Guys ..update .....tank drained (Leaning compressor forward this time) and looks like hefty amount of residue was in there.. this may have been the cause. Be handy if the manufacturer detailed this "leaning forward" advise in the operating instructions as I have been draining it every week and had nothing coming out....Thanks to all for replies ....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 16.35.31.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 16.35.31.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi Guys ..update .....tank drained (Leaning compressor forward this time) and looks like hefty amount of residue was in there.. this may have been the cause. Be handy if the manufacturer detailed this "leaning forward" advise in the operating instructions as I have been draining it every week and had nothing coming out....Thanks to all for replies ....

Well at least you know now:thumbsup:, that stuff in the bottles looks disgusting, lol, but seriously, as advised here already an oil filter between the compressor and tank would definitely be a good idea, at the very least it would keep that stuff to minimum as well as protect everything after it, in particular your brushes and your artworks.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted and I hope you get some fun out of it now.

Sucks to hear and hopefully well reviewed for others to stay away from that brand, personally would send it back and buy a better brand that doesn't have the same issue, really if your using that much oil then it says to me there is something inherently wrong with that brand, I know ya like it and fair enough if you plan to stick with it but I prefer a compressor that needs looked at once every few months, not twice a week, but best of luck..

Are you sure that you are not overfilling it?
if you are filling it more than the full level all the exceeding oil will be pumped out with the air and end up in the reservoir.

@WhiteKnight - no the oil is at the correct levels, though falls below when the compressor is switched on as the oil is pulled into the pump. @AndreZA no the compressor ships without oil, added after setup.

To be honest whilst this is pushed as a recommended silent airbrush compressor I think you need to be ontop of your draining and maintainence routine as above and need both fixed and inline moisture traps to protect your art work......if this is seen as a bind for some I would steer clear....I'm all in at £360 so will put up with it as draining has now minimised if not eradicated the oil collection issue for now (ie little oil if any now in the trap) but I suspect it will return if left. The Manufacturer recommends draining ever 1-2 weeks ....which is manageable for me.

Back