For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Old radial engine step by step Part 1

Discussion in 'Step by Step' started by Subzero, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Subzero

Subzero Paint cup bubbler Elite Member! Very Likeable!

radial engine resized.jpg

Step 1

First of all i used a projector to map out the main areas of proportion ie the centre disc and the valve stem rods, once all these were in place it was possible to sketch out the rest of the components, if they didnt look right then I just rubbed them out and redrew until it looked right.

The hardest things that messed with my mind was the fins on the outside of the cylinders, counting them and trying to get the same angles of curvature, drove me insane.

Once this was done, using frisket I started to mask off the centre disc from the rest of the image.

Mixing black and white until I got the right shade of grey base colour then applied it to the majority of the area but keeping away from where highlight or shine of the metal was showing otherwise that would be difficult to put it without obvious erasing marks.

For the holes around the edge I made a stencil out of a bit of card, a small oval shape because you want all the holes to be identical in size or as nrea as possible anyway.

Then using a scalpel I just scratched the left edge of the holes to get the highlight.
    IMG_4449.JPG IMG_4450.JPG
    Step 2

Using frisket, I masked off around the top cylinder head and painted it black, trying to avoid directly going over the fin edges but its going to happen unless you've got a dead steady hand which I dont.

Using a "10" scalpel blade the rounded type, you can angle the blade in such a way that you can control the width of the scratch, so I went over where I could see the sketch lines underneath and then dust over again with paint then re scratched a slightly thinner line. Once I waas happy with it then I set to work with a hard eraser and tried to create the none perfect cast metal effect.
    IMG_4462.JPG

Step 3

I masked off again with frisket the length of the valve rod and using blending lines, passed along the rod a straight as straight as possible.

After this stage I masked off the rod and cut out using the scalpel, the edge of the valve rod end and set to work. This Clay board is excellent for scratching and you can go to town on making the highlights and the shine of the metal.

I repeated this on all of the valves as once these were done I could get to work on the cast metal crank housing which I had no idea at the time how I was going replicate this .
    IMG_4479.JPG
    Step 4

Firstly I had to mark out and mask off the braided oil hose ( I'm not an aircraft mechanic so it might not be that at all).

Then I masked off the area for the spec plate and set to work on that, using fine line tape and a very fine paint brush for the lettering and my trusty scalpel for the stamp highlights.

Then I sat back and worked out how i was going to do tha cast effect. The only way i could see was to paint it black the using an electric eraser ( sorry Mitch) I spent hours making lots of dots, once that was done that gave the base for another coat which made the dark areas darker and the freshly erased areas darker, but still different shades but with a hammered effect.

then working out where the hight lights were going to be, I set to work with my electric eraser agian but as it was a highlight I wanting a little more of white background surface to show, so ths was done by doing the dots closer together but not enough to turn it completely white.
    IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4572.JPG
    Step 5

As I needed a change of scenery I started on the braided hose, again masking off and following the hose using a blend to fade into the middle.

The braid itself was done using a fibeglass pencil and scuffed the pattern in, that got confusing too due to the twist of the hose.

The colour of the metal hose ends was yellow and a little red and a touch of burnt orange all very reduced so i could build the colour up, the shaded with trans black reduced
    IMG_4576.JPG
    Step 6

To create the ignition ring I masked off the valve rods, and the cast area painted a base grey colour but again avoided the areas that would be more highlight than the grey itself, once that was done it was the blend and fade from either side to give the rounded affect, for the really fine lines around the couplings and the fixing brackets I used a fine paint brush.

Once I’d done this I started on the pump housing at the bottom of the picture which as you can see is more cast metal but a lot of highlights too.

IMG_4657.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Mac-Valve Maestro!

It's very good SBS:thumbsup: Thank you!
    All the explanations are great.
    Subzero likes this.
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Love me some clay board, what paint are you using...? Fantastic work
  4. Subzero

Createx Illustration colors, black and white, the white to make the grey and little com art trans black also etac yellow.
    markjthomson likes this.
  5. Subzero

thanks Vladimir, I tried my best