Olympos 100/200SB (Hybrid) .18 side feed

DaveG

Airbush Analyst
I had read a post by someone claiming that they had purchased an Olympos 100SB that had been "upgraded to Micron specs." Well, the sound of that had me feeling: 1) quite doubtful, and 2) quite curious - so, off to work I went!
First bit was to research what was what, and how would it be possible. I studied schematics, wrote down part numbers, cross referenced, and searched for all of what might be needed. Between the Olympos HP-100SB and one of the Olympos Micron's, the part list of things that are different starts at the head. The Micron has a removable head, the HP100SB does not. So, we start at the nozzle and needle. We get to the trigger (which is similar between the two) but, everything else in the body is different. The HP100SB uses a one piece spring retainer/chucking guide, while the Micron brushes use a multi-part arrangement that offers a good deal of adjustment, to enhance and customize the feel of the trigger. I was able to find all of the needed parts by scrolling through the Olympos parts list, and added everything up. Hmm, a bit pricey to say the least. Looking at what was available on the Olympos website, I realized that I could purchase an Olympos 200B (irregular b grade) complete brush for less than the sum of the parts I was looking to order. I wound up ordering 1) hp-100SB , and 1) 200B (irregular b grade) brushes -
100sb-w-200b-guts-1.jpg

Below we have the HP200 on the upper right, HP100 lower left - if you look closely you will see that the shape of the nozzle contour is different between them. The nozzle on the HP200 is the same nozzle as the .18 Olympos Micron, as is the needle used in the brush. For our custom build, the two nozzles are easily swapped from one brush, to the other.
100-200-nozzles.jpg

Below - HP100 parts on the left, HP200 parts on the right. The 200 sprays much softer then the 100 does, and atomizes much nicer. The interior of the air caps varies greatly. There is a secondary "tube" inside the 200's air cap that really cuts down on free space within the air cap, and helps direct airflow over the nozzle. Fine details are the name of the game with the 200 series. The performance approaches that of a Micron.
heads-a-and-b.jpg

Trigger and needle chucking/guide parts of a HP100 series brush (in this case, and HP100A). The spring retainer, chucking guide is a one piece affair. Any spring adjustment here is done by screwing the whole unit in or out of the brush body. With the rear handle screwing into the body, there is a limited amount of space for adjustment. The other option is to clip the spring...
olympos-100-exploded.jpg

The HP200 series (in this case a HP200B) has a multi piece sping retainer, and adjuster, along with the needle chuck, and guide. These pieces are actually the same as those used on the Olympos Micron(s), and offer a wide range of adjustment on the needle spring, so you can tailor the feel of the trigger pull to suit your needs.
olympos-200-exploded.jpg

I added the teflon needle packing and screw from an Iwata HP-B+ to this build. The Olympos screw in on the right, and it holds a rubber o-ring in place as a needle packing. The threads are the same between the two brands, and the Iwata packing screw is a simple screw in replacement.
needle-packing-1.jpg

Picking a rear handle - The top is the standard handle on a HP200 series brush. The middle two are off 100 series brushes, one with a preset, one not. When switching the brush guts, you need to go with a 200 series handle, because there will be a male threaded boss on the back of the brush body. I chose a handle from an MP200 with the preset back - same handle used on a Micron.
handle-tales1.jpg

Last tid-bit on the HP100/200SB Hybrid is that I chose to go with a trigger from an Oympos F1. It is a bit shorter than the standard HP100 series trigger, and has a unique shape. Not as short as the 200 series triggers, but the actual triggers are not swap-able between the two series brushes. One brush uses a one piece trigger, the other a two piece unit.
f1-trigger-1.jpg

The end result of the parts mixing is an Olympos 100/200SB Hybrid. It comes out to be a brush that is quite similar to an Iwata HP-SB+, only maybe a little finer. Being a .18 rather than a .2 of the Iwata, coupled with the internal structures of the air cap, and soft airflow of the 200, this Olympos SB works so well, it is a real pleasure. It has a narrower range of spray as compared to the Iwata SB, especially once you get past about half way on the trigger draw. So, it lives in the range of nice, tight details, and smooth gradations, and soft shading. I generally don't find the 100 series brushes to be much to write home about. Their performance is no more than middle of the road, and there are many brushes I would choose over a 100 series. The combination of the parts when mixed with the 200 series, is a whole different story. This is a brush that I really enjoy using. For me, it is not a Micron, but maybe the next best thing - especially out of the Olympos line of brushes.

First painting a did with the newly assembled Olympos 100/200SB hybrid -
Japanese-wc-koi.jpg
I have a bit of a step-by-step on my Facebook page if interested -https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1234046663367586.1073741851.1063587837080137&type=3

I will also add - I generally do not recommend Olympos brushes, due to the fact that once you purchase you are on your own. They offer no warranty, and really no support of any kind after purchase. If you have a question about parts for a brush you purchased, they will apologize while telling you it is a "company secret". Really? Replacement parts are secret? Every other maker on the planet will provide a schematic with part numbers... With that being said, they do tend to work quite well, and can be rewarding for those willing to take a risk.

Last edited:
Good write up @Dave G Seems a lot of trouble to get an average brush. I think Olympos are removing themselves from the market by virtue of their poor back up! Keep your Olympos for historical value... :)

Good write up @Dave G Seems a lot of trouble to get an average brush. I think Olympos are removing themselves from the market by virtue of their poor back up! Keep your Olympos for historical value... :)

I agree about Olympos becoming obsolete due to their business practices, for sure. At this point I see them as nothing more than an individual selling off new old stock, and not really as an "airbrush company" any longer.

Not so sure I agree about the outcome of the effort as being "average" though, as the brush actually does perform quite well. I would put it a cut above average. One little tid bit here too - with the parts that I had left over I assembled the other brush into a 200/100B with a .2, which works much nicer than a 100B brush by itself - so I wound up with two complete brushes, one very nice, one quite good, for under $250.00US.

The bonus brush - Olympos 200b body/100 .2 nozzle/needle/guts
olympos200b a .2  hybrid.jpg

Last edited:
Umm... aren't they out of business??? You aren't buying a brush from "Olympos" - you are buying a brush from some dude that has a million airbrushes. Its about the same as buying a brush from some yahoo on ebay then expecting that person to supply you with parts. To get a part they would have to rob another brush for it, and who's gonna buy a brush with no needle or nozzle in it? Obviously I don't know the guy personally, or have any real knowledge of how he acquired the stock, but if a large supply of parts was involved I'm pretty sure he would be selling them. Perhaps he is holding onto them until the brushes are gone so he can charge outrageous fortunes for them in the future? At any rate, it is my understanding that nothing is being produced anymore- its quite possible that any parts or incomplete units were destroyed. Or his deal did not include anything but complete saleable units. Only time will tell!

Umm... aren't they out of business??? You aren't buying a brush from "Olympos" - you are buying a brush from some dude that has a million airbrushes. Its about the same as buying a brush from some yahoo on ebay then expecting that person to supply you with parts. To get a part they would have to rob another brush for it, and who's gonna buy a brush with no needle or nozzle in it? Obviously I don't know the guy personally, or have any real knowledge of how he acquired the stock, but if a large supply of parts was involved I'm pretty sure he would be selling them. Perhaps he is holding onto them until the brushes are gone so he can charge outrageous fortunes for them in the future? At any rate, it is my understanding that nothing is being produced anymore- its quite possible that any parts or incomplete units were destroyed. Or his deal did not include anything but complete saleable units. Only time will tell!

Plenty of time has already passed - I don't think they have produced many brushes/parts since maybe the late 80's, with a small spurt again in the early 2000's. There is many, many years of brushes and parts in existence. I personally think that with what is left a smashing business could be formed out of it - I am just not sure the guy has the head for it. Several people have tried to promote the product, only to have it fall apart before ever really getting off the ground. This is the reason that every time I write about Olympos brushes, I make a point of mentioning the lack of support - they can be fantastic brushes, but you are on your own after purchase.

Plenty of time has already passed - I don't think they have produced many brushes/parts since maybe the late 80's, with a small spurt again in the early 2000's. There is many, many years of brushes and parts in existence. I personally think that with what is left a smashing business could be formed out of it - I am just not sure the guy has the head for it. Several people have tried to promote the product, only to have it fall apart before ever really getting off the ground. This is the reason that every time I write about Olympos brushes, I make a point of mentioning the lack of support - they can be fantastic brushes, but you are on your own after purchase.

DaveG,

I'm glad you like the combo and while it may not match a Micron, it is a damn fine brush, no? I like it and use it along with the Olympos SP-B as the two complement each other well. I have also found that the Mojo 3 I scored off eBay is with the Super detail O needle/nozzle and gets awfully close to the Hybrid and SP-B in fine line ability. not bad considering I got it for $36 with a spare needle to boot.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Jurien,

Wrong on the parts claim, as they do have parts and I am getting an order together for posterity's sake. Get some needles/triggers and needle packing with a spare cone for each brush and I should be set.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

DaveG,

I'm glad you like the combo and while it may not match a Micron, it is a damn fine brush, no? I like it and use it along with the Olympos SP-B as the two complement each other well. I have also found that the Mojo 3 I scored off eBay is with the Super detail O needle/nozzle and gets awfully close to the Hybrid and SP-B in fine line ability. not bad considering I got it for $36 with a spare needle to boot.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Yes, I do like the action of the Hybrid. I have several Olympos brushes, 6 or 7 (I think :)), and this one fits in very nicely. I have been using the (HP) 200B for quite some time, and this one certainly has a place next to it.

Yes, I do like the action of the Hybrid. I have several Olympos brushes, 6 or 7 (I think :)), and this one fits in very nicely. I have been using the (HP) 200B for quite some time, and this one certainly has a place next to it.

DaveG,

Did you used the HP-62A fluid nozzle cap on your build? I ask as you made no mention of it in your build post above. It is a worthwhile mod and changes the wee beastie even more!
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

DaveG,

Did you used the HP-62A fluid nozzle cap on your build? I ask as you made no mention of it in your build post above. It is a worthwhile mod and changes the wee beastie even more!
Regards,
Chris the cabbie
I did not, because the 200b's air cap is very different than the 100's anyway... I like the way it works.

I did not, because the 200b's air cap is very different than the 100's anyway... I like the way it works.

DaveG,

I saw you mention buying one, or at least it was on your "to buy" list. Did you get it? If so, please try it and voice your critique of this part and the differences you find as I am sure many would love to hear the final word on this subject?
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

DaveG,

I saw you mention buying one, or at least it was on your "to buy" list. Did you get it? If so, please try it and voice your critique of this part and the differences you find as I am sure many would love to hear the final word on this subject?
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

I did not order one, never planned to. I tested a few things between a few Iwata brushes, and these Olympos brushes before deciding what I wanted to do. The hole in the air cap on the Olympos 200b .18 is actually larger than the hole on the Iwata HP-B .2 air cap. I tested the brush using the smaller Iwata air cap and found it worked better with the original air cap on it...

Have you tried the 200 series .18 nozzle and air cap in standard trim? I would think there is a good chance they are the same as those on the SP. Have you tried the 62a's air cap on that brush?

Last edited:
DaveG,

Regards,
Chris the cabbie

Chris, I did a bit more researching - the air cap for the SP is different, but it is different in the way that it mounts to the front of the brush. The interior shape and size seems to be consistent with that of the 200b's and the way it would work in conjunction with the .18 nozzle used on them... my guess is that they work very much the same, as opposed to the more open internal structure of the Olympos 100series, or Iwata HP series...

Chris, I did a bit more researching - the air cap for the SP is different, but it is different in the way that it mounts to the front of the brush. The interior shape and size seems to be consistent with that of the 200b's and the way it would work in conjunction with the .18 nozzle used on them... my guess is that they work very much the same, as opposed to the more open internal structure of the Olympos 100series, or Iwata HP series...

DaveG,

I must have mistaken your post with another forum member. Someone else most certainly mentioned getting the cap, perhaps Jurien72?? I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between my HP-62 cap and your HP-200 head assembly? Any chance I could buy a F1 shaved trigger from you, is there? I do not have the machine shop to do it myself so thought to ask.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

DaveG,

I must have mistaken your post with another forum member. Someone else most certainly mentioned getting the cap, perhaps Jurien72?? I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between my HP-62 cap and your HP-200 head assembly? Any chance I could buy a F1 shaved trigger from you, is there? I do not have the machine shop to do it myself so thought to ask.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie
Nope wasn't me! :)

DaveG,

Regards,
Chris the cabbie

send me a PM, I have 5 or 6 of the F1 triggers around here... a file will do the job if that is all you have, but I can just as easily do one and mail it, if that is more comfortable.

send me a PM, I have 5 or 6 of the F1 triggers around here... a file will do the job if that is all you have, but I can just as easily do one and mail it, if that is more comfortable.
I’ve got an f1trigger, but can imagine what part did you file from it, can you post a picture or an sbs? Please

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Is there anything about the hybrid that you'd consider a notable difference from the 200, or are does this basically create a SF 200 using a 100 body?

I’ve got an f1trigger, but can imagine what part did you file from it, can you post a picture or an sbs? Please

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

The F1 trigger post is a little wider than the one on my 100SB. When installed into the trigger slot, as soon as the pins at the base began to engage the slots inside the brush, the trigger would bind against the slot. I removed @.002-3" off of each side of the F1 post, and it now works perfectly in the 100sb body.

Is there anything about the hybrid that you'd consider a notable difference from the 200, or are does this basically create a SF 200 using a 100 body?

The only difference at this point between the hybrid and a 200, like the (HP) 200B is the diameter of the air passage through the brush body. Using the more restrictive 200's air cap, and nozzle combination, I would estimate that difference to be negated, and would indeed say you are assembling a 200 series side feed brush just as they would be at Olympos if they offered one.

That being said there are several "levels" within the 200 series line - like the (HP)200, SP200, and then the MP200 - this build would be the bottom tier 200 - as I have said before, I have had the (HP)200B (purchased as an irregular "b" grade) for quite some time. The brush works exceptionally well. It is soft, small, and atomizes very fine - small detail work is it's game. Not quite as fine as a Micron, but close - I put the hybrid 100/200 build right in line with the same performance as the 200b's I have been using.

If thinking in terms of Iwata brushes, I would place the hybrids performance between the HP-SB+ and a Micron.

Back